It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Thyroid Issues - Need Help please!!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
JennaS
(female)

JennaS HB User
Thyroid Issues - Need Help please!!!

Hi,
I hope I can find someone that will be able to help me at least feel better about what is going on with me.

10 years ago I was diagnoised with Graves Disease after the birth of my son and I was rushed into having RAI. That was an extremely difficult time for me getting adjusted back then, going hypo and then it taking a while to get back to normal.

I was normal for almost 10 years on Armour thyroid medicine, until this past August. I was given a generic equivalent and starting having problems but did not relate the problems to the generic for a while. My doctor gave me a sample of Lexipro because of a strange sensation in the back of my neck and head. One Lexipro tablet landed me in the ER with a severe reaction to it!
Still I didn't put together that I was having problems also from the USP Thyroid med. I went from 3.1 on Armour to 0.04 hyper on the USP in less than a month. I ended up back in the ER, because I was having surges in my bloodpressure, with it rising upto 168/110; which scared me terribly! It was then that i realized I was hyper. I went back to my doctor and discovered that it was the generic medicine that I was taking and my dr. made sure that I had Armour; but since I was hyper he lowered my dose considerable and my condition worsened. I found a new Endo. doctor that just moved into town and she took my TSH again and would you believe in less than 2 weeks back on the Armour I had went from 0.04 hyper all the way to 19.5 HYPO! Still having problems with blood pressure being elevated; which was one of my main issues that caused me to seek out the Endo. I never had blood pressure problems before. The endo put me on Synthroid on Nov.18th and I started feeling better and better everyday; until about 2 weeks ago. I ended up in the ER again with my blood pressure surging. I think it is bouts of panic attacks, but not sure what is causing it as the doctors don't really say. My TSH was 3.0 on Dec.29th so my doctor doesn't think it is is my thyroid, but I absolutely feel that it is my thyroid...either not adjusting well, or getting too much again. I don't know for sure, but I feel aweful. I have been on Xanax fairly regularly and now I am on Lopressor to help with the blood pressure surges. The strange thing is that most of the time, my blood pressure is completely normal 117/77....so I am almost afraid to take the Lopressor because I don't want it to drop my blood pressure too low. My current symptoms are high anxiety especially at night, diarrehea, tingling in my head and face,most of the time. Feeling too hot at night, feeling like I have surges in adrenaline at night, feeling like I am going hyper.

Last night before falling asleep; as I was laying in bed, I got that terrible feeling again in my head and then my stomach started hurting. I got up several times with diareahea and my blood pressure went upto 148/98. I took a Lopressor and went to bed, but didn't sleep well.

I forgot to mention on Dec.29th, my Endo increased my Synthroid. I was taking 75mcg 7 days a week; now she has me taking it 4 days a week and 3 days, I am suppose to take one and half tablets. I only have done the increase for 2 days last weeks though because I feel that I am going hyper again. I called this morning to see if she will do another TSH, but she said it is too soon being that one was done on Dec.29th.
How do I get through all of this??? I so desperately want to feel normal again. I truly felt more normal about 2-3 weeks ago. Can Graves disease and thyroid issues really make a persons blood pressure surge; or is it likely this is from panic attacks also? On Jan.2nd my blood pressure went upto 150/129 and my pulse was 110. The ER doctor prescribed the Lopressor. The blood pressure issue is the scariest part of all this to me...because most of the time it is normal and then when I start to feel terrible or strange it goes up and then I take it again and it will be even worse than before. Has anyone else experienced this??? Also, why is the Endo saying it cannot be my thyroid, when I feel that is exactly what is causing all my issues. The only times in my life when I had high Anxiety and Panic attack type feelings have been when my thyroid wasn't adjusted correctly.

I am sorry to go on and on here, but I truly hope someone can offer me some hope.
I am praying daily for my healing. I am 39 years old and have a wonderful family and precious children and I just want to be normal for them again.

Thank you for your time anyone that may be able to answer.
JennaS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Thyroid Issues - Need Help please!!!

Are they testing anything besides your TSH throughout all this? TSH is not the best testing for monitoring your thyroid treatment. Do you have any free T3 and free T4 tests? Also have they checked your ferritin and vitamin D and B12 levels?
I would look at your adrenal function and see if that's contributing to your difficulties getting optimized. A saliva cortisol test is the best way to test for adrenal fatigue, but most endos don't necessarily believe in them or use them. I think that most people who have anxiety and hyper-type signs and symptoms with hypo labs are having adrenal problems.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
SandieRC
(female)

SandieRC HB User

Jenna, your problems sound similar to mine. My Tsh has also been all over the place and I am having terrible anxiety, although my anxiety is worse in the morning. Today my body is very stiff and tired. My heart rate and blood pressure have varied alot, but it is mainly my heart rate that gets high. Currently, I am having numbness and tingling throughout my body and body fatigue. Thenat night I have crashing fatigue where I can't hold my eyes open after about 7:30pm. Also, I wake up in the middle of the night hot and sweaty. Are you having any of these problems?Oh, also I was on Armour for many years too and didn't have any problems until this past spring when they reformulated.

Last edited by SandieRC; 01-07-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
JennaS
(female)

JennaS HB User

Please look at these number below...they don't make much sense to me expect for the TSH. I do understand those numbers! And I realize I have been on a roller coaster ride from hell with them! Where can I order a Cortisol test?
Here are my lab results:
9-1/09- TSH 3.7 -GYN Dr.
10/19/09: TSH 0.04 -GYN DR. that had me on Armour/then accidentally generic UPS.
11/18/09: TSH 19.5 Endo visit
T3 2.7
T4 .47
Vitamin D low at 19- prescribed 8 weeks of 50,000 IU vitamin D

12/1/09 TSH 16. Hypo

12/29/09 TSH 3.1
T4 1.09

Is it wrong for me to demand another TSH so soon. Maybe I am having both hypo and hyper symptoms at the same time. I so desperately want to feel normal and I don't want to end up at the ER again with my bloodpressure surging. I am 39 and at a healthy weight. Thank you so much for your response!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
JennaS
(female)

JennaS HB User

Hi,
I was having problems with needing to go to bed earlier than everyone else in the family, but now, I am staying up later and not sleeping as well. I tend to get a hot flash that comes over me; then my stomach will get upset and then that is usually when my blood pressure goes up. It can be completely normal all day and then when I get that tingling feeling come over my body; I just start to feel sick. It usually doesn't last very long, but it is a very unsettling feeling. Also, another strange symptom I'm having is that my breast are extremely sore about a week before I start my period. They used to be like this but to a much lesser degree. Now they hurt so badly that it almost feels the same as when I was pregnant/ very swollen and tender...but there is no chance of pregnancy! This has been happening for about the past 5 months since my thyroid has been so out of whack. I am trying to keep my sanity by practicing yoga, and mediatating, but even when doing that sometimes my heart /pulse will speed up. Crazy thing is that is almost always late in the evening or night when that happens.
I wish my doctor understood me...I feel sometimes that no one does. I am glad to have found this site.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
SandieRC
(female)

SandieRC HB User

Jenna, you sound so much like me! I am going through the same thing. Have you had Bronchitis or anything like that when this started happening? Have you been experiencing this for five months???? What do you take for thyroid medication?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Have you had your thyroid antibodies tested? You sound like you may be going through Hashi's swings as well as adreanal fatigue. See about getting your TPO and TG antibodies done.
You can order your own saliva test online, I use the Canary Club for the best prices on diurnal cortisol tests.
You should also start searching for a doctor who does understand you and what you are going through. Get the right labs done and find out whether or not you need to treat adrenal fatigue as well as get optimized on your thyroid meds. It can be a pretty daunting task at times but hang in there.

Last edited by javelina; 01-07-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
JennaS
(female)

JennaS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandieRC View Post
Jenna, you sound so much like me! I am going through the same thing. Have you had Bronchitis or anything like that when this started happening? Have you been experiencing this for five months???? What do you take for thyroid medication?
Hi Sandy,

This all started actually in late August. The pharmacy called me to tell me that they did not have the Armour available, but they had an equivalent. I had been on Armour for about 7-8 years without a problem on it. The very day that I picked up my medicine, I was at my family doctor and received a shot of antibiotic and steriod shot because I was developing a sinus infection.

After that I went into a terrible bout of insomina. I have never had insomina before in my life. It was also a stressful time for me because I was getting my kids ready to go back to school and also planning for a weekend dog show trip; where I had two of my dogs entered. About mid-week and while I had just started with the insominia problem; my entire kennel came down with kennel cough that they had picked up from a previous dog show. Of course I was completely devastated! This was our Clubs Speciality show and I plan for this show in particular all year.
That's when it all started. It went down hill from there. I went about a week with just a couple hours of sleep. I ended up getting some Ambiem and that seemed to help some. ...but little did I know that I was actually reacting to the generic thyroid medicine. As symptoms of it USP: are Insomina, High Blood Pressure; both of which I was experiencing for the first time. During this past 5 months..I have had 3 very bad upper respiratory infections. Mostly sore throats so bad that I lost my voice. I did not get bronchitis, but I did get sinus infections. This last infection was the week of Christmas...I went in for another antibiotic shot and steriod shot and come to think of it, I didn't sleep well the first night; so that might have been from the steriod shot, but I know for a fact that the week I had of insomina was from the USP thyroid med. My body just was not handling it well. That is also when I first starting having the strange tingling in my head/face/neck. Now I am on Synthroid and instantly began to feel better as I was at TSH 19 hypo; after being TSH 0.04
before that. I felt good for several weeks, but the last couple of weeks, I am feeling bad again. My doctor will not retest my TSH this soon as it was done Dec.29th. and was at 3.0. I just wish this tingling in my head would go away as it started up again. I felt this way off and on over the past 5 months; always when the levels were not right in my body. She just increased my thyroid medicine...and I am kind of scared to do the increase at the rate that she is suggesting. I am at 75mcg and she wants me at 75 mcg 4 days and to take one and half tablets 3 days per week. I am worried that I am going hyper again...but don't know for sure as I believe that I have been experiencing both hypo and hyper symptoms being that I have been back and forth hypo/hyper/hypo so frequently lately. I just want to be normal again. I know for certain that when I did try to go back on Armour, even it was not working correctly for me back in Oct....probably because my GYN dropped the dosage when he seen that my TSH was at 0.04. Then I wasn't getting enough of it. I thought the Synthroid was wonderful; until about two weeks ago...now I hope this is just a rough spot that will work itself out as the levels keep adjusting. I can tell that I do tend to panic at bit now; especially when it comes to taking medicine; after the terrible scare with the severe reaction to Lexipro.

I am keeping my faith strong and know that God will heal me. It is nice to know that I am not alone out here. I feel like my doctors don't really believe that I could be feeling this badly. I just want to snap out of it completely and be back to my normal self. I know that attitude has alot to do with healing and I am trying hard to keep my positive! Thanks for your email...it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Jenna

Closed Thread