It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Need help with thyroid test results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
    damrmnmama
    (female)

damrmnmama HB User
    Need help with thyroid test results

I just returned from getting my lab results from my doctor and am completely baffled. I was told that my thyroid is fine...after having been diagnosed with hypo thyroid in 2006 by an endocrynologist, again in 2008 by the same doctor that I went to today, and again in 2010 by another doctor. Whats up with that??? Can your thyroid really "fix" itself?

I am very upset about the whole doctor encounter today. I told her one of the main reasons I had come to her was because I needed to get my thyroid checked and medicated because after working for 6 months with my diet and exercise I was not losing any weight. Her response was "well, we all just want to say it is our thyroid and have that fix the problem." So I proceeded to tell her the previous paragraphs information on my thyroid diagnosis. She did ask what I was given for it. When I asked if my thyroid could really fix itself she told me not usually. When I asked her to check in my file to see if she had indeed diagnosed and medicated me for hypothyroid she found that she did. BUT she reiterated that my thyroid results were all within the normal ranges "and besides, you have enough things to work on for now. We will recheck it in 3 months."
    Now I am fully aware that most of you will say that I need to find another doctor, which I am fully aware of and intend to work on. My problem is that she does my bioidentical hormones as well and those doctors are hard to find.
    What I am asking of all of you is to please compare my lab results from 2006 through to 2011 below.

01/2006 lab results:
    TSH 4.8 Free T4 .92 ** I was on .125 Levoxyl but my endo increased it to .137 after this test.

03/2006 results:
    TSH .795 **stayed on the .137 dose of levoxyl

04/2006 & 10/2006 results:
    TSH .515 & .915, Free T4 1.34 & 1.05 **took myself off all meds from March 2007 - April 2008

04/2008 resultsthese results and medicine was done by the same DR that I saw today)
    TSH 9.26 Free T4 .98, Free T3 3.0 ** put back on .137 Levoxyl
    Thyroid Perx AB 279.35 **was told I have thyroiditis

09/2008 results
    TSH .301 Free T3 2.6 **lost insurance so went off all meds again from 10/2008 - 05/2010

05/2010 results:
    TSH 2.092 ** put on 1 grain of nature thyroid and used till September 2010 when doctor was no longer available to see patients.

03/2011 results:
    TSH 2.277, Free T4 .89, Free T3 3.0 ** Told by doctor that my thyroid was fine and I didn't need medicines.

I apologize for the lengthy post but I am so frustrated and confused. Any direction you can give is most appreciated!

The following user gives a hug of support to damrmnmama:
    dinashop (04-07-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Need help with thyroid test results

sheesh.... Must be her time of the month.

Your thyroid did not fix itself. The high TPO antibodies back in '08 show that you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which is an irreversible condition that leads to total thyroid failure. Your FTs are too low. Period. You need to be on thyroid hormone. Period.

The woman may be good at female hormones, but she can't be forgiven for being this wrong about thyroid hormones. She's looking only at the TSH number and sticking her head in the sand about the rest of it.

I used to keep a folder of posts about particularly inept and just dumb docs on my hard drive. They made for some head-shaking moments. Deleted it after it got to more than 75; but if I still had it, your doc would make the Top 10 of the list. MD egos are always a problem, but IMO, female MDs are worse. Just saying.

Good luck finding someone smarter. They'll probably order their own set of tests. If so, be sure to go first thing in the morning, as soon as the lab opens. TSH tends to be higher then, so it can sometimes get you the diagnosis you might not get having the test in the afternoon.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
    damrmnmama
    (female)

damrmnmama HB User
    Re: Need help with thyroid test results

Thanks midwest! It was eating at me so much that I sat down and wrote an email to this doctor explaining how I felt and why. I'm hoping it will be effective in promoting a more open discussion of my concerns & not backfire and cause more problems!

Closed Thread