It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Early stages of Graves Disease

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
    tired27
    (female)

tired27 HB User
    Early stages of Graves Disease

Hello,
    I am new to the message board and was wondering if anyone has the same problem as me. I am a 27yr female. I went for a checkup to find out my TSH levels were a little low and was referred to an Endo. (Hypo runs in the family and I requested this test). He ran more blood test with a thyroid uptake scan. When I got the results he tells me that it looks like it's early signs of Graves Disease and couldn't give me any medication for the multiple symptoms I was feeling such as, Nausea, Dizziness, Confusion, Palpitations, Blurred Vision, Shortness of Breath, Weak, Hair loss. The thyroid uptake (optic scan) showed an increase of the thyroid by 39% when he said it should be at 30%, I have high antibodies and don't know the number, but that my THS levels were borderline. My blood pressure was 90/60 which is extremly unusual for me. Mine is always normal. He had nothing to say about the blood pressure. He also tells me he will not prescribe anything until my thyroid levels are increased or decreased. Almost as if I turn into Hypo or Hyper. I don't understand why I have to get worse to get medication. He told me if he gave me something now that I would turn into hypo or hyper. And that there was definitely something wrong with me, but that he wasn't sure what it is. I'm supposed to have blood work done next month and then go back. Does this sound normal for Graves Disease? I feel like I'm getting the run around. I would appreciate any help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Early stages of Graves Disease

The medications for graves disease are pretty powerful drugs, that have some side effects, so you might not want to go on them until your blood work hits certain ranges.

You can always try another endo, but since the meds aren't a "cure" but management of the problem, you might want to take it slow, and learn about the drugs and the condition first.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
    Re: Early stages of Graves Disease

I started having symptoms of hyper thyroid in January of '06. I had no idea what it was. I would have a racing heart, anxiety and insomnia. I went to my family doc in March. I had a very low tsh. He sent me to an endo. That was in April. I was hyper all summer, it would come and go but usually had a rapid heart rate. I went for blood tests a few times, had a uptake scan, endo said it was normal, he wouldn't say it was Graves then, but by then I knew. He thought it was sub acute thyroiditis. By August I still had symptoms and my FT4 was high in the range and my FT3 was out of the range. (I don't know what they were before this.) He thought I would benefit from a tiny dose of methimazole. He started me on 2.5 mgs. I got hypo pretty quick and I think because I was on that small dose, he just kept me on it.(that's another story) Anyway, yes, until you go out of the range with either FT4 or 3 they won't treat you. I waited over 5 months for meds. You might be what they call "sub- clinical" right now. Keep having labs done to see if you go eventually hyper. (out of the range) If you feel racy sometimes they prescribe a beta blocker but with that low BP. (just like mine was) they won't give you that either. I had to suffer it out, like it sounds you will too, sorry!

Closed Thread