It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New labs (Antibodies, Vit. D, Ferritin, Free T's)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User
    New labs (Antibodies, Vit. D, Ferritin, Free T's)

I have my new labs and I would like to know what you all think about these. I had a ton of labs done, but will just post the ones that are pertinent. I already know I have Hashi's and am on a VERY low dose of Armour (30 mg.). I still feel horrible and am scheduled to go back to the doctor to go over the lab results in April. I am hoping to get some opinions from you guys before I go back, especially about my TSH, T3 and T4 free's.

TSH 1.34 (range .43 - 4.5)
    T3 Free 2.9 (range 2.0 - 4.4)
    T4 Free 1.19 (range 0.82 - 1.77)

DHEA-Sulfate 57.2 LOW (range 60.9 - 337.0)

TPO-Ab 143 HIGH (range 0-34)
    Antityroglobulin Ab 144 HIGH (range 0-40)

Ferritin 8 LOW (range 10-291) I was anemic but that has resolved. Ferritin was a 2, up to 8 after a whole YEAR of supplementing with iron.

Vit. D 25 Hyrdroxy - 51 (after supplementing for 1 year) (range 32-100)

C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac 3.52 HIGH (range 0-3.00)

Iron Saturation 13 LOW (range 15-55)

LDL Cholesterol 126 HIGH (range 0-99)
    Total cholesterol 198 NORMAL (range 100-199)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: New labs (Antibodies, Vit. D, Ferritin, Free T's)

Bless your heart, I am sure you do feel horrible. Yes, you definitely need more Armour since your Ft4 and Ft3 are quite low in the range.

You need more Armour right now without having to wait till April. But, doctors are quite busy huh?

Wonder if your doc would give you more Armour now, if you tell him how awful you feel. Tell him or her, you cannot go on like this any longer.

Your ferritin is low, but you are supplementing right? It wouldn't hurt to get you some B-12 sublingual, might make you feel better.

Others will prolly add.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Your ferritin and transferrin saturation levels are concerningly low (which is often a consequence of autoimmune diseases). How are you supplimenting? Are you taking vitamin C with the suppliments and any meals with meat and avoiding calcium and tea before supplimenting? Without adequate levels of ferritin (above 50) you will have a lot of difficulty with the thyroid hormone replacement, which is very inadequate at 30mg anyway. There is good info on iron at the Iron Disorders Institute along with a list of foods to eat and avoid if you are trying to build your iron levels.

Low DHEA is usually a sign of adrenal fatigue. I'd get a saliva cortisol test to see if your adrenals need support too.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Yeah, I think she needs to find a new doctor.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

I think my doctor will raise my Armour once I get in to see her. She found my thyroid problem when other doctors just did a TSH and said I was fine. She tested my antibodies. I do feel like she will do the right thing, but I wanted to see what everyone on here thought about my levels before I went to her.

I'm frustrated about my ferritin as I have been trying to raise it for a year. It did get to 15 one time, but now has dropped to 8. It was a 2. I know what the cause is, I have terrible, heavy, painful periods that last for 8 days and come every 23-26 days. I have been using Progesterone cream that the doctor prescribed, but it has not helped. I have fibroids, endo., ovarian cysts, enlarged uterus, thickened endometrium, everything imaginable. I'm going to a gynecologist in April to see what can be done about all of this since the natural progesterone has not helped.

I think in my case I have a lot of problems going on simultaneously, and I can't get a handle on any of it! I wonder if the DHEA could be lowered because of the severe pain I am in for 5 days from my period. Does severe pain cause adrenal fatigue? I had my testing done right after a bad period.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I had similar menstrual problems and ended up suppressing my periods with birth control pills for many years. Then I had a hysterectomy when even the bc pills weren't enough because I'D had enough by then. I'm pretty sure this was all a result of my undiagnosed and untreated thyroid problems though. It's possible that if you can get on a good level of Armour and get thyroid under control the menstrual problems may resolve.

Adrenal fatigue is caused by excess stress, whether it be from emotional or physical sources. A very common cause is hypothyroidism because low thyroid causes the adrenals to produce excess cortisol to try to keep the metabolism functioning as it should. Eventually they get fatigued and can't function properly.

Closed Thread