It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• thyroid lab results, solid nodules and possible Hashimoto's?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
    sadiebabie
    (female)

sadiebabie HB User
    thyroid lab results, solid nodules and possible Hashimoto's?

Hello

This is my first post & here are my lab results... ( I am 30 years old)

T3 UPTAKE = 35 > 32-48 %

THYROXINE (T4) = 9.3 > 4.5-12.8 ug/dL

TSH = 2.24 > 0.28-3.89 mIU/L

T7(FT4 INDEX) = 8.14 > 4.50-13.13 mcg/dL

THYROID PEROXIDASE AB = 488 < 35- IU/mL

I have had NUMEROUS thyroid related symptoms... for a very long time. I notice mostly stir towards Hashimoto's Disease. I have a terrible memory/memory lapses, dry skin, dry/corse hair, pale skin, thinning hair in the front (falling out), constipation, no energy, depressed, weight gain, dizziness, fatigue, severe menstural camps and irregular cycle, always cold, eyes very sensative to light, tight feeling in my neck, choking on food/liquid sometimes... the list goes on & on.. and problems have been getting worse as time passes.

I've had an enlarged goiter for years and asked new PCP if she could send me for an ultrasound, which she did. The resuts show 2 solid nodules, a small nodule on the right side and a 3.5 nodule on the left side. She sent me for a second opinion and an ENDO DR. While in the appt. the ENDO suggested a biopsy be done on the nodules because they were over the 1.3cm (or 1.5cm - i forget! <-- see!!) size.. However, when she turned the ultrasound on to look for the nodules, she could not find the right one and was unsure about the 3.5 .. Since my 1st ultrasound was done at another location, she had trouble accessing their image results and did not want to do a biopsy in the office without being 100% sure. She said my goiter is very much enlarged and 'lumpy and abnormal' .. She said with a lumpy/abnormal goiter, it can sometime cast shadows and look like there are nodules. The spot she believes -is- a nodule shows blood going through it.... ?? Well, now I have another appt. next week with another ENDO who works at another location, she wants him to do the ultrasound and if he spots the nodules, they'll do a biopsy in the office that day.

As you see from my blood work, all are in the normal range and the last result, the Thyroid Peroxidase just came back yesterday and it says 488?? I'm confused about all this, during the appt, she kept mentioning 'auto immune defiency' the entire time.. Is that the same thing? What does that high level mean, if the rest are in 'normal' range? My blood work has ALWAYS been in range or borderline hypo.. This is the first time I've been tested for MORE than the typical routine tests they run during a physical.

Any information/feedback/input is greatly appreciated !!

btw: My aunt takes meds for a thyroid condition - So it is in my family.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: thyroid lab results, solid nodules and possible Hashimoto's?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sadiebabie View Post
    the Thyroid Peroxidase just came back yesterday and it says 488??
    This means Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Your TSH is a bit on the high side (although "within range") and you should really have you FREE thyroid levels checked to see if you're really HypoT (which very likely is the case based on the fact that you're symptomatic - those total, uptake and index levels are totally useless).

Old 04-02-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
    sadiebabie
    (female)

sadiebabie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
    This means Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Your TSH is a bit on the high side (although "within range") and you should really have you FREE thyroid levels checked to see if you're really HypoT (which very likely is the case based on the fact that you're symptomatic - those total, uptake and index levels are totally useless).
    Thank you.

If the FREE levels come back in 'normal' range, what gives...

And I'm also wondering how this ENDO Doc could not figure out if I had nodules or not by the ultrasound she was doing.. !? Wouldn't it be pretty clear if there was 1 or not? She pointed out an image saying "I think this is what they're saying is a nodule'.. Especially if it was 3.5cm - She mentioned that the 'borders' were irregular or something as well. Does this make any senes?

Old 04-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    If the FREE levels come back in 'normal' range, what gives...
    If your free T's are in the low third of the range (or even below midrange) and you have symptoms then it very likely is HypoT - that's what Hashi's eventually does. Not an expert on nodules and stuff (although I have had cysts that haven't bothered me) but it does sound a bit odd that your endo wouldn't know where to take the sample Hope the next doc knows what he's doing

Last edited by FinnMaid; 04-02-2010 at 05:57 AM.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
    sadiebabie
    (female)

sadiebabie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
    If your free T's are in the low third of the range (or even below midrange) and you have symptoms then it very likely is HypoT - that's what Hashi's eventually does. Not an expert on nodules and stuff (although I have had cysts that haven't bothered me) but it does sound a bit odd that your endo wouldn't know where to take the sample Hope the next doc knows what he's doing

I was pretty convinced that I have it, regardless of my blood tests coming back normal in the past. When I started investigating thyroid disease and the symptoms, I was SHOCKED. All this time I've been telling my DR something is NOT right and she would always have an excuse for EVERY symptom. I eventually switched PCP's because this 1 refused to send me for further testing, etc. The worst thing a DR can do is tell you it's "ALL IN YOUR HEAD". I think there must attend seminars that tell DR's to say that to their patient. (wasn't the first time and she was WRONG about other issue I had in the past!) I am so glad I switched to a PCP who is actually allowing me to get further treatment.

My ENDO looked very young. She was SOO NICE and sweet, but young. So perhaps she's not that experienced?? Maybe this is also why she is sending me to another ENDO DR for another scan to see if he can see it. It's all weird !

Does Thyroid medication actually HELP the symptoms get better or does it vary..?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Does Thyroid medication actually HELP the symptoms get better or does it vary..?
    It very likely does once you find the right med and the right dose. If it doesn't it's probably due to other issues effecting the treatment of your HypoT.

Closed Thread