It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• latent hypothyreosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
    saccharomyces
    (female)

saccharomyces HB User
    latent hypothyreosis

hi,
    about two and a half years ago my doctor suggested a diagnosis of latent hypothyreosis, based only on a slight elevation in tsh and prolonged inexplicable low fever (~37.0-37.2C for about three weeks), however, i found the diagnosis highly unlikely, since i had no simptoms whatsoever that would make me consider hypothyroidism, rather the opposite - tend to sweat more than other people, sometimes when i'm not even feeling that hot, and i almost never feel cold, even when others with no health issues say they're cold, so i did not get more lab tests done.
    however, my father got diagnosed with diabetes recently, and my brother has a hypothalamus disorder, and my mother has MS, so they are all turning a lot of attention to health issues and managed to coerce me to get tested again.

today i got my lab results back, but i can't see my doctor for the next three days, so i was wondering if i could manage to get an early interpretation of the results here.

so, on the thyroid hormone side,
    my t4 is normal, 14.0 (range: 10.3 -24.5 pmol/L)
    my tsh is slightly high, 4.2 (range: 0.4 - 4.0 mU/L)
    and my thyroid peroxidase antibodies are also normal - 35

however, i am also a little high on cholesterol - 5,6 general, though my LDL is only 2.7 and HDL 1.98, which surprises me, because i maintain a fairly healthy lifestyle, eating lots of fruits, vegetables, seafood and some meat, some dairy products and almost no grain foods (bread, pasta, potatoes - don't really like them),and i cycle to wherever i need to get (adding up to at least roughly 25km a day, which is not a lot but i think could be considered enough to maintain an active lifestyle).

as an addittion to this, and what really made me slightly worried, i have high eosinophile count 0.93 (range: 0.02 - 0.53 10x9/L), that is, percentage of 15.7, and slightly low neutrophiles- 43% when norm is 48-72, even though my overall leukocyte count is 5.9 (range: 4.0 - 9.8 10x9/L)

so i was wondering if anyone could offer some pre-doctor-visit insight into what this could mean, do i really have hypothyroidism or maybe the tsh could be high due to something else (like, an allergy or something, because the most often seen explanation of high eosinophiles on google seems to be allergies)?

i suppose i should also mention the fact that i am an extreme night owl, and usually stay up as late as 3 or 4 am, since night time is when i feel most active, and it takes a really long time for me to start feeling energetic after i wake up, and it's like that always, no matter at what time i go to bed. i had never considered this to be a possible symptom for some health issue, but now i am not so sure anymore.

any insight is welcome, i'd really like to know what you think.

thanks in advance!

saccharomyces

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread