It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Edema with well treated Hashimotos

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
    SharonRL
    (female)

SharonRL HB User
    Edema with well treated Hashimotos

Hi all. I just discovered this board and am glad to have a resource.

Brief: Diagnosed with Hashimotos in Dec. 2008. Probably had it for 8-10 years without knowing. Took a while to get regulated, but my levels are good on Levothyroxine 0.175mcg and 0.150mcg. Last labs on 4/15: T3 free 278, TSH 1.90, Thyroxine free 1.00, Ferritin 37, Vit D25 is 37. CBC is normal. A change was my triglycerides and VLDL cholesterol, which were both slightly above normal when they have been normal all along. My HDL has been low all along (current 36) but I could not take the Niacin without reacting horribly.

Symptoms wise I feel some improvement, but not exactly 100% improved.

Over the past two months I have become very edematous to lower extremities. This is a new development. I never had this before, at least not to the degree now suffering. Easily 3-4+ pitting and I gained nearly 20 pounds since my last visit 3 months ago!

Regular MD started me on Lasix and that is helping. Endo MD said the edema was not related to thyroid issues, but is having me do a 24 hour urine and CMP (pending).

Now, my concern is that I see edema as a frequent side effect of hypothyroid, but usually when untreated. Anyone have any idea why I would be getting this now when my levels are normal? Is my MD wrong in his assessment? Any ideas on ways to help the edema besides the obvious of drinking fluids, exercise, etc?

Thanks for any input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Edema with well treated Hashimotos

Hi, I am wondering if you might have too low of an Ft3. Are you converting to T3 from your T4?

Ft3 is the active hormone. If it is low, you can have hypo symptoms.

It does take six to eight weeks for the T4 to buildup in your system.

I am wishing you good luck in finding out what is causing your edema.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
    javelina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
    Re: Edema with well treated Hashimotos

I hope you've been supplimenting iron and vitamin D with that low ferritin and vitamin D level. Without getting them up into better range you will have problems converting your T4 and be having lingering hypo problems (and it very well could be the cause of your water retention and rising cholesterol). Also with that highish TSH you don't seem to be well controlled, TSH should be below 1 for most of us to be symptom free. You may need a dosage increase and/or some T3 added to your hormone replacement.

Last edited by javelina; 05-07-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Closed Thread