It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH Third Generation - need help with this

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
    Lynva
    (female)

Lynva HB User
    Question TSH Third Generation - need help with this

I've been hypothyroid for about 7 years.

I've been taking generic Levoxyl on a rotation schedule of 50 mcg one day, 75 mcg the next and so on for a year prescribed by my doctor in Alabama.

Now here I am in Texas and my lab report last week showed TSH Third Generation at 0.75 but no other thyroid levels.

My new doctor tells me that I should now take only the 50 mcg Levoxyl daily based on TSH Third Generation at 0.75.

Is he right? Is he wrong? I would like to think he knows what he's doing but I'm not at all sure.

Need help on this one!

Thanks very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: TSH Third Generation - need help with this

If you feel fine now, you should fight tooth and nail to stay on the dosage schedule you've been using. Your TSH is by no means too low, and reducing your dose could put you hypo again within a few weeks' time.

If you feel fine, make the argument that your TSH is not below the lab range... Indeed is not even close to the bottom of it... and insist to him that you do not want to accept a decrease.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
    Lynva
    (female)

Lynva HB User

So you are saying that I should try to stick with the 75 mcg alternated with the 50 mcg instead of using the 50 mcg only?

I thank you so much as always, Midwest1, and apologize for asking for yet another response! (Guess it's that hypo brain fog at work.)

Old 03-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lynva View Post
    So you are saying that I should try to stick with the 75 mcg alternated with the 50 mcg instead of using the 50 mcg only?
    Yes, that's what I'm saying... As long as you feel good while taking that dose, of course.

I don't think much of your current doctor, trying to change what's working based on TSH only. Your actual thyroid hormones, free T4 and free T3, count infinitely more than TSH. He should be measuring those to check on effective treatment. If he gets insistent about reducing your dose, strongly consider finding someone else for thyroid management.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
    Lynva
    (female)

Lynva HB User

Thanks so much, Midwest1, for confirming.

I really don't know how I'm feeling as this doctor has thrown a couple of conditions at me that I didn't know I had (and I'm not at all sure that I do have) and has added an ACE inhibitor I didn't want to take. Fortunately, I was unable to tolerate the ACE inhibitor and he told me to stop taking it. I wonder how long it will take for it to get out of my system. Only then will I know how I feel.

Either way I will go back on my 50/75 and hope that he will not be stubborn about letting me do so since I will need new prescriptions for both soon.

I'm considering replacing him but I'm in a small town and don't drive outside its perimeters so I am pretty limited as to doctors. And of course I would have to find someone with a thyroid problem who is pleased with his/her doctor.

Thanks again. You are always helpful.

Closed Thread