It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Low thyroid and PCOS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
    partlycloudy
    (female)

partlycloudy HB User
    Low thyroid and PCOS

Was wondering if anyone else has both of these conditions. I'm assuming my PCOS is the result of low thyroid, but I've had irregular cycles/PCOS for some time now, and the low thyroid was just recently diagnosed (my TSH came up on normal on a test done less than a year ago). I guess low thyroid can be tricky to detect through the TSH test so perhaps I've had it for a long time.

Anyhow, I'm taking Levothyroxine. Will this help my cycles become more regular if my irregular cycles are a result of low thyroid? I've heard that Levothyroxine can actually make cycles more irregular, which I don't want. I spose I don't have much choice but to take this. Also, I've had some pressure in my chest on and off today - not sure if the Levo is causing this or not but I'm a little worried. I've been taking it for 3 days. Anyone have experience with this med, esp. if you have PCOS? Is it possible the low thyroid is unrelated to PCOS? I've been ultra-stressed and have lost weight (I'm underweight to begin with) with my new job which I've heard can cause low thyroid. It's just odd because I'm not heavyset, which hypothyroidism tends to go along with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
    tjtaryn17
    (female)

tjtaryn17 HB User
    Re: Low thyroid and PCOS

I also have PCOS and underactive thyroid. I think it is common to have both disorders. PCOS can cause hypothyroidism. I am on Synthroid for my thyroid and Metformin for PCOS... I don't think that Synthroid will manage your PCOS, so you should be on something for that. From what I have read Metformin is very helpful with PCOS and after a month or two your cycles will begin to be regulated. The discomfort in your chest is probably a combination of things, but since you just started taking the meds it is probably just your body adjusting.

Closed Thread