It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• normal tsh high thyroid peroxidase ab

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
    smartiann
    (female)

smartiann HB User
    normal tsh high thyroid peroxidase ab

I went to my family doctor about a month ago. On my first visit, I had symptoms of racing heart, shallow breathing, jitters, and simply not feeling like myself. He tested my urine. He thought maybe I was dehydrated. He found that I had a urinary tract infection. A few weeks later, I returned to him. This time, I was feeling exhausted, achy, and had stomach pains. He asked me some questions about my medical history. My complaints of hair loss, constipation, dry/brittle nails, decreased libido, etc. gave him the idea that I may have an issue with my thyroid. He ran a full blood panel, including the TSH. When the results came back, the TSH was 2.76 and my LDL cholesterol was a little high. 2.76 is completely within range of

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
    Re: normal tsh high thyroid peroxidase ab

It looks like the end of your post was cut off.
    The ranges for TSH are completely useless for judging hypothyroidism I'm afraid. If you have positive TPOs then you've got Hashimoto's and will need thyroid hormone replacement. Your TSH is actually quite high, and indicates you are hypo, as do your symptoms. Hopefully your doc understands this and will give you hormone replacement to a level where your symptoms are relieved.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
    smartiann
    (female)

smartiann HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. Half of my post did get cut off. The rest of my post goes on to say that my Thyroid Peroxidase is 53. It isn't that high compared to some of the other numbers that I have seen, but it is outside of the normal range. Also, the endo did an ultrasound on my thyroid and found that I have an enlarged thyroid with 7 nodules on the left and 3 on the right. My family doc is running a general test for autoimmune diseases to see if that comes back positive. My doc and endo won't treat the hypothyroidism because my TSH is within the "normal" range. How do I get them to treat me? This is all very frustrating.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sadly this is a very common problem with many practitioners (especially endos) who are clueless about autoimmune thyroid disease. Here you've got raging symptoms and an elevated TPO and yet they won't treat because the almighty TSH is in "normal range". For some good info on how much a fallacy the TSH is for testing hypothyroidism and autoimmune thyroiditis look for the National Academy of Hypothyroidism. You can print out their info to bring to your docs to see if that will change their minds (though endos tend to be very rigid for the most part).

The way to correctly treat Hashi's is to replace your thyroid hormones to a point where your thyroid becomes inactive. This will stop the antibody attacks that are destroying the thyroid and causing so many symptoms. Often TSH will be very suppressed and well below 1 during treatment, but again, TSH is not a good test to go by for good hypothyroidism treatment. You need to go by symptom relief and your free T3 and free T4 levels need to be high in their ranges.

So you have to convince your docs to treat or you need to find another practitioner who will. Untreated Hashi's has some very serious health consequences including heart disease and even thyroid cancer. You will also need to have any nodules that are over 1cm biopsied to make sure they are benign.

Have you been tested for your vitamin D, B12 and ferritin levels? These are often low with hypo and need to be supplimented to have good success with your hormone replacement. You can also suppliment with selenium to help reduce TPO antibodies.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
    smartiann
    (female)

smartiann HB User

Your information is great! I was tested for B12 by my family doc and it was perfect. All of my tests except my LDL and thyroid peroxidase were all within the normal range. My endo made me feel horrible. He asked me if I was upset when my thyroid tests came back normal, and he said "do you want something to be wrong with you". I told him I am not upset because they came back normal. I am upset because there is an abnormality and you are not paying attention to it. He is so adamant to treat me for reactive hypoglycemia that he won't see anything else. Funny thing is, my glucose numbers are perfect. My family doc is a little more understanding and willing to help, but I can tell it is way out of his range of expertise. I am hesitant to go to another doctor because they seem to look at me like I am out of my mind. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for almost 5 years. We have had no luck. I hear that hashimoto's could cause infertility until treated. I am 33 and don't want to wait until the disease is full-blown. Thanks for letting me vent. My family doesn't understand why I am pursuing this and it is nice to hear that someone understands my frustration.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, I think there's a special class in Endo school called "How To Make Your Patient Feel Terrible 101". It's very heavily attended too

You will have to take a very proactive role in your treatment. If your present doctors are not treating you then you have to find one who will. You are not alone, many of us have been blown off by many doctors and have had to search far and wide for one who will listen and treat us. It's possible that if you bring good information to your primary doc he may be willing to treat you, it's worth a try anyway.

Hypoglycemia is often a result of adrenal fatigue, a very common result of going hypo for a period of time. Our adrenals kick into overdrive to try to compensate for low thyroid hormone levels and they end up fatigued and unable to produce enough cortisol for everyday function. The way to diagnose this is with a diurnal saliva cortisol test, which you can order yourself (the Canary Club has the best prices).

Keep working on getting the care you need. And yes, your untreated Hashi's will definitely interfere with your fertility and ability to carry a pregnancy to term. This is very important to treat on many levels.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Hi! If you see this doc again or your primary tell him to run a FT4 and FT3 on you, just for the heck of it.Tell them you've read that gives a real picture of what's going on and why your tsh is elevated. most normal people are around 1. If your insurance covers it, why not ask them.

Last edited by Bran'sNana; 01-23-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Closed Thread