It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help Evaluating blood values please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
    GoodGrayce
    (female)

GoodGrayce HB User
    Question Help Evaluating blood values please

I’m confused with my thyroid values. There seems to be no definite pattern to figuring out an optimal dose. I was on Synthroid for 15 years (prescribed by a MD-DO) but I never really felt “good”. I felt the best on 1 gr Armour but my (new) Naturopath thought that was too high of a dose and reduced it to .5 Armour. I began to have horrible nocturnal leg & foot cramps. The Naturopath put me on a compounded T4 28.5/T3 6.76. I continued to have the cramping unless I took the thyroid meds right before bedtime which significantly reduced the cramping. I added .5 Armour to the T4/T3 compound (without consultation with the doctor, yeah I know - bad) and that eliminated the leg cramps. But my numbers continue to bounce all over the place. The only thing that has been consistent is high TPO indicating Hashimoto's.

Bloodwork history:

March 2009
    Synthroid .125

TSH – 0.444 (low)
    Free T3 – 2.9 (normal)
    Free T4 – 1.84 (high)
    RT3 – 351 (high)
    TPO – 887 (high)

May 2009
    Armour 1

TSH – 0.024 (low)
    Free T3 – 6.1 (high)
    Free T4 – 1.38 (normal)
    RT3 not done
    TPO – 621 (high)

June 2009
    Armour .5

TSH – 36.27 (high)
    Free T3 – 1.7 (low)
    Free T4 – 0.54 (low)
    RT3 not done
    TPO – 239 (high)

September 2009
    Compound T4 28.5/T3 6.76

TSH – 160 (high)
    Free T3 – 0.7 (low)
    Free T4 – 0.39 (low)
    RT3 – 99 (normal)
    TPO – 391 (high)

January 2010
    Compound T4 28.5/T3 6.76 plus .5 Armour

TSH – 44.07 (high)
    Free T3 – 3.8 (normal)
    Free T4 – 0.8 (normal)
    RT3 – 18 (low)
    TPO – 929 (high)

Just when I think I have the biology figured out, I get tossed a curve ball and get confused all over again. Is there a pattern that I’m not seeing? Have I been close to being on an optimal dose of meds? Any insight you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
    Re: Help Evaluating blood values please

Can you post the ranges for those RT3, FT3 and FT4 tests?

Your TSH is through the roof still so no, you are not optimized yet. Your TSH should be suppressed as well as your symptoms relieved to be right here. How were you feeling when you were on the 1 gr of Armour? Were you having any hyper symptoms? If not then that was a good dose for you, depite the labs showing low TSH and high FT3. You've got to go by symptoms more than labs and I'm surprised your ND didn't know that. You will also notice that your TPOs were at their lowest while on the 1 gr so that's indicitive that your thyroid was shut down enough to reduce the antibody levels-- which is what your goal is.

Have you tried taking selenium for the high TPOs? I would suppliment with 200 mg for a while and see if that helps. Also for leg and foot cramps you should take magnesium citrate to bowel tolerance. It will often relieve that and most of us are deficient in mg anyway. And have you tested your ferritin and vitamin D and B12 levels?

I'd ask your doc about going back on the 1 gr Armour (and if you have problems getting Armour try Erfa Thyroid from Canada or Nature-throid here in the US, Armour is not the desiccated thyroid of choice anymore). Hope this helps!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
    GoodGrayce
    (female)

GoodGrayce HB User

The ranges:
    FT3: 2.3 to 4.2
    FT4: .061 to 1.8
    RT3: 90 to 350

I was feeling MAHvelous on the Armour 1. I've had nocturnal chest pains for years and those went away. My cardioV system response was amazing. On the treadmill my heart rate used to raise to 150 to 170 bpm during a moderate set. Now I can increase the incline and speed and can't get the heart rate above 140. And no nocturnal leg/foot cramping like I see with lower dosages. i didn't know I could feel that good.

I talked with my MD-DO today and told him "let's kick this pig". He was very receptive to my research and gave me a script for Armour 1. He wants me to stop the supplements that the NMD gave me until I get balanced. THEN add the supplements to see if they are actually affecting/helping the thyroid. he wants me to try the 1 gr for at least 90 days and then retest. All that sounded reasonable to me. Oh, the MD-DO also ordered a thyroid ultrasound.

No on the selenium - I will start that. I want to get that TPO down - that worries me. Thanks for the tip on the magnesium too.

Yes on the D3 and B12. the B was ok but the D3 was way low. I'm on D3 supplements and my last test came back normal.

THANK YOU so much for all your help and advice. I GREATLY appreciate you taking the time to explain the mechanics and make recommendations. I want to get this Thyroid under control. It just amazes me that MDs, incuding Endocrinologists, pooh pooh Hashimoto's or claim they've never heard of it. Fortunately my MD-DO was aware and supports me on aggressive diagnosis and treatment.

Thank you also for the heads up on the Armour resource. Again, I greatly appreciate your time!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Glad this was helpful. Don't forget to check those ferritin levels too!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
    GoodGrayce
    (female)

GoodGrayce HB User

yes, I will. Thanks mucho for the reminder!

Closed Thread