It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• new labs need input please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
    sunnie123
    (female)

sunnie123 HB User
    new labs need input please!

Hi,
    I was told I had Hashi's last year and that the antibodies weren't terribly high.
    I am on a watch/see and my PA said he would treat my symptoms if needed and if I wanted a trial of meds I could. I have been feeling good lately so i wanted to get new labs. Sleep issues still arise but whatever I am learning to cope. I was having some heart palps the week I had my labs run as well as weeks before... I lost a couple pounds as well. Maybe the thyroid was kicking in gear.

March 04 LAST WEEK labs
    TSH 0.997(0.34-4.82)
    free t4 1.1(.7-1.8)
    t3 1.12 (.7-1.7)

OLD LABS from last JULY 09
    TSH 1.08 (0.34-4.82)
    t4 0.68(.7-1.8)
    t3 0.93(.7-1.7)

Have I improved??It appears to me I have. Do I ignore the lower TSH??

I have started testosterone replacement(sublingual) I started that only 3 days prior to my bloodwork. Could that be helping at all???I had a hysterectomy a few years ago. I am also on estrogen replacement. Too young to go without it. The testosterone replacement has been great. My mood and brain is functioning better.

IF you have any thoughts/ideas about my new results let me know.
    Thanks so much!!

sunnie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: new labs need input please!

Hi, It looks like your Ft4 and Ft3 are quite low. Please ignore the TSH, because it is only a pituitary response. The Ft4 and Ft3 are the actual circulating thyroid hormones in your system.

If I had continued to let docs treat me by using TSH, I would be quite sick.

Also, don't know if your doc has told you that Estrogen replacement might lower your Ft4 and Ft3.

It looks to me like you need to be on thyroid replacement. If you do not take thyroid replacment other health problems may arise, such as high cholesterol, diabetes,high bloodpressure etc.

The TSH should not be used to monitor the thyroid. Docs have just been taught to monitor TSH in Medical School. There is an ongoing debate over the TSH.....Good luck to you.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: new labs need input please!

Hashi's cycles from hypo to hyper and back many times before the thyroid completely shuts down. That's the likeliest reason why you had the hyper episode.

The two TSH levels you report are essentially the same. No difference. You can ignore them both, because it's the FT levels that count. The slight improvement in them could account for your feeling better. I guess it could be the testosterone, too. Supplementing testosterone isn't likely to improve your hypoT, I don't think.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-18-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Closed Thread