It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• FNA Results- please explain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
    shan0507
    (female)

shan0507 HB User
    Question FNA Results- please explain

I have the results of my FNA done last week and I am confused. Can someone please explain it to me/ give me your opinion?

The patient has a large dominant, very vascular solid nodule in the right mid pole that is photopenic. She has smaller nodules in the left lower pole with stippled calcifications that may not be photopenic, but are slightly concerning.

(Both nodules had FNAs/ 22 gauge needles)

US FNA Right Mid Pole:
    Impression:
    Nodule right mid lobe, which is solid and hypervascular, aspirated twice. Results pending.

US FNA Left Lower Pole:
    Impression:
    Two adjacent nodules left lower pole, aspirated twice.

Please remember that there are multiple other nodules, under a centimeter in size, that were not aspirated, and the sonogram should be followed in 6 months.

Samples were sent to Cytology Labratory.

Cytology Report
    FNA Left Thyroid- Lower

Final Diagnosis
    Smear and Cell Block:
    Numerous markedly atypical cells suspicious for papillary carcinoma.

Results sent back to radiologist for interpretation.

Addendum to Thyroid FNA

Aspiration of the thyroid gland bilaterally was obtained. She has a large very vascular nodule in the right mid lobe. There are rare follicular cells and colloid as well as inflammatory cells, but the pathologist does not believe the sample is adequate to diagnose a particular thyroid abnormality. This is insufficient although no malignancy was seen.

However, on the left where she has a small nodule with somewhat unusual calcifications this is atypical and suspicious for papillary carcinoma. Therefore, surgical referral is clearly needed.

Impression

Surgical referral is needed for possible papillary carcinoma left lower pole. The right aspiration was insufficient.

Does this mean I have papillary cancer? Do I have to have my thyroid out? What is the next step to take (other than get the referral of course)? Any advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: FNA Results- please explain

An fna only gets a small sample of cells---so for a very large nodule, it's not the only diagnostic tool used---you also look at size, vascular, cold/hot, and if there is calcification. Then you use an experienced thyroid surgeon to help you make a decision.

It sounds like there is enough suspicion there to go to a surgeon---find the best one you can. My fna was not "suspicious for papillary" but actually papillary---the sample was filled with them, my cancer was all over the nodule.

There have been people over the years on this board who had similar pathology results as you, and it was either benign, or a different type of cancer. This can still be benign, but it's going to have to come out so you can be sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
    shan0507 (04-08-2011)
    Closed Thread