It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 23 and just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
    Jessm007
    (female)

Jessm007 HB User
    23 and just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

I was diagnosed last Sunday with Hypothyroidism. I'm not totally surprised to find this out, due to symptoms I've been having in the last 7 or 8 months of my life--joint pain, weakness, fatigue, depressed mood, etc. I was also bulimic and mildly anorexic in my teenage days, so more than likely this has contributed to my thyroid issue.
    But It seems sort of odd because I'm so young, have never had a child, and am currently in good physical shape. I'm not overweight and maybe this is because I exercise so frequently. I generally go to the gym 5-6 days a week and do intense cardio along with strength training. I'm still very afraid that I'm going to start gaining. Although I'm much healthier now when it comes to my eating habits, gaining weight could still be dangerous for me (mentally) taking into account that I've had eating disorders/issues.

My family wants me to get started on medication right away for this condition, but I am not keen on putting such drugs into my body unless totally necessary. I'm curious if anyone has had success with more natural forms of treatment? I'd like medication to be a last resort for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: 23 and just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

The meds you're supposed to be taking are not actually meds but hormone replacement and when your body is lacking these vital hormones the only way to fix it is to replace those hormones. I went HypoT at 18, had 2 kids when HypoT (not adviceable), never gained weight, got treatment 13 years later - felt bad all those years and couldn't live up to my expectations - don't want this to happen to others if it can be avoided. And your family is right to want you to go on meds.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 03-18-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

My thoughts are the same as FinnMaid's on taking the meds for being hypothryoid.I am hypothyroid and if I did not have my pills to take I would be very sick.Hope you are feeling better soon.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
    Summer2928
    (female)

Summer2928 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessm007 View Post
    But It seems sort of odd because I'm so young, have never had a child, and am currently in good physical shape.
    age has nothing to do with it, some people are born with it, some have it from childhood, anyone can develop it in any age.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
    Jessm007
    (female)

Jessm007 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
    The meds you're supposed to be taking are not actually meds but hormone replacement and when your body is lacking these vital hormones the only way to fix it is to replace those hormones. I went HypoT at 18, had 2 kids when HypoT (not adviceable), never gained weight, got treatment 13 years later - felt bad all those years and couldn't live up to my expectations - don't want this to happen to others if it can be avoided. And your family is right to want you to go on meds.
    All meds are a replacement and/or a mask of some sort. Anything synthetic such as the hormone replacement pills used to treat an under active thyroid cannot be good for the body for long periods of time. I don't understand this westernized view--drugs,hormones, meds, pills (whatever you want to call them) are the only way to fix these things. I've been reading about people that have had success from specific dieting and even acupuncture for this type of condition. I don't understand how so many believe the cause of Hypothyroidism is that the thyroid is not producing enough of some sort of hormone. It seems more logical that the thyroid not producing enough of some hormone is the effect of something else going on, such as a nutritional deficiency. Thank you for your advice, but I'll have to continue to disagree with my family and you on this one. I'm going to at least try another route of treatment to begin with.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
    Jessm007
    (female)

Jessm007 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Summer2928 View Post
    age has nothing to do with it, some people are born with it, some have it from childhood, anyone can develop it in any age.
    I'm sure anyone can develop it at any age, but from everything I've read so far, older women are at the highest risk.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jessm007 View Post
    Anything synthetic such as the hormone replacement pills used to treat an under active thyroid cannot be good for the body for long periods of time. It seems more logical that the thyroid not producing enough of some hormone is the effect of something else going on, such as a nutritional deficiency. Thank you for your advice, but I'll have to continue to disagree with my family and you on this one.
    Well you'll disagree with most of this board then I don't think "optional" (or any) medicine can bring a thyroid back to life after it has been destroyed by Hashimoto's thyroiditis (which is by far the most common cause for HypoT). There often are deficiencies with HypoT but they're often caused by that HypoT. I've also read about people going on these heavy courses of supplements ending up losing their money but still feeling bad. There are also natural thyroid meds made from desiccated thyroid - not just synthetic ones. And about possible "masking" - you may be doing it right now by keeping yourself active and your other organs are may be doing the job your thyroid is supposed to be doing and that also can lead to additional problems. Of course this is up to you in the end

Last edited by FinnMaid; 03-20-2010 at 04:01 AM.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:36 AM   #8
    Indianmist
    (female)

Indianmist HB UserIndianmist HB User

I was diagnosed with Hypo at the age of 14. At that time I was placed on 200mcg of Synthroid. But I went through a phase of not wanting to take my hormone replacement, because for 1, I was young, defiant, and didn't want to spend the rest of my life on "medication". 2, I was ignorant to the negative effects that not taking my hormone replacement would have on my body over time. 3, I just hated taking pills.

This went on for a few years, until I got really sick. Couldn't walk without staggering and bumping into things, severe body aches and muscle spasms, increased mental confusion and fogginess, dry brittle hair and nails, high blood pressure, enlarged heart, increased infections (colds, flu, mono), edema all over my body, and a host of other ailments.

Went back to the doctor and found out that I was becoming myxedemic, and he explained to me that my body was beginning the slow process of shutting itself down because I was not replacing the thyroid hormone that it needed to function.

Although rare, you CAN die from Hypothyroidism, so hormone replacement IS important, whether you choose to take the synthetic version(Synthroid, Levxoyl, Levothroid ect) or the natural version (Armour). Either way, you can only go so long without your "medication" until your symptoms become debilitating. And they WILL become debilitating eventually, as anyone who has suffered from thyroid disease long enough can attest to.

In my case, Hypothyroidism runs in my family - my mom, her mother, and my great grandmother had it. Also some of my cousins. So in this case, it's hereditary, not "nutritional". Besides, most cases of "nutritional" Hypothyroidism happens in third world countries where they lack sufficient vital nutirents, vitamins, minerals - things like iodine which are abundant in our country.

So Hypothyroism from "bad nutrition" is virtually unheard of in first world countries such as the U. S., Great Britian and so on.

Last edited by Indianmist; 03-20-2010 at 04:48 AM.

Closed Thread