It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• swollen throat and glands, food stuck n throat,heart palpitations, short of breath,

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
    Thenaminerva
    (female)

Thenaminerva HB User
    Unhappy swollen throat and glands, food stuck n throat,heart palpitations, short of breath,

I am a 24 year old woman. I was considerably healthy. Ive had asthma since birth.
    In June i noticed my throat swelling up, or inflammation. I couldn't swallow pills or eat because food would get caught in my throat.
    This is now October. Within these four months I have been to an allergist im allergic to the world but the meds they gave me dont work.

i have had a ultrasound of my thyroid and i have nodules. I have had a needle biopsy aspiration. They were normal, but has features of hashimotos disease. Doctors did nothing. I have had a thyroid scan and uptake and the results are complicated long story short nothing big enough to give me anything. I am stressing out now. Sometimes my thyroid blood work will be normal, and when i stopped my birth control, they were abnormal. Now they are normal again.They think its hyperthyroid but they arent doing anything

I have seen a cardiologist for my heart problems , At first they wanted to chuck it up to stress but my white blood cells are high and my liver tests are a little off but no one is doing anything. Ive lost so much weight because i cant really eat. Doc has put me on propranolol for my heart but that makes my asthma act up. before they just put me on valium. I have been to the ER twice within the last month. I feel I am getting the run around can anyone help?

Recent findings. I seen an ENT. He thinks it is thyroiditis, but they dont know what kind yet. He wants me to get a Baruim x-ray done, im scared about that.
    Also, get a ct scan of my sinuses. What does thyroid have anything to do with sinuses? I am confused.

my symptoms
    -food stuck in throat
    -post nasal drip
    -mucus in throat but never goes anywhere
    -ear pain with jaw pain
    -swollen glands, swollen throat tightness
    trouble speaking
    -heart palpitations, heart racing
    short of breath
    emotional
    cant eat wheat
    -cloudy urine
    -dizziness
    -tiredness
    -more i cant think of as the moment

The following user gives a hug of support to Thenaminerva:
    Jtrr22 (11-02-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
    Searchin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User
    Re: swollen throat and glands, food stuck n throat,heart palpitations, short of breat

Obviously, there is a problem. The docs have to do the tests but they also have common sense and need to quit procrastinating. If they give you a med that the bloodwork does not warrant it could really mess up your heart. It already sounds like you are having heart problems anyway. If you have to go to an endocrinologist or another doctor. Do they want you to choke to death or what? Sorry, just wish you could get some relief. It does take time to figure out a problem sometimes. Hang in there. searchin.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
    Jtrr22
    (female)

Jtrr22 HB User
    Re: swollen throat and glands, food stuck n throat,heart palpitations, short of breat

I have essentially all of the symptoms you have and it has been just a horrible experience. I had an ultrasound of my abdominal area done which came back normal. So far my bloodwork has come back normal as well. I think it may be hormonally link considering we are both female and in our 20s or perhaps a food allergy.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
    dhurlbert3
    Veteran
    (female)

dhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB User

I had all of these symptoms and i demanded that i see an ent and when he suggested that i have my thyroid out i agreed. I had the ultrasound done and i had nodules and m thyorid was extremely big, after sx my symptoms have stopped. I am now hypo and take meds for the thyroid. Keep pushing, eventually a dr will listen.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
    Jtrr22
    (female)

Jtrr22 HB User

Did your blood tests come back normal or did they show elevated thyroid levels?

Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
    fintech
    (female)

fintech HB User

I had many of your smyptoms except for weight loss. Between my surgeon and my endo, I finally insisted my thyroid come out. I had been on increasing amounts of synthroid for years. Though my ultrasound showed no hugely abnormal size, the thyroid was what my endo called "lumpy", meaning that one side specifically had lost it's defined shape. I also always felt like I had a golf ball stuck in my throat and essentially proclaimed that I couldn't live like that anymore. Long story short, when the surgeon went in, my thyroid was so enflamed, it was nasty and had adhered itself to my esophagus and trachea. None of this showed up on an ultrasound. My surgeon said it was blatantly obvious to her why I was so uncomfortable (once she opened me up). I'm not 8 weeks post op for total removal and my throat is still very uncomfortable but am regaining all of my energy slowly. Surgeon said it will take some time for all of the inflamation to go down in my throat as it was really a mess in there. Tests don't show everything - blood tests or otherwise. You can live without your thyroid. Find a doctor that gives you the choice. I remember my endo dr. said that she relys heavily on what her patients say - as she cannot see inside of any of us. Good doctor! Good luck with your quest.

Closed Thread