It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• For Hypo, how do you get rid of swollen thyroid? Iodine or hormone replacement?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
    For Hypo, how do you get rid of swollen thyroid? Iodine or hormone replacement?

I saw my endo last week... He said my thyroid is a little swollen on the left side.
    He said he thinks I have subclinical hypothyroiditis which he said I could have had for a long time but got worse after pregnancy.

I've decided to go with Synthroid for treatment of high TSH & T4 being on the low side.

My question is, what can I do to shrink my thyroid gland? I can't see it when I look in the mirror but I can feel it, mostly when I swallow... It kind of feels like someone pushing in on that side of my neck against that area... You know, like when the Endo dr., pushes around to check your thyroid and it kind of makes you want to clear your throat or cough? That's the only way I know how to explain it besides maybe feeling like when you eat a lot of bread and a lump of bread comes up in your throat except for me, this feeling is only on the left side. Acutally, before I saw the endo, I thought it was food coming up and sitting there... I used to have issues with reflux & stuff so I blew it off as food.

I'd LOVE for it to go away but how do I make it go away and how long does it take to go away?

Do I eat iodised salt or will the synthroid get rid of it?

I have a lonnnng history of not adding salt to my food (about 10 years now), just because I don't really like it too much. But I figured since salt is in everything now days, I'd get enough anyway.

When I did my last free T4 test, I decided to start adding iodised salt to my foods, I figure it can't hurt... But WILL it help? Or should I just rely on synthroid?

I've decided not to start synthroid till the first weekend of 2011 cause I've read it can make some people feel worse before better so just in case, I'd like to be past the holidays and everything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: For Hypo, how do you get rid of swollen thyroid? Iodine or hormone replacement?

Your medication---the synthroid may actually help with the goiter issue. It may or may not. Unless you lived in a country where there were serious iodine insufficiencies, adding iodine probably won't do much. There is iodine naturally occuring, if you live in the US, in everything from potatoes to rice (the soil has iodine) to dairy products, to seafood.

If you ever eat out, you can bet they are using iodized salt. In your case, it's thyroid disease that's attacking your thyroid and making it grow.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
    Re: For Hypo, how do you get rid of swollen thyroid? Iodine or hormone replacement?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    Your medication---the synthroid may actually help with the goiter issue. It may or may not. Unless you lived in a country where there were serious iodine insufficiencies, adding iodine probably won't do much. There is iodine naturally occuring, if you live in the US, in everything from potatoes to rice (the soil has iodine) to dairy products, to seafood.

If you ever eat out, you can bet they are using iodized salt. In your case, it's thyroid disease that's attacking your thyroid and making it grow.
    I live in the US.

Closed Thread