It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New Results, Doc says normal BUT T4 seems low, any help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
    Jen1984
    (female)

Jen1984 HB User
    New Results, Doc says normal BUT T4 seems low, any help?

Hi everyone. I went to the E.R. last night, sick of not being able to swallow my food! And gasping for air in my sleep. They immediately tested the thyroid. The E.R. doc says that I am healthy as a horse. But when I get home and do some research on the national oncology web site looks like my TSH is normal BUT my T4 is very low normal brderline. Will anyone help me to know if I need to look at other diseases as the culprit or if these findings are something to be investigated further? I have been tested so many times for lupus, MS, Celiac disease, Chiari Malformation, anything you can imagine.

My labs are

TSH 1.66 (NORMAL 0.45-4.67)
    FREE T4 0.83 (NORMAL 0.71-1.85)

I have all of the symptoms, I think I even have like eye disease. Not to mention I have choking probs!!! I am tired, I am still lactating after my son was born two years ago AND I have put on 70 lbs.this year alone... The us oncology web page says that their normal ranges for the Free T4 are 0.8- 1.8 so if this is so than I think I am fighting hypothyroidism. But please if any of you have any input it is gladly welcome. Don't be afraid to say I am wacked out and need to shut up either! lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: New Results, Doc says normal BUT T4 seems low, any help?

Don't expect most MDs to understand that the lowest end of the FT4 range is "normal" for almost no one. The range is only that - a range in which all supposedly healthy people are represented. Only a rare one will feel well when FT4 is at either end of that range; most feel well only when the level is 50%-75% of its range. Think of it like a shoe range. There's one place within it that "fits" you. Just as you can't wear any shoe size in the standard range, you can't be expected to "wear" a thyroid level that doesn't fit you.

In the ER (and most MDs' offices), you're told you're "healthy as a horse" because they take into account mostly the so-called normal TSH. But the majority of hypoT cases are caused by an autoimmune disorder known as Hashimoto's disease. The antibodies that cause it tend to keep a lid on TSH, which is why that can look so darned "normal" even after FT4 (and probably FT3) have plunged into the basement levels. And it's why it's so hard to get diagnosed, alas.

Just wondering... Did the ER doc palpate your neck to check for thyroid enlargement? So often they pronounce us "healthy" based on bloodwork alone and don't even bother with this basic exam.

Find yourself a doc who will run this panel of tests: TSH, free T4, free T3, and the thyroid antibody tests for hypoT - TPO and Tg. This will give you the best idea of your thyroid status. Oh yeah, and make sure they do a "neck check", too.

No, you aren't "whacked". You're like so many of us who had to fight our way to a diagnosis and treatment. I'm here to tell you to keep fighting. It's worth it.

Last edited by midwest1; 05-25-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
    Jen1984
    (female)

Jen1984 HB User

No he did not do that at all. He said at the beginning of the visit he would do an x ray on it and didn't eve do that.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
    Jen1984
    (female)

Jen1984 HB User

I wanted to mention that I have called 2 labs in town, their free t4 normal ranges are .82-1.77, and my free t4 is 0.83. Is therea possibility I could be borderline hypo? Thanks for your input Midwest, I need to have my Doc run all thos tests on me.. He seems to care a whole lot more! He is just out of pocket and its kinda expensive to see him, but I willsee him soon I HOPE!!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jen1984 View Post
    I wanted to mention that I have called 2 labs in town, their free t4 normal ranges are .82-1.77, and my free t4 is 0.83. Is therea possibility I could be borderline hypo?
    Yes there is - and if there are obvious symptoms then it's not "borderline" in my book but just plain hypoT

Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

It's more than possible you're hypo... It's just about certain. No "borderline" about it!

You must take your result within the context of the range of the lab that did the test. That's okay, you're still hypo and no better off, even though the range used starts lower. Your result of .83 is about 10% of the range. The average healthy person - without thyroid disease - would probably have a free T4 level of around 70% of its range, or 1.5 using the hosp. lab's standard.

I'm glad you have a doctor you respect and who respects you. Get the tests I mentioned. Let us know what happens, ok?

Old 05-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
    Jen1984
    (female)

Jen1984 HB User

Thank you all. I went to a doc yesterday at a free clinic who said that my labs are 'so normal' and that I am choling on my food because of stress and anxiety. Wouldn't even let me talk! Said that I needed to lose some weight and my problems would go away. As we were walking out of the room he said that my little 2 year old son had ADHD and I needed to have him evaluated. I was so ****** off needless to say and hope that none of you ever have to go through that with any doctors. I will try to get into my normal MD this week. He is out of pocket so its really hard to see him because I am poor. I will definately keep you all up to date. If any of you have had similar experiences with illusive lab results, please share how you overcame this hurdle!

Jenn

Old 05-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
    Jen1984
    (female)

Jen1984 HB User

Thanks Midwest I know it doesn't seem very functional to at 0.83. I will definately let you know what happens thanks for letting me vent.

Closed Thread