It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Symptoms of thyroid, but possible Chiari Malformation, help please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
    Jen1984
    (female)

Jen1984 HB User
    Symptoms of thyroid, but possible Chiari Malformation, help please!

Hello all! I am Jennifer, I am 25 years old from Southern Utah. I am here becaus I seem to get the best advice from others who are going through similar types of issues. I am at a crossroads right now, and I know that I am coming upon a diagnosis soon, however the road or "qwest" as I call it has been a very hard one. it started when I was 22 years old. My then Boyfriend now Husband broke it off for 2 months and I got very depressed and stopped eating. I noticed that my periods got wacky and I lost about 25 lbs. in a month. Well we got back together and thats when my body fell apart. I started eating normally, but my stomache like was freaking out, I was sick to my stomache all day long, losing weight but still eating. Fast heart rate, losing weight again without trying. Heavy anxiety and heart palpitations. I got sores all over in my mouth like ulcers or somethin. Doctors thought it was hyperthyroidism but took an x-ray of my thyroid and concluded it was normal. Anyways I still continued to lose weight, went nights without being able to sleep and had bowel problems. My symptoms began to ease up and that when it was found I was pregnant. My symptoms came back after I had my son and he was quite small. Anyways now what is happening, my visionis going out, I have floaters, my eyes even like hurt and get dry. I put on weight extremely fast, like 30 lbs. in two months, but what is the most maddening problem is that I can't exercise or else I feel like I will pass out and I choke on my food.

2 years ago I had am MRI done on my brain because my neurologist had found papelladema and they said my MRI was normal. He tested me for lupuslupus, MS, my ANA, lyme disease, scleroderma, everything automimmune, and it all was negative. Well I just went to a doctor who had my MRI results faxed over and they found on it that I am missing almost all of my septum pellucidum, accept for the fact I have it anteriorly just not the rest I guess. Anyways, I had an optimologist look at the MRI to see if that was the reason I have spots in my vision and double visiondouble vision. He said no that was not the cause. The M.D. has still stated that it could possibly be my thyroid I just have to get the blood work done. He said that maybe its getting bad enough that it may show uo on a test now.. who knows.

I have been told by a psychologist friend she thinks I have what is called a chiari malformation due to the abnormality in my brain, but I also have thyroid symptoms as the gaining weight, still lactating after I had my son 2 years ago, swelling of face. Also MRI'S are supposed to be able to pick that up, and mine had no sign of CHiari's. I have very abnormal periods. I seem to only have headaches about the time of my period. People with Chiari have headaches daily and suffer from gaitgait and things. They also suffer from major pain and numbness which has happened but not ahuge deal. While I have some symptoms one chiari I see many symptoms of thyroid disease too. My question for you all is with thyroid have you EVER experienced:

-swallowing difficulty
    -sleep apnea
    -IBS or bad bad acid refluxacid reflux
    -Can thyroid ever be so debilitating that you get anxiety or feel like you may pass out?
    Thyroid disease does run in my family, but no one has ever had extreme symptoms like mine. I am pretty confused and doctors are trying to help but maybe me talking to others about this who have thyroid disease may be able to shed a light on things for me. Thanks sorry so long, but if you have any input it would be nice and helpful.

Last edited by Jen1984; 04-09-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: mispellings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
    calloustalus
    (female)

calloustalus HB User
    Re: Symptoms of thyroid, but possible Chiari Malformation, help please!

Hi Jennifer,

I am sorry you have been going thru all of this with no diagnosis. That stinks!

I have recently been diagnosed with Graves Disease, which is a form of hyperthyroidism. When you were giving your earlier symptoms, I would have definitely said it sounded like hyperthyroidism. I am surprised they didnt do blood work from the get go. It is very easy to diagnose from blood and my Thyroid was not enlarged to see on a scan but my TSH levels in my blood work were extremely high. I also got an US of my thyroid not an Xray, so not sure why that was the route your doc took.

My thyroid symptoms are/were: nervousness, jitteriness- arms and hands especially, heart palpatitions with elevated resting HR (always more than 90 BPm at rest when normally in the 60's for me), always hot and sweating, some naseua, increased frequency of bowl movements/irritability, and unexplained weight loss. I know anxiety and sleep difficulty are also typical symptoms of hyperthyroidism but I didnt experience that too bad. Also Opthamolopathy is a common condition associated with Graves disease or hyperthyroidism. I dont know much about that since i thankfully didnt have that but you may google that and see if it relates to your eye symptoms. Also, usually the difficulty with swallowing is common if the thyroid is enlarged or you have a goiter. Which mine is not so i dont have that issue as well. I did not have any acid reflux and dont remeber reading about that either???

Now the unexplained weight gain doesnt fit in with the hyperthyroidism so not sure what that is about. I have gained alot of weight recently but that is because of the meds they gave me to slow down the thyroid are having the opposite effect and causing the gain-yuck.

Also, I have read that stress and pregnancy are huge issues which can bring on thyroid issues. Now I know the issues began before you were pregnant but maybe the pregnancy changed the hormones and you went from hyper to hypo??? who knows. Good luck with that and if you have any more questions about Hyperthyroid issues, I will gladly help out what I can.

Last edited by calloustalus; 04-09-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
    Jen1984
    (female)

Jen1984 HB User

That is what i am thinking, I honestly do think it was hyperthyroidism in the begining. I wish at that time they would have done a blood work up of my thyroid, but I returned to my old family doc and he said he tested my thyroid when I was 18 and it was normal so he didn' think they needed to test it again, it had been 4 years. So I don't know if my thyroid problems are just getting so bad that they are mimicking other things or what but I really do think my hormones are being affected somehow. Thanks for your input it helps to have people to talk to

Old 04-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

When I was 24, I had been living with my boyfriend for two years when we suddenly broke up. I had a very similar experience to you with weight loss and nervousness. I also had terrible, terrible sweating. It wasn't until 9 months later when a friend of my mom (who happened to be a school nurse) noticed that my eyes were bugging out of my head that I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Graves Disease. Not everyone develops the eye bugging, and it was so slow and subtle I hardly noticed it myself. I learned later that sometimes extremely stressful situations can trigger an autoimmune response.

I've been told that a person with hyperthyroidism can flame their thyroid out, so it's quite possible you have swung from hyper to hypo. Who knows. The thyroid is a very confusing thing.

I think you should continue barking up the thyroid tree. Do a search of thyroid "top docs" and see if there are any in your area. You need Free T3, Free T4 and all of your antibodies checked. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
    LG20626
    (female)

LG20626 HB User

Weird, I have Chiari 1 malformation (ACM1), just had my decompression surgery about 8 months ago.

I also tested hypothyroid a few months ago.

I think it's extremely unlikely that you have a Chiari malformation without the headaches. (and especially because an MRI would show it) The headaches are pretty much a given for those with ACM1.

I never had the swallowing issues, I had shoulder pain, finger numbness, daily headaches, dizziness, balance problems, hearing loss, nystamus and a few other neurological symptoms. And, of course, my MRI showed a 7 mm herniation.

With the hypothyroidism, my main complaints were fatigue and inability to lose weight.

I hope you get to the bottom of this, I know it's frustrating to not get a clear diagnosis and treatment.

Wendy

Old 04-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
    Jen1984
    (female)

Jen1984 HB User

Thanks to all the responses I have gotten I appreciate them so much. I think in the beginning it sounded like hyperthyroid, but and now I have the strange eye problems and the swallowing problems, that leads me to believe that it maybe chiari related. I kinda have been wondering if there is a possible link between the 2. Anyways, to the last response I recieved, you said that you had the decomprssion surgery, how did that go for you?

I think the doctors initailly didn't test me for hyperthyroid because 4 years earlier I had my thyroid tested and it was normal I guess they didn't see a need? I do get what I thought were severe period related migraines that only last for a day and go away, and don't come back til I am about ready to haveanother period. With Chiari's isn't an everyday thing to have a headache?

I am definately getting all the tests done needed to figure this out whether its an MRI again of my brain and getting my thyroid tested again. I won't let this disease or problem eat me alive, I will conquer it. I may not be curable but I will get it treated, I just have to find answers first!!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
    LG20626
    (female)

LG20626 HB User

Jen,
    The decompression surgery went really well. I had what my neurosurgeon called a 'text book' surgery. They cut a 4 inch incision down the back of my head and neck, took out an oval of skull bone about 2x1.5 inches, shaved my cerebral tonsils, patched my dura membrane with donor tissue and then sewed me right back up, LOL.

I was home in 2 days. (isn't that crazy?) I can barely remember the first two weeks-- I was taking pain medication and muscle relaxants every 3-4 hours. (as often as they would allow LOL) And right around 2 weeks, I was ready to only take the medication at night for a few days and then not at all.

I can honestly say, it was MUCH less traumatic than what I prepared myself for. I really think it was harder on my husband and kids (I'm 43, btw) because they were so worried. I was extremely fortunate in that I didn't have any of worrisome complications like infection, meningitis and donor tissue rejection.

I immediately had head ache relief, I was left with a very small amount of numbness in the very tips of two of my fingers, I still have to work the muscles in my neck because of residual stiffness but I feel pretty dang good, if I do say so myself!

It was hard losing so much hair in the back of my head. Didn't realize how vain I am, but that was hard to take. It was like adding insult to injury, kwim? I have med-long hair, so it's only finally getting back into a low ponytail now. It will be another year before it is the same length as the rest of my hair. That kinda sucks. I also have a kind of deep dent where the skull was removed, which is kind of weird and grosses out pretty much anyone who will feel it. But you can't tell I had it done unless I showed you.

All in all, it was a very successful surgery and not as bad as I expected. Thanks for asking (sorry I wrote a novel about it LOL)

Old 04-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
    Jen1984
    (female)

Jen1984 HB User

No thats great I am very very happy for you! I hope that it stays that way and that you have a new life so to speak. Its hard having a condition like this when you have a family as many of us do. I have 2 very small kids ages 2 and 6. My husband and I have been together for 4 years.I have one more question, is it just a given that anxiety comes along with chiari?

Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
    LG20626
    (female)

LG20626 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jen1984 View Post
    No thats great I am very very happy for you! I hope that it stays that way and that you have a new life so to speak. Its hard having a condition like this when you have a family as many of us do. I have 2 very small kids ages 2 and 6. My husband and I have been together for 4 years.I have one more question, is it just a given that anxiety comes along with chiari?
    I don't know, that wasn't on my symptom list-I never had anxiety. (other than anxiety about going under the knife, LOL)

I do hope you get some answers soon, it's great that you are being so proactive about this and taking the time to learn about potential issues. Hopefully, whatever it is can be resolved easily.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
    Jen1984
    (female)

Jen1984 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LG20626 View Post
    I don't know, that wasn't on my symptom list-I never had anxiety. (other than anxiety about going under the knife, LOL)

I do hope you get some answers soon, it's great that you are being so proactive about this and taking the time to learn about potential issues. Hopefully, whatever it is can be resolved easily.
    I agree! I have a feeling everything will work out just fine. Its just a trial! Thanksfor your advice, and thanks to the other great words advice!

Closed Thread