It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid Scan and Lab results! Need help understanding.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
    tinaomies
    (female)

tinaomies HB User
    Question Thyroid Scan and Lab results! Need help understanding.

Today I went in for my thyroid scan. I went back after 4 hours. The result was 6%. Since my head was so foggy the bar that you stick to your neck was only stuck to my collar bone. Should this have been touching my neck? I definitely had it touch my arm completely. Could this have affected my results? I think she said normal is 5%-15% after 4 hours. She did say the real key was tomorrows test.

After I took the I123 I stopped by my doc's office and picked up my labs. I am really discouraged. My mom and maternal grandparents are all hypo. I guess I need help understanding my labs from people who have been through this previously. The bad part is my doc did not run the first set of tests at the same time. The first set was done in April. I went back in July after my mom told me to get tested for the Antibodies. Mom told me that I really need to run all of the tests at the exact same time to get a baseline of where I am across the board. Last Wednesday I became very week and felt like I was hit by a mack truck. Blood work was drawn again on Thursday the 26th. Those are the labs I picked up after I took the I123.

April Labs -
    TSH - 1.67 Labs ref range (0.27 - 4.20) MCU/ML
    T4 - 1.4 Labs ref range (0.9 - 1.8) NG/DL

I was told I was normal and looking back on it I didn't feel bad compared to now. My hair was falling out. She ran no other tests that day.

The end of June I made an apt to see the doc again. My hair was still falling out and I had a bald spot. I talked to my mom about it and she told me to have the microsomal antibodies check. I did a little research before I went back to the doc. I was under the impression that day she was going to rerun the T4, TSH, and check the antibodies test. This is all she checked that day. I did notice that she switched labs during that time as well.

Thyroglobulin Ab, IgG - 23 neg Labs Ref Range (0-60) IU/ml

Thyroid Peroxidase Ab, Quant - H 62 Pos Labs Ref Range (0-60) AU/ml

TSI - 95 Lab ref range: <=125 Unit: % baseline (no clue what this means)

TSH - 1.029 Labs Ref Range - (0.55 - 4.78) uIU/ml

The doctor said my TPO Ab was barely high but that we just needed to check it periodically. My hair was still falling out. I developed a good 2'' wide across my neck up to the area where my scalp meets my neck. Overall I didn't feel that bad. I have an attention deficient and had been on Adderall (generic form) for 4 months and before that Vyvanse. I switched since the Vyvanse was so expensive. Malasma on my face. I was beginning to have a rough time getting moving in the morning. Physically I did not feel bad. Believe it or not I felt the best I had felt in years.

When I received the results I questioned whether or not I should have been given anything for have the antibodies. I am still not even sure if that is really high. I noticed that my results seemed different than others.

Are they high enough for Hashimoto's?

My labs are not totally back yet that were drawn last week. I still need the TPO, Thyroglobulin Ab, CBC, NMR Lipoprofile, Hemoglobin A1C. When she ran the tests I asked for a copy of everything they were going to run. These were all on the printout with my information etc that goes to the lab. Oddly enough when I picked up the results they told me that they were just waiting on the NMR. I know the CBC does not take that long and the last antibody test came back in 4 days. In my craziness I am worried that they are keeping something from me.

So here are the labs that I do have back. This was done on 8/26/10.

TSI - neg ref range: Negative (same lab gave different range than the previous test)

Thyroxine - 9.0 lab ref range (4.5 - 12.0) ug/dl

TSH - 1.359 lab ref range (0.55-4.78) uIU/mL

Is the Thyroxine the same as the T4? She did not do any T3 test. She gave me a reason but in my foggy brain I cannot remember her reason.

Ferritin was low 8.0 ref range (11.0-306.8)ng/mL

Lipid Profile

Cholesterol 176 (<200) MG/DL)
    HDL 43 (>39) MG/DL)
    LDL 109 (<100) MG/DL
    Triglyceride 119 (<150) MG/DL

11/9/09 (same lab ref range) my HDL was 33 (low) LDL 81 TRIG 226 (high)

Certainly some change. Does this happen with Hashimoto's?

Iron Binding capacities were normal.

Vit D, 1, 25-dihydroxy, (OH), Total 31 ref range 18 - 72 Unit: pg/mL

Vit B12 446 ref range (180-914) pg/mL
    Folates 6.28 ref range (>3.0) ng/mL

The CMP scares me....These are the low ones. None are high

Sodium 135 ref range (135-145) MMOL/L
    Urea Nitrogen 5 ref range (6-20) MG/DL
    Osmolality, Calc 266 ref range (275-301) MOS/KG
    Bun/Creatinine 6.7 ref range (7-20)
    AST 12 ref range (10-60) this is near low

I have never had these type of results before with a CMP. Does anyone know what these results may indicate?

My mom has been thinking I may have adrenal fatigue because of the years of stress I was under. The only problem is the last night they checked my blood pressure it was 148/98. Normally 106/60.

Any idea what could be wrong? Here are my symptoms.

Hair Loss
    Bald Spots
    Feeling like I have a pill stuck in my throat when I swallow. When I swallow it feels like I feel a pop mid way when I swallow.
    Beginning of August I started having trouble falling asleep. Before then I was a 10:00 time for bed on the dot.
    Malasma
    Exhausted
    Fuzzy feeling in my head. It's like a numbing feeling. If I look down and then look up I just have a strange sensation.
    Confusion
    Forgetful
    Not as sharp mentally as I was before last Wednesday
    Extremely irritable, I would be content if people did not talk to me. I have been extremely outgoing my entire life.
    Lost 28lbs since June doc apt. I was overweight from giving birth a year ago in June.

I have other thyroid labs from before I had my son 6/30/9 if that might help too!

Any advice or help would be greatly apprecaited! Thank you! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/smile.gif

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Thyroid Scan and Lab results! Need help understanding.

There's a lot of information there I have no clue about because it's unrelated to thyroid, and some is more complicated than I can handle. Briefly, here's what I know:
    Even though the TSI Abs were technically negative, they're high enough to indicate a problem. These are the Abs responsible for Graves' disease, causing hypERthyroidism. Your TPOs are also positive, meaning Hashimoto's disease, causing hypOthyroidism. In most instances, these antibodies "fight" each other until one "wins", and that's the disease you end up with permanently.
    So, to me, it appears you have both Hashi's and Graves'. I've seen several cases of that here on the board during my time here. More than that, I can't tell you. But I DO know your thyroid isn't functioning normally, so keep pursuing it until you get some treatment help.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
    tinaomies
    (female)

tinaomies HB User
    Re: Thyroid Scan and Lab results! Need help understanding.

Thank you midwest!

I had that feeling too! I talk to my friend that is a nurse and she said that my CMP levels may have been because of dehydration.

I return to the doc on Tuesday. She is one of those docs that say feels that labs are the truth. I don't buy it. The lady who is working with me on my thyroid scan says labs do not mean anything!

Thank you again!

Closed Thread