It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Hashimotos: is this how it is for you?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Montanan
(female)

Montanan HB User
Hashimotos: is this how it is for you?

Hello my throid friends,

Do you.....
I was diagnosed one year ago with hashis and take 50 mg of Levothyroxine. I am feeling much better on meds.

So, is this how others with hashis feel?

...do you periodically feel like there is discomfort in your neck where your thyroid is? Like a lump?
...do you have good and bad weeks/days? Some days I feel like I can conquer the world, other days I cannot get my energy no matter what I do.
Is there any rhyme or reason to the good and the bad days?

I am grateful for feeling better but sometimes feel that I am no longer in control of my body and I don't like that.

Just looking for your feedback. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Paseo
(male)

Paseo HB User
Re: Hashimotos: is this how it is for you?

I was actually just going to start a new post to see if anyone ever felt bi-polar. I have not been diagnosed with anything as of yet, but I suspect thyroid and adrenal issues. Some days I can't seem to get out of bed and others I wouldn't say I can conquer the world, but I definitely can get through the day fine. I have found no rhyme or reason to this whatsoever. I can eat all the same foods, get the same amount of sleep, and still am wondering how I will do on any particular day. Maybe others can chime in.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

It's likely you are still not optimal on your meds yet. You should not be having these wild swings if you had good hormone replacement going on. 50mcg is a pretty low dose for many and some good labs will help determine if you've got high enough levels of free T3 and free T4.

The highest number of T3 receptors in the body are in the brain so when we are hypo it seriously affects our cognitive function. Many people with serious mental illnesses are found to be low in thyroid hormones. These "bi-polar" swings are not at all uncommon if we aren't getting the right amount of hormone replacement.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Montanan
(female)

Montanan HB User

Hi Javelina and Paseo,
I have two more quick questions.
I have been told that it doesn't matter when you take your thyroid level blood test, the medication stays in your system. I have been told you can take your medication per usual, before your blood draw.
I have also been told that you need to take your blood first thing in the morning and have not eaten anything OR TAKEN your medication in order for the results to be accurate.
Which is true?
Second question: My endo. said that I should just do a thyroid draw that I can order on my own, to save money without him ordering it. I appreciate that. However, the thyroid panel that I can ask for only includes a TSH and a Free T4... I have asked the nurse to add the Free T3 and she can only do what they allow. Any thoughts? Is it worth the extra $100 to get the T3?
As usual, thanks for your help! Deb

Old 01-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's a good idea to have your labs done before you take your meds in the am. Fasting isn't necessary but since you want to take meds on an empty stomach, you'll be fasting.

Free T3 is an important test because it can tell you if you are converting the T4 in your meds into the all-important T3. It can also tell if your FT3 levels are high enough in range, which should also be indicated by symptom relief. T4 levels are not as important as T3 because you can have plenty of T4 but if it isn't converting to T3 or is converting to RT3 instead of T3 then you're still hypo. Sorry this is a more expensive test but without it you are only getting part of the picture.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You can order a "Thyroid Panel 2 with TSH" which includes TSH, free T4, and free T3 from an online lab (which I'm not allowed to name or I certainly would) for $85 (for all 3 tests) plus a few dollars more in assorted fees. The way it works is that you go to a participating lab where they draw the blood sample, it's tested, and then they send you the test report which you can then take to your MD. You really can't beat the price and the results are reliable.

Last edited by midwest1; 01-25-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
Montanan
(female)

Montanan HB User

Hello Midwest1 and Javelina,
Thanks for your help. Paseo, I hope that you are also getting some direction.
Midwest1, I am about to google thyroid panel 2 and online lab and see what comes up... I may ask you for another hint if I cannot find your suggestion.
Javelina, what are our optimal free t3 levels? I read somewhere that it is 1.8 - 4.2. Do you agree?
As always, I sooo appreciate the advice!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Javelina, what are our optimal free t3 levels? I read somewhere that it is 1.8 - 4.2. Do you agree?
Lab ranges vary from lab to lab so a good rule of thumb is to get your FT3 levels up in the top third of range. Some feel best at the very top or even above and others like it a bit lower. What's more important is to go by your symptoms so if your FT3 is at 88% of its range and you still have symptoms then this isn't high enough for you.

Closed Thread