It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• SCARED...3.5 solid nodule on isthmus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
    BOOYAGGERS
    (female)

BOOYAGGERS HB User
    Unhappy SCARED...3.5 solid nodule on isthmus

I have an enlarged isthmus measuring 16.9 cm (the endo said she double checked that number with the radiologist to confirm it was accurate). It says: There is a hypoechoic solid nodule within the isthmus measure 3.5 cm x 1.4 x 2.4 cm. There is blood flow with in this nodule. That is what has me most concerned and my endocrinologist just gave me a bad vibe over it and seemed a little concerned. She said the nodule was very, very large and in a unique location for this kind of nodule.

Both lobes of my thyroid gland are enlarged and diffusely heterogeneous in echotexture without any discrete solid or cystic nodules. Right lobe 4.9 x 2.7 x 2.7 cm and left lobe 5.1 x 2.3 x 2.6 cm. Each lobe appears hypoechoic with diffuse blood flow.

What are my chances it's cancer? What are my chances they will remove it either way?

I could not get in for the biopsy till June 24th. I've all ready been waiting over a week and it's DRIVING ME CRAZY! I just want to get the biopsy and find out.

Please any help, advice, wisdom or outlook would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
    jmk05
    (female)

jmk05 HB User
    Re: SCARED...3.5 solid nodule on isthmus

ive had thyroid cancer for eleven months. i had a 4.3 tumor on my thyroid which turned out cancerous also had a spot on my isthmus ended up with two types of cancer if i can be of any help let me know good luck

Old 06-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Sounds like you've got a bit of a goiter there---an enlarged thyroid. The only way you're going to know if a nodule of that size is cancer, is to remove it. There is a 95% chance it's benign.

Thyroid cancer is rare, and if it is thyroid cancer (which it's more likely not) it is slow growing, so don't worry about the timing or anything. Just take this one step at a time.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
    Yannick
    (female)

Yannick HB User

16 cms is 6.5 inches !
    That is very difficult for me to believe that the isthmus could be that large.
    When I had a 3cm nodule, the endo and surgeon's recommendation was to take it out, even if it was benign.
    As it turned out, it was cancerous but I was going to have it removed anyway.
    Let us know the results of your biopsy. I wish you the best.
    Yannick

Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
    BOOYAGGERS
    (female)

BOOYAGGERS HB User

Why even have me stressing for my biopsy appt then ya know? Everything I can find kind of has had me thining it's gonna come out anyway and it is effecting my throat (swallowing and voice). I guess we'll see.

I find it hard to believe that the isthmus reading is correct. I guess they will probably recheck that when I go for the biopsy? It did say Ultrasound guided so if they don't maybe I will ask them. I can't find anything on the internet about an isthmust that enlarged, so maybe it was an error. I feel like I can actually grab the nodule though when I tilt my head back. It freaks me out and now I keep doing it, like is it still there?

I feel like this kind of all came on a couple months ago, but I guess maybe it's just when I finally noticed it.

I will for sure update what is found from the biopsy....when that happens FOREVER from now.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
    Yannick
    (female)

Yannick HB User

Hi Jennifer
    I know how you're feeling about the wait time. It's agonizing. In my case, the biopsy results were "inconclusive", which meant that they had to go in and do surgery to see if it was cancer or not.
    If your nodule bothers you, then for sure, they'll need to take it out.
    Keep us posted
    Yannick

Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
    jr772
    Inactive
    (male)

jr772 HB User

Jennifer,

I had a 0.9 cm nodule on my isthmus, and another smaller one nearby. It turned out the nodules were cancerous, but in a majority of cases the nodules are benign. I know it is agonizing waiting to have the FNA, but remember that even if it is thyroid cancer that that type of cancer is slow growing. I advise that you become politely annoying in getting in for your FNA, though, because it is only those results that can give you peace of mind. Call often and ask if there have been any cancellations. Remind them that you can come in anytime they have one.

Best wishes.

JR

Old 06-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
    BOOYAGGERS
    (female)

BOOYAGGERS HB User

I think what worries me most is the size of it. I feel like it came out of nowhere but maybe I just wasn't noticing it before.

Then I read so many people say at that size it will come out regardless, so why make me sit and wait through all this FNA biopsy crap just to take it out anyway.

Ugh. So frustrating, but I'm hanging in there.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
    jr772
    Inactive
    (male)

jr772 HB User

Jennifer,

I just recently read of someone who had their thyroid removed without a biopsy. I wish I could remember where I read this so that I could send you the link. I know what you mean about the nodule coming out of nowhere, how scary that is. Same thing happened with me. When I swallowed one day while looking in the mirror, it was just there, this alien ball in my throat (isthmus). If you can, please send your doctor an e-mail with your concerns. This may get the ball rolling faster; maybe a lot faster.

My endo told me the reason for the biopsy, at the very least, is to give the surgeon specific information about the nodule(s) before they go in and try to remove it; so even if they know they will remove it, they will generally want to do a biopsy (but again, I have read of a case where the patient went straight from ultrasound to surgery).

Hang in there. This will get resolved and you will feel better.

JR

Old 06-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

The doctor that did my fna (not the one who did my surgery) said "I want to get an idea of what's in there before I open up" (I was going to have my 2.5cm out no matter what)....it also builds a case for insurance purposes.

My nodule seemed to come out of nowhere too, but when I look at old photos, I actually see it, pressing behind the muscle where it used to live.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
    angstrom
    (female)

angstrom HB User

Jennifer --

I was given the option of a FNA biopsy, but declined, as I already decided that my thyroid and accompanying tumors (the largest being 3.5cm) were coming out. My surgeon said that the only reason he'd recommend a biopsy is if the patient wanted more information to decide on what course of action they wanted to proceed with. I guess different doctors have different methods and requirements.

I'm all "Tumors? Get 'em out." My doctor was completely okay with that, but he did go over all the options with me first.

Just had my pre-op evaluation today (EKG, chest x-ray, more bloodwork and a thousand questions). TT scheduled for the 28th of this month.

I found my lump about 4 months ago while I was putting on makeup. And I was terrified until I started doing some research and balancing it with the information people here have shared. This board is a wonderful place for support and information. Hang in there. You're in good company here.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #12
    BOOYAGGERS
    (female)

BOOYAGGERS HB User

My biopsy came back with Follicular Neoplasm and I have surgery scheduled for next Wednesday, July 21st for a total removal of the thyroid gland. Not really looking forward to it but happy to have a surgery date and an end to all this cancer stress. I guess I'll find out a week post op if it was cancer and then I'll go from there with my endo's office.

Just wanted to update!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
    angstrom
    (female)

angstrom HB User

Good luck with your surgery -- I am hoping everything goes smoothly and your recovery is swift. Thinking positive thoughts for you from here!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
    BOOYAGGERS
    (female)

BOOYAGGERS HB User

Thanks so much, I am kind of nervous but know it will all be ok.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by angstrom View Post
    Good luck with your surgery -- I am hoping everything goes smoothly and your recovery is swift. Thinking positive thoughts for you from here!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #15
    angstrom
    (female)

angstrom HB User

It is natural to be nervous - surgery is always filled with "what ifs"... but everything will be okay. I was scared witless, myself... Try to focus on the positive and don't forget to breathe! Once it's out you'll be that much closer to better health. And like a few good people here have said - soon this will all be just a memory.

You are in my thoughts!

Closed Thread