It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

feeling pretty badly

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
chimay
(female)

chimay HB User
feeling pretty badly

First here are my stats:
My TSH went from .005 to 24.710 in about 6 weeks. My Free T4 is 0.62.
I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto Thyroiditis and hypothyroidism. I just started taking 50 Synthroid mcg. in December.
I am now feeling worse. My throat is sore more often than not and i feel sometimes as if the is something stuck in it. I have an appointment this coming week. One question I have for anyone is ... is that TSH level very high? And should I feel this bad? Bad as in just feeling tired, blah, no sex drive and sometimes anxious? Will increasing my dose help? How patient do I need to be???
Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: feeling pretty badly

You will need some new labs at about the 6 week mark after starting your meds. Ask for free T3 and free T4 labs because TSH is not a reliable indicator of how well you are doing. It's more than likely that you need to increase your dose of the Synthroid to start feeling better.
Also ask for your ferritin levels as well as vitamin D and B12. Low levels of any of these will interfere with your hormone replacement.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
pagefam2
(female)

pagefam2 HB User

Are you seeing an Endorcologists they specialize in thyroid.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
chimay
(female)

chimay HB User

Hi, no I am not seeing an Endorcologists. Should I? I was told I didn't need to, but I am so new to all this I'm not sure what I should do. I have read a lot of information, but I still am not sure when seeing someone else is a good idea. I'm sure my doctor would recommend someone if I asked. I just know I want to feel good

Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Most of the people who visit the board have not found satisfaction with endocrinologists, including me. Very few endos focus on thyroid disorders and tend mainly to treat diabetes. There are a few good ones out there who have bothered to learn something new about thyroid since they studied Endocrinology 101, but they're few and far between.

See how far you can get with your current doctor. It's far too soon to think about switching yet. It's very, very typical to feel worse for a while after starting treatment than you felt before. Your body is used to squeaking by without enough hormone; now that it's getting some, it's in a state of shock almost. That will change in time, as long as your doctor is willing to increase your dose until you feel substantially better. MDs who focus only on labs (and especially on TSH only) instead of symptoms don't end up to be your best thyroid buddy.

But give it time.... Do not expect an instant fix if you want to avoid major disappointment. For most people, it takes at least 3 months and a dose increase or two before they feel good. I wasn't 100% myself for a full year after I started treatment, but I felt substantially better at 9 months.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
chimay
(female)

chimay HB User

Midwest...Thank you so much for responding.
How nice it is too talk with someone who really understands. It was such a shock to me to find out I was/am so out of whack. I have been ignoring symptoms for so long it is even hard to accept them now.
It makes sense that my body is going through a bit of a shock now. I see the dr. this week to go over my new labs and how I feel and hopefully she will up my dosage.
thank you again
p.s. is 24.389 TSH very, very high? I'm not sure just what very high looks like

Old 01-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Oh yes... 24 is very, very high. The average healthy person has TSH of about 1. I've seen reports of TSH here of over 70. But... TSH is not a true indication of exactly how hypo a person is, even though MDs are taught so. It's the free levels of T4 and T3 that matter. They are the actual thyroid hormones; TSH is produced by the pituitary gland and only gives an indirect indication of what that gland thinks the thyroid gland is doing. Some of the people I've read about here had the same low level of free Ts as others who had "normal" TSH of 2.5.

Your TSH is no doubt very high, but your very low FT4 is what's making you hypo and causing your symptoms. I hope your treatment will get easier and that you'll feel better soon!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
chimay
(female)

chimay HB User

Thank you everyone for your responses. It helps me so very much! Jeesh I never would have expected this to happen in a million years

Old 01-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
david45249
(male)

david45249 HB User

I've been getting treatment for my low thyroid now for 3 years and I still don't feel good. Sheesh that's a long time. Too long. I don't know if I'll ever feel good but I know I have wasted a lot of time with endos and other doctors who actually seem to know less than me. You mentioned feeling worse after starting your dose. Everytime I increase my dose of T3 or T4 I feel very tired for a couple of weeks. I don't know why. I was taking 125 mcg of Synthroid and 30 mcg of Cytomel and was feeling about 80% normal. My doctor increased my Cytomel to 35 mcg and a day or two later I now feel about 50% normal. I just want to lay around and I'm constantly closing my eyes to rest during the day. Does anyone know why this happens even after being on treatment for so long?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

David, have you tested your reverse T3 levels? I found my high RT3 was the reason I couldn't get optimized on my thyroid hormones. It's a lot more common than was previously thought.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
david45249
(male)

david45249 HB User

Not yet. I just saw the doctor and completely forgot to ask. I'm going to call him now and ask for the test. I think he's getting tired of me though.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good, make sure they run both a free T3 and the RT3 together. We need to see what the ratio between the two is.

Closed Thread