It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Can underactive thyroid cause knee swelling???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
    pixiet
    (female)

pixiet HB User
    Can underactive thyroid cause knee swelling???

Hi
    I have recently been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid a month ago after having many symptoms, my doctor has started me on 25mcgs of thyroxine. I was just wondering if anyone else is suffering from swollen painful knees??? (they started around the same time as my other symptoms) my doctor has run out of ideas of what could be causing my knee pain/swelling but I read somewhere an underactive thyroid can cause swelling of the knee joints. I have been referred to a rhumatologist but have to wait 2 months for an appointment!!! and the swelling/pain is getting much worse. If anyone has experienced this please let me know as I am getting really worried that my pain could be caused by something much worse.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Can underactive thyroid cause knee swelling???

Yes, hypoT often causes joint swelling - including knees, of course.
    Your 25 mcgs is just a starting point. It is never enough to fill one's needs long-term. Hopefully, you'll be retested in a few weeks and the dose increased. The process toward finding an optimal replacement dose must be gradual, but steady.

The start of treatment often worsens existing symptoms. It can even produce new ones until your body adjusts to having hormone it didn't have before. Try to be patient and know that it should be temporary. If your doctor truly understands hypothyroidism, he will keep increasing your dose until your symptoms finally resolve.

Good luck!

Closed Thread