It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Cytomel / Liothyronine Dilemma.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
    Jenny95123
    (female)

Jenny95123 HB User
    Question Cytomel / Liothyronine Dilemma.....

I have Hashimotos and am currently taking Levothroid 100 micrograms since January. I continue to have fatigue and achiness. Here are my most recent labs.
    TSH 1.7 (.1-5.5)
    Free T3 270 (210-440)
    Free T4 1/5 (.8-1.7)

With these labs my doctor informed me that my levels were all normal and told me to continue the 100 micrograms of Levothroid. I asked her since my Free T3 was in the low normal range if I could try some Cytomel to go along with my Levothroid. She agreed and prescribed me the generic form of Cytomel, Liothyronine, 5 micrograms, once daily.

I started the Liothyronine,T3, at one pill a day on Sunday(4 days ago). About one hour after taking it I noticed that about 60% of my fatigue and achiness went away!! I was so impressed! Unfortunately, because of the short pill halflife my achiness and fatigue begin to creep up on me about 6-7 hours later.

I asked my Endocrinologist if I could try taking 7.5 micrograms(1 1/2 pills) in the morning and that maybe ALL of my fatigue and achiness would go away. And then if I could take another dose in the afternoon. She told me that because my thyroid labs were within normal range before she prescribed the Liothyronine(T3) to me she did not want to up the dose. My Endocrinologist said "Overdosing runs the risk of flipping your heart rhythm into atrial fibrillation which carries a risk of having a stroke, and I have seen this happen to other patients, and I don't want that to happen to you."

I am so frustrated. I finally am getting some relief with the Liothyronine(t3) and want to feel back to 100% again.

My question is: If I continue to take the Liothyronine (T3), 5 micrograms, will it gradually raise my Free T3 level, or does it only raise it as much as it is going to raise it in one dosage/days worth of pill? Will I possibly see even more improvement over the first couple of weeks?

I want to get others opinions on this before contacting my doctor on how I feel about this.

By the way, I tried taking 1/2 of my pill in the morning and I was going to take the other half later in the day, but 1/2 pill doesn't take any of my achiness and fatigue away.

Please, any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
    Re: Cytomel / Liothyronine Dilemma.....

T3 meds need to build up to a steady state in the bloodstream. While we do experience immediate effects from a particular dose, it does take about 2 wks. for the full effects on the blood levels to be known.

I started 5mcg generic Cytomel in January - my FreeT3 was 3.3 (range 2-4.4) so pretty much the equivalent of 330 based upon your lab's values/ranges.

My FreeT3 was up to 4.0 within 4 wks. (that's where I need it to be - most people just need their level in the upper third of the range).

My FreeT3 was 4.1 after another 4 wks.

So, you just might be OK with the 5mcg....you just might want to go at least 2 full weeks before making waves with the doctor.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
    Jenny95123 (04-06-2011)
    Old 04-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
    Jenny95123
    (female)

Jenny95123 HB User

Sammy64, thanks for your quick reply! I am willing to give it longer at the 5 micrograms to hopefully build up in my system and start feeling better. It's just so hard to have to WAIT to start feeling better!

Old 04-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jenny95123 View Post
    It's just so hard to have to WAIT to start feeling better!
    I couldn't agree more...especially when I'm waiting

Old 04-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jenny95123 View Post
    I am willing to give it longer at the 5 micrograms to hopefully build up in my system and start feeling better.
    It may take longer than a couple of weeks for T3 to really make a difference - it took me like 6 weeks to see clear improvement.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
    Jenny95123 (04-07-2011)
    Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
    Jenny95123
    (female)

Jenny95123 HB User

FinnMaid, thank you for your reply. Yesterday was day 4 on the Liothyronine and I noticed I felt better for longer during the day. It must be building up in my system. I have been able to get out and do some yardwork for the first time in months! In fact, when my achiness and fatigue slowly returned it didn't return to the intensity as it was prior to beginning the Liothyronine(T3). That makes me have hope that I will continue to see progress for awhile longer with the addition of the T3!

Closed Thread