It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

hairloss

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
frenchie2
(female)

frenchie2 HB User
hairloss

Ihave some new results. A few months ago my tsh was at 5.6 and it is at 0.8 and my T4 at 20. It's the lowest it has been and I am happy with that but I hope I will see an improvement in my hairloss. Now 2 years with this, Ihope it was the reason . The doctors in England will not do the T3 test. How important is it? Could my hairloss due to something else. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
GBug
(female)

GBug HB User
Re: hairloss

I've been losing a lot of hair recently as well. At first, I thought it was just "that time of year". However, I'm having to clean my hairbrush out much more frequently and I'm seeing a lot more hair on the bathroom floor and my clothes. I was diagnosed bypothyroid in May of last year after gaining 20 pounds in a single month. I haven't notice this since May, but mostly in the last 2-3 months.

Anway, I started doing some research about hair loss this week and found several websites that indicated my thyroid medication, Synthoid, could be causing it. Unbelievable! Now, not only is my thyroid causing problems (weight), the medicine used to treat my thyroid may be causing my hair to fall out. Hair loss can be a side effect of Synthoid, unfortunately.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
frenchie2
(female)

frenchie2 HB User

Hi, what is the name of your medication?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
GBug
(female)

GBug HB User

levothyroxine (Synthoid)

Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
frenchie2
(female)

frenchie2 HB User

Ihave the same one and I also suspected that could be the reason but I also had hairloss before taking it so it is difficult to know. What about you did you have this hairloss before the medication?

Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Low ferritin is a big cause of hairloss. Also some do have that side effect from synthetic T4 hormone replacement. Being hypo or not optimized on your meds is yet another reason, and yes, without a free T3 test it can be difficult to determine how well you are doing because free T3 is the real indicator of how much active thyroid hormone you have available for your metabolic function.

You can look into going on desiccated thyroid if you're concerned about the levothyroxine. Many of us believe it is a more balanced and healthy way to replace thyroid hormones. In the UK this can be difficult, but not impossible. The RCPS is anti-desiccated thyroid and anti-T3 but there are some practitioners are ignoring this outdated and harmful policy and testing and treating anyway. You may have to look hard and do some searching to find them though.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
frenchie2
(female)

frenchie2 HB User

thank you Javelina this is very helpful and I am going to see an endo to get that test. My ferritin is up( it was 27 and is now at 125) so I can eliminate that from my list. I also have a tsh that keep going up every 3 months(20,.3.5,4.5,5.6). Then I raised my dose from 75mcg to 100mcg and now my tsh is 0.8 and I hope it doesnt go up. Any suggestions on why it doesnt stay level. Thanks

Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
FinnMaid
Senior Veteran
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

I have noticed that since I lost significant amounts of hair every fall for over 10 years when not yet on medication I still have these periods of hairloss on proper meds - luckily not losing as much but still. Your HypoT may still be getting worse and that can cause those rises and the need for a med increase.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 01-13-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

It would be nice to get a free T3 and free T4 level to see what's really going on with your hormone levels. TSH can be so unreliable and it's better to go by the free Ts and your symptoms. The fact that it's now suppressed somewhat may show that you're finally getting a better level of thyroid hormones.
Vitamin D and B12 are both good to check if you haven't already, both really important and often low with us hypos. Also many of us are deficient in magnesium and this can cause hair loss as well so good to suppliment with magnesium citrate (it's the most absorbable form) to bowel tolerance.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
frenchie2
(female)

frenchie2 HB User

Thank you very much for all your suggestions and advices and next time when i will see my doctor i will ask to check my vit D and B12. I will post my results as soon as possible.For anyone that needs to raise their ferritin level Iwas very successful in a very short time by adding 500mg of lysine and 500mg of vit C with 420mg of ferrous fumarate. You need to take it 5 or 6 hours after your thyroid medication.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #11
reba1985
(female)

reba1985 HB User

I've tried synthroid twice and my hair loss doubled in just a few days. I've been on
westhroid for 2 months now and the hair loss is down to a few strains a day which
was my normal loss. I also had hives on synthroid and skipped my period.
On levoythyroxine, the hair loss wasn't quite as bad but still noticeable. Losing your
hair is very stressful on top of gaining weight and feeling like a stranger has invaded
your body with this thyroid disease.lol Have you tried evening primerose oil?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
frenchie2
(female)

frenchie2 HB User

Hi Reba, yes I agree it is very stressful and and it affects me so bad that my social life is almost gone. It has been now 18 months that i am fighting this and I thing I may see the end of this nightmare. I have noticed that my hair loss is almost gone or normal, not much in the shower , on the brush and on the carpet. I dont want to get to excited as it has been only a few days. To answer your question I do take EPO but make sure that you have 250mg of GLA a day otherwise it will not serve its purpose.What is your TSH level? It' s also great that your hairloss stopped and how long did you have it for?

Closed Thread