It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Getting used to taking meds

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
fastkar
(female)

fastkar HB User
Getting used to taking meds

Well, it has been about 2 months now that I have been on Levothyroxine and I still cannot get used to taking it! Taking it with a full glass of water makes me nauseous. Of course, I am not the best water drinker either. But there are some mornings (well only twice) that I lay in bed and pick going back to sleep over getting up and taking the meds... but then I regret it because it keeps me from my morning coffee! LOL...

Since this is a drug that I will need to be on forever... how do you get used to taking it with all the restrictions that come with it?

Anyone else struggle with this?

Also, on a different note - does anyone go to a counselor to deal with all the emotions that go along with having a thyroid disorder? I was wondering if that is something I should seek out... any suggestions?

*** I am sorry I don't post to a lot of threads. I am not as educated on this yet and don't want to give uneducated advice but please know that I read them and hopefully as I get more information and more educated I will be able to respond more***

Thanks!
fastkar

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Reece
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Getting used to taking meds

What kind of restrictions do you have in your life? I've been on synthroid for 5.5 years, and do not feel any different than before, when i had a thyroid.

Also, the only reason they say to take a glass of water is because sometimes people find it gets stuck in their throats, I just take a small sip from the water bottle at the side of my bed and grab the pill next to it, and I take the pill early in the morning on my bathroom run (I'm old, this is a common run). If a sip gets it down, no need for you to drink a full glass.

It doesn't stop morning coffee. Why can't you have morning coffee after your pill?

If you are finding this so difficult, I'm wondering if you are unduly restricting yourself? You should be taking your medication around your life, not changing your life around this little hormone replacement pill.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Quote:
Also, on a different note - does anyone go to a counselor to deal with all the emotions that go along with having a thyroid disorder? I was wondering if that is something I should seek out... any suggestions?
I would say that perhaps you are still not optimized on your meds if you are continuing to have mental health issues. Low thyroid will mess up our heads and the goal is to get our hormone levels normalized so this doesn't happen anymore. Of course seeking the help of a counselor isn't a bad idea as well if you have issues you need to work through but going on antidepressants when it's more a matter of treating the underlying cause, hypothyroidsim, isn't always such a good idea.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The amount of water in a "full" glass varies according to the glass, of course. A juice glass doesn't equal an iced tea tumbler. Four to six ounces of water should be plenty enough to meet the goal of getting the pill from your mouth to your stomach; if you can do 8 oz., so much the better, but it doesn't have to be so much. It certainly doesn't require a really large "glass" of water, though.

I have coffee with non-dairy creamer immediately after my pill on most days. It might be best not to have fresh milk or cream in it ... But, if you are used to that, it would still be alright as long as you did it every single day consistently. You might eventually need a slightly higher dose to make up for combining it with the milk, but that's ok.

Another of the "restrictions" is to separate calcium and/or iron supplements from the thyroid med by at least 4 hours. I accomplish that by taking my first dose of calcium after lunch, the second after dinner, and the third before bed.

Taking your thyroid med doesn't have to rule your life. Really! Whatever snags you're running up against or concerns you have can usually be worked out in pretty easy fashion. Let us know how we can help if you have any other concerns.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
fastkar
(female)

fastkar HB User

You guys are awesome! Thank you! I guess I was adding too many restrictions on myself... The little pill bottle comes with all these red taped messages to do this and do that! I want to get the full benefit of this medication because I do not want to feel like this anymore so I was following it to a tee! But, now I see that the goal is to get it to your stomach. LOL... I thought maybe the water helped to dissolve and digest it before adding anything else - hence having to wait the hour or whatever.

Maybe I am being too hard on myself with this whole thing. There is so much information sometimes I just feel overwhelmed. I think because it is so new to me I am still trying to learn exactly what is going on it is hard to swallow - ha ha ha no pun intended....

Thanks again... I feel better now and realize that I can still get the benefit of the medication without all the restrictions.

I do put creamer in my coffee so I have decided to wait between the pill and the coffee... but that is just me.

With the counselor thing, I just feel I need someone to talk to about the emotional side to this condition. It explains so much of what has been going on the last 3 or 4 years - it is both a relief and a burden. I am a strong, happy person and I have lost that part of myself and just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience... that's all. I think sometimes women are expected to just pick themselves up, dust themselves off and move on and I want to make sure I am doing that in the healtiest way possible.

Thanks all! I really appreciate it!!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
FinnMaid
Senior Veteran
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

When I was first diagnosed close to 5 years ago I was of course happy to see the change medication made in me - I had been tired, "lazy", mildly depressed etc. for over ten years. When I realized that I had been unfortunate enough to get 2 kids with neurological issues and that there's a connection between untreated HypoT and these issues a huge crisis hit me It took like 1,5 years to get over that and when I managed to put those matters into their own "box" (there was nothing I could do about it anymore) I then realized I hadn't been myself in my entire adult life, hadn't accomplished pretty much anything (in my book) and felt I had had no control over my life. Little over 3 years ago I was suggested to go and see a therapist and with a bit of reluctancy I soon started therapy. It was mostly just venting - I feel I haven't been able to be honest in my relationship with the father of my kids (I still don't - his issues are always more important than mine - and there are plenty of them ). Getting a "proper job" also made me stronger and after 1,5 years on therapy I was feeling so much better - I still am although I'm again "between jobs" (planning further studies ).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 01-13-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Typos...

Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
fastkar
(female)

fastkar HB User

It is great to hear your story... thank you for sharing it with me... it is not always easy to be as open as that. Thank you!

I feel much the same way... I feel like I have "wasted" maybe lost is a better word - the last few years of my life. I did not have the energy to be the mom I want to be and sometimes because of sheer exhaustion waved my kids away. That is an awful feeling. I also feel that I have not been the person I was made to be.

I love your analogy of putting the past in a box. There is nothing one can do to go back and change anything. I realize that now and much of the hurt that was caused needs to be laid to rest and forgiven. I am sorry to hear about your children. I think that is a real tragedy trickling down the medical community. I look back now and see that my thyroid problem may have caused health problems in my daughter and also may be a reason behind my miscarriage. I feel guilty that I did not "catch" this earlier. But in same breath I can only look forward so that I can benefit my health so that I can be strong in case my daughter may need me more. How are your children doing?

I appreciate you responding. I am interested to hear what you are going to school for? Sounds exciting!

Last edited by fastkar; 01-13-2010 at 07:54 AM.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
FinnMaid
Senior Veteran
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkar View Post
How are your children doing?
I appreciate you responding. I am interested to hear what you are going to school for? Sounds exciting!
They just turned 16 and 17. My 17 year old daughter is now on "time off" from school - she was studying to be a hair dresser but a little over year ago seemed to lose all motivation (also with her hobby of track and field sports). It has been a roller coaster with her since she was 2 - she wasn't diagnosed with ADHD, ODD and this attachment issue (don't remember what that is in English...) until she was like 10 so you can imagine what kind of a mess with school and friends she was already in by that time Just when you think things are looking up something comes up again... At this point I'm so waiting for the time she turns 18 (and she's no longer my responsibility) but I also dread it Luckily we're not left alone with this (anymore) - the school is willing to help and we're also getting support from these systems that we have to help young people with problems.

My 16 year old son is doing better - we're now trying to figure out what he's going to do when he grows up. He was diagnosed with dysphasia and autistic features when he was 2 but has got a lot better with therapy (and his brilliant brain ) and nowadays shows just slight Asperger's symptoms.

I was thinking about getting a business degree in office services and managing data (or something like that ). There's a new law that allows someone like me with difficulties getting a job with my prior degree and physical restrictions to study on their own for 2 years to get a degree and still get this unemployment money (that is at least twice as big as the money one would get if one was a "regular student" and no need to take student loan - how cool is that )

Last edited by FinnMaid; 01-13-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
Septerra
(female)

Septerra HB User

I take mine at 7 pm everyday. I dunno, my doctor is kinda crazy, but he said he didn't care what time I took it as long as it was the same time every day.

Closed Thread