It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Can anyone help interpret my results?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
    Tennis8240
    (female)

Tennis8240 HB User
    Can anyone help interpret my results?

Hi. I was hoping someone might be able to help clarify some things for me. I went to the doctor in October to deal with extreme fatigue, memory loss, constantly ill, severe migraine headaches, and other varying symptoms. I am also overweight. He ran thyroid and IGF tests amongst others. The results of those were:

-TSH: 3.03, range: 0.40-4.50 (however, he wants it less than 2)
    -free T4: 2.7, range: 1.4-3.8
    -free T3: 3.2, range: 2.3-4.2
    -IGF-I: 32, range 64-334 (he said it should be at least 250 for someone my age (30))
    -vitamin D: 7, range 30-100
    -cholesterol: 152

all of my female hormones and insulin were normal, and my calcium and magnesium were low.

Given this, i went to an endo here, who ordered a cortrosyn stim test and an MRI. The mri was clear apparently, but the stim test was abnormal. Here are the results:

-cortisol, 0 min: 3.5 (in the AM), AM range 4.3-22.40
    -cortisol, 30 min: 15.5, range 4.3-22.40 (i was told this should be at least 18-20)
    -cortisol, 60 min: 12.3, range 4.3-22.4 (from what ive read online, this number should not have declined yet)

I went to see an endo in Cleveland who told me that these cortisol results might be human error, and that the IGF level is probably because im heavy. He said that maybe the medicine they gave me was old or something...sounds weird to me. I dont agree with him though. If the cortisol was human error why would my 0 min (w/o medicine) level be low? and the doctor who did the original IGF test (who unfortunately is out of state and not covered by insurance, otherwise id see only him) told me that the low IGF is the reason im heavy, not the other way around. Also, the endo in Cleveland on wednesday drew another thyroid panel. The results of that were:

-TSH: 3.87, the ranges for each are the same as for above.
    -free T4 - 1.1
    -free T3 - 3.7

He said that these were "perfectly normal"...

-The result of a second IGF-I test was: 51 (range 117-339).

My endo here ordered a glucose tolerance test, which i scheduled for monday. im not sure what this test is used for, but right now ill do what they ask. Im just really confused. I have low IGF-I, low Cortisol, and a high TSH level. Is is possible that i have hypothyroid, hypopituitarism, and adrenal insufficiency, or could one thing be causing all of the weird results. The docs have not even suggested what could be wrong, and i am so lost! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
    gratedanes
    (female)

gratedanes HB Usergratedanes HB Usergratedanes HB User
    Re: Can anyone help interpret my results?

Sounds like adrenal fatigue and hypo, but I'm not a doctor. Do you have thyroid antibodies, i, TPO, ATG? I'm guessing they tested you in the past?. Sometimes your thyroid panel can be normal, but if your antibodies are elevated they will bring symptoms. I'm the opposite, my tpo are elevated but i have no symptoms, and it's this way for many.

Adrenal fatigue and thyroid disorder symptoms mimic each other, and it's futile to treat hypo without adressing adrenal fatigue first. Google the benefits of sea salt and licorice root for adrenal fatigue. Realize it may take months for your adrenals to function properly. At this point it looks like you don't need medical intervention(for adrenals).

Your doctor sounds like he's pulling excuses out of the air, maybe it's time for a new one

Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
    Tennis8240
    (female)

Tennis8240 HB User

Thanks for your response. I've never had my thyroid antibodies tested, as far as I can see by my labs. I'll ask and see if I can when I go on Friday. My mom has hashimotos though, so its a possibility. My natural doctor (who does bioidentical medicines) actually put me on unrefined sea salt in October because I was deficient in many minerals. I will look into licorice root, since i would much rather be on something natural if it can help me. the idea of steroids is a bit scary to me.

I did have a second baseline cortisol drawn in Cleveland, and the result was 27 (range: 4-22). From what I've just been reading on these boards, that might mean I have Cushings. My morning cortisol level was low, and my pm level (drawn at 5:30pm) was high. It also said that might explain my growth hormone deficiency. I'm definitely not going to see the doc at the cleveland clinic again, which is disappointing because I thought hed be such a good doc. I think my endo here is more receptive, even though it is taking him a while to do things and he hasnt told me at all what might be wrong with me apart from repeating that my levels are low (GH and cortisol) or high (TSH). I also noticed my ACTH level wasnt drawn, so I might ask to get that as well.

I think the 5 hour OGTT that he ordered is to test me for insulin resistance, which I'm pretty sure I dont have. My cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood sugar are all normal to low, not high. Right now, im not sure if he actually knows what is causing my weird lab results. Is it possible to have a pituitary tumor that was missed on the MRI? Thanks!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

azure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB User

HI Tennis-- Your vitamin d level is woefully low. For me and I know for some others, just getting your vitamin d to a decent level can make a huge difference in how you feel...physically and emotionally.

When I was treated for hypothyroid...I didn't notice that much of a difference. But when I got my vitamin d (and ferritin ) level up , I noticed a big difference. I no longer woke up in the night with my legs aching , my hands no longer ached AND I felt a psychological resilience.

I can't comment on your cortisol issues but I do think as part of your plan you need to move your vitamin d level up a lot.
    Azuree

Old 01-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
    Tennis8240
    (female)

Tennis8240 HB User

Thanks for your help everyone. I went to the endocrinologist today and finally got official diagnoses. He said I have adrenal insufficiency/addison's disease, human growth hormone deficiency, reactive hypoglycemia, and hypothyroidism. He gave me prescriptions for cytomel and cortef, which i cant start until monday because my pharmacy was out of them. I also have been on 50,000 IUIs of vitamin D. I went and had my blood tested again and my levels havent changed, so he prescribed more vitamin D as well. his office also has to submit something to my insurance company for me to be able to get the HGH shots. I'm happy to finally know whats wrong with me, but overwhelmed as well. I hope the meds work

Old 01-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
    gratedanes
    (female)

gratedanes HB Usergratedanes HB Usergratedanes HB User

You should fax or phone the results to the endo in Cleveland who tried to dismiss you and say everything was fine. Maybe he could learn a thing or two and save someone else some the headache of trying to get a dx. I'm so glad you got a diagnosis, even if it was several things lol. I know you'll start feeling better as soon as your adrenals get better with the meds they will give you.

Closed Thread