It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• cytomel - how long until symptom relief?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
    MensaBarbie
    (female)

MensaBarbie HB User
    cytomel - how long until symptom relief?

I read another thread on this but it never really answered the question: how long after starting Cytomel can I tell if it is working? The specific symptoms I want relief from are: weight gain, memory loss, hateful mood. I was on Thyrolar 1.0 for two years and felt moderately better but my mood still seems to be depressed, I still can't remember ANYTHING and I have gained 15 pounds in the last six months. I started 25 mcg Cytomel last week after demanding a change in meds from my Endo. I do feel a bit more relaxed, less hateful and more patient after only a few days. In the past year, in order to lose weight, I had to eat a strict body builder contest diet and do cardio 30-60 min per day 6x a week. Before I went to ask for a new Rx, I was eating fish, chicken and green veggies with oatmeal and a banana for breakfast, about 1200 calories per day, and still gaining weight. All things considered, how long, at this high dose, can I lose the 20 pounds I need to lose? How long until my mood improves and stabilizes? What can I expect?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
    vanderty
    (female)

vanderty HB User
    Re: cytomel - how long until symptom relief?

I am new here to this board so I can only give you my limited experience but I started feeling better on Cytomel after a week. The memory fog, the hateful mood swings, started to lift. The weight went down a few pounds. I am like you I eat 1100-1200 calories a day and exercise 6 times a week and not seeing the weight loss I would like. According to my naturopath MD I am not absorbing the medicines, vitamins and minerals do to a "leaky gut" so we are working on that issue and as a result of that I have lost the stomach bloating and my clothes are fitting better. You might try googling "leaky gut" and see if you can relate to those symptoms.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #3
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
    Re: cytomel - how long until symptom relief?

Unfortunately that's difficult to answer because everyone is different and there are no "rules". Some people find the excess weight melts right off and others continue to struggle. All you can do is make sure you have covered every base, that your vitamin and mineral levels are good (and you've already got the diet and exercise part covered) and that you've ruled out other co-existing conditions like leaky gut, celiac disease, low ferritin, etc.
    Also the most important thing to have is patience because thyroid hormone replacement takes time. You may need to tweak your dose a little if you continue to have hypo symptoms but you must give it good time to work first as T4 is very slow acting and takes a while to build in your system after each adjustment. T3 acts faster and should be multi-dosed during the day to keep its levels constant.

Last edited by javelina; 03-23-2010 at 07:26 AM.

Closed Thread