It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• My most recent labs...what does this mean?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
    lulu2008
    (female)

lulu2008 HB User
    My most recent labs...what does this mean?

So I was told I most likely had post partum thyroiditis last Friday but the endo thought I also had Hashimoto's, too, based on my history (hyper at age 16, hypo after the birth of my first baby at age 24, hypo after my second baby at 26 and hyper and then hypo after the birth of my third baby at 28, 5 months ago.) Currently I am hypo w/ a high TSH (almost 17) and low T3 and T4. Anyway, here are my most recent labs...what does this mean? Could it indicate thyroid cancer?

Thyroid Peroxidase AB: <10 (<35 iu/ml)
    Thyroglobulin AB: 25 H (<20)
    Thyroglobulin: 34.2 (2.0-35.0 ng/ml)
    Gonadotropin releasing hormone: 6.5 (2.0-10.0 pg/ml)
    FSH: 8.0 (The ranges vary depending on your cycle but I am a nursing mom who is not cycling so I don't know why he ever ran this test.)
    LH: 3.9
    Prolactin: 41.0 H (See above)

I got the labs but the doctor didn't review them w/ me yet so I have no clue what this means..anyone??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
    Re: My most recent labs...what does this mean?

Well your TG antibodies for Hashi's are positive. I would also ask for a TSI to see if you have these antibodies as well, with the hyper and hypo swings. No, you don't test for thyroid cancer with blood tests. You need to have your thyroid ultrasounded to see if any nodules are present for this.

The other hormone tests are to check the pituitary. You are right though, why test FSH and prolactin while nursing...

You definitely are hypo with the TSH test. Are you on hormone replacement?Have you had your free T3 and free T4 levels checked? Also will need ferritin, vitamin D and B12 tested.

Last edited by javelina; 02-06-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
    lulu2008
    (female)

lulu2008 HB User

I have not had my T3, T4 or TSH retested since Jan. 13. My endo wanted to wait 6 wks from then to check again. I am also not being treated yet, he wanted to wait to see my labs first to see if it was only post partum or Hashi. If it was only post partum he wanted it to run its course w/o treatment to speed up the process? I am having really bad leg pains at night, they seem to come on around 5 and last until morning. From my thighs to my feet they hurt so bad its hard to even fall asleep, is that also hypo? Still having night sweats and major fatigue. I already had my B12 levels checked, they were 712 and my D was 43. I take a vit B complex daily, 2000iu of D3, 1000 of vit C, Caltrate (600 Calcium and 400 of D), and a multivitamin/mineral (I have been taking these for over a year now.) I can ask for a TSI and ferritin level when I go next. I did have an ultrasound which did not show nodules or cysts, just a heterogeneous and hyper-vascular thyroid gland of normal size with a sub-mandibular lymph node measuring .6cm short axis.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Joint and muscle pain is a very common hypo symptom. You can also look into supplimenting magnesium citrate to bowel tolerance as we can be low in mg and this causes neurological problems including restless leg, cramping and neuropathy. Mg citrate is one of the more absorbable forms, better than the mg oxide you find in most multis.

Hopefully your doc will treat you. Hormone replacement is the best way to stop the antibody attacks and relieve your symptoms. Make sure the testing your get for your hormone levels is Free T3 and Free T4 (the "free" part is important).

Closed Thread