It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• confused. strange symptoms. please, help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
    statoisjj
    (female)

statoisjj HB User
    confused. strange symptoms. please, help

after 2 months on EFRA (i've been on 1/2 grain during first month and 1 grain for a last month) i am experiencing some unpleasant symptoms.
    my ears are clogged, i feel like i need to pop them all the time and during the arduous exercise they get completely stuffed, i have very slight vertigo from time to time, feel a edgy and nervous shaky (especially in the morning), my temp went up for a 2 weeks and now back down again, my hair sheds twice as bad, throat muscles are a bit tender. the last blood work (4 weeks ago and i was on 1/2 grain) was in low range. will be re-testing soon. the whole combo is worrisome. if this somewhat normal?
    please, any input is appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
    Re: confused. strange symptoms. please, help

You need some new labs to see if you are still undermedicated. Often people dont raise their dose enough to get to the right level of medication so get your free T3 and free T4 levels done. Also you should get your vitamin D, B12 and ferritin tested and saliva cortisol testing may be needed if you continue to have problems because underlying adrenal fatigue can contribute to problems.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
    statoisjj
    (female)

statoisjj HB User

i take d, b12 and iron. i do have low ferritin, but it is climbing up. every time i up the dose, i have all of these symptoms for next several weeks accompanied by enormous loss of hair. is this just a part of a process or is it something to be really concerned about? am i going hyper? and the symptoms are due to to much meds?

Old 04-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It's hard to say without labs if you are going hyper or not but at one grain it's very unlikely. How are your ferritin levels now? They have to be at least 50 for most to have any luck with hormone replacment (and if you retest make sure to stop iron suppliments for 5 days before the test). Have you tested your adrenals with saliva cortisol testing? Low cortisol is the most common reason why hormone replacement doesnt' work well.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
    statoisjj
    (female)

statoisjj HB User

my ferritin started at 13. a month ago it was 29, but i did not know to stop the iron before the test, so it may actually be lower. have not tested adrenals.
    but before going the adrenals path, i was just wondering - is it somewhat normal to dump load of hair and not feel well while increasing meds?

Old 04-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I've been on Erfa for a long time and never felt too much change when increasing but everyone is different when it comes to thyroid meds. People can have all kinds of strange reactions and it seems to always boil down to either adrenals or ferritin or B12 or some other deficiency. With your ferritin so low you may not be able to tolerate the T3 very well at this point and usually shedding hair is a ferritin issue.

Closed Thread