It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Is This Normal With Adding Cytomel/Liothyronine.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #16
    Jenny95123
    (female)

Jenny95123 HB User
    Re: Is This Normal With Adding Cytomel/Liothyronine.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
    I agree with Sammy. Maybe you don't absorb your T3 very well for some other reason. Some people need significantly higher doses to get their FT3 up (I'm currently on 175 of T4 and 30 of T3).
    What could some reasons be for my body not to absorb T3 very well? How long did it take for you to bring your T3 dose up to 30? I just put a message into my Endocrinologist asking if we could try upping my dose of T3. You know, the first 2-3 days of taking the T3 med I felt like I got more relief than the days following. I felt more relief of my achiness and rundown/fatigue feeling than I do now when taking it in the morning. I think that adding the T3has definitely helped me and we are going in the right direction, but I need a higher dose and my endocrinologist is being sooooooo careful with adding any T3. It was my suggestion to add the T3, not hers. She usually just treats with T4.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Some people with hypothyroidism have absorption issues in general and there doesn't seem there's much that can be done about it.

And, some people just require more hormone to maintain certain levels than others.

The human body is quite the complex machine - sometimes, there are no definitive answers.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
    Jenny95123 (05-06-2011)
    Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jenny95123 View Post
    How long did it take for you to bring your T3 dose up to 30?
    The original dose was 10 mcgs and that brought my FT3 smack in the midrange (no idea what it was before). After about 6 months I needed 15 to keep it there (and I didn't feel as good as before). A while later I noticed I needed to have my FT3 at the high end of the range - 20 mcgs took me there at that point, later added another 5 and then yet another 5 to 30 (and my FT3 remained around the top of the range or slightly above it). Currently my FT3 is most likely around 2/3 of the range with that 30. My T4 dose has varied between 175 and 225 during this time and that has had some effect on the FT3 level aswell. Oh and I've adjusted my doses based on symptoms this whole time

Last edited by FinnMaid; 05-06-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #19
    Jenny95123
    (female)

Jenny95123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
    The original dose was 10 mcgs and that brought my FT3 smack in the midrange (no idea what it was before). After about 6 months I needed 15 to keep it there (and I didn't feel as good as before). A while later I noticed I needed to have my FT3 at the high end of the range - 20 mcgs took me there at that point, later added another 5 and then yet another 5 to 30 (and my FT3 remained around the top of the range or slightly above it). Currently my FT3 is most likely around 2/3 of the range with that 30. My T4 dose has varied between 175 and 225 during this time and that has had some effect on the FT3 level aswell. Oh and I've adjusted my doses based on symptoms this whole time
    It sounds like you are kind of like me with getting relief when first beginning the T3, but then not as much relief until you upped your Free T3 dose. I am really hoping to hear back from my Endo telling me it is ok to up my Free T3 dose. Did you adjust your T3 and T4 on your own?

Old 05-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #20
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jenny95123 View Post
    Did you adjust your T3 and T4 on your own?
    Pretty much (my endo was responsible for increasing my T3 to 30 and once decreasing my T4 - but the fine tuning part of that was again by me ). My endo is ok with me adjusting the doses as - altough I've been fairly stable these few years - I do need it every now and then and getting labs is tricky (and seeing the endo is too - and expensive) so I've chosen to trust my body to tell me what to do.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #21
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

azure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB User

Hi FinnMaid--I have been reading this discussion with interest as I have recently added in 5mcg. cytomel to my synthroid.

What I am wondering is that when you mention that you do the fine tuning on your dose changes...how do you accomplish this? For example, if you decided to take more t3 wouldn't you need to ask your dr. to prescribe a higher dose? I can see that you could adjust downward yourself by just not taking as much, but adjusting upward would require more t3. You do need a prescription for t3 in Finland , don't you?
    Azuree

Last edited by azure7789; 05-06-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #22
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by azuree View Post
    You do need a prescription for t3 in Finland , don't you?
    Yes we do (and we need a permit for it too). The prescription (and the permit) can be written (and applied) for a year's supply of the med. When we have bought the year's supply (and the prescription expires after that 1 year so it's wise to buy the whole lot before it does) we need a new prescription (and a new permit) so that's the time to go and see the doctor (and possibly confess one's adjustments ). During the last couple of years my doc has written some "room" on my prescription (just in case I need an increase). No one really keeps track of this med as it's not covered (so I could buy all my 700 pills or whatever at once if I wanted to). There's "room" on my T4 prescription too (but I can't buy more than 3 month's supply at once if I want it covered).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 05-06-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #23
    Eir33
    Veteran
    (female)

Eir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB User

Oh boy, I'm dealing with this right now. I had my free T4 at a good level, 20.2, range being 12-22, and within 3 weeks of taking a small 2.5mcg dose of Cytomel my T4 is down to 13.3. GAH. So I feel the pain!

Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 PM   #24
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

azure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB User

Eir--When you added in the cytomel at 2.5mcg, did you have a simultaneous reduction in your t4 dose?

Just trying to understand why your t4 would drop.

Hey, I have officially given up on cytomel, even at the low 2.5mcg dose I couldn't lose the headache. It was near constant. Now I am left wondering was it something in the cytomel tablet...some filler that I had a reaction to , or is it the synthetic t3. Regardless, I had to stop the cytomel to get back to my normal state without constant headaches. My next plan is to investigate getting the t3 by natural thyroid hormone.

I hope you have better luck with cytomel. Are you having any headaches that you think are cytomel related?
    Azuree

Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #25
    Jenny95123
    (female)

Jenny95123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by azuree View Post
    Eir--When you added in the cytomel at 2.5mcg, did you have a simultaneous reduction in your t4 dose?

Just trying to understand why your t4 would drop.

Hey, I have officially given up on cytomel, even at the low 2.5mcg dose I couldn't lose the headache. It was near constant. Now I am left wondering was it something in the cytomel tablet...some filler that I had a reaction to , or is it the synthetic t3. Regardless, I had to stop the cytomel to get back to my normal state without constant headaches. My next plan is to investigate getting the t3 by natural thyroid hormone.

I hope you have better luck with cytomel. Are you having any headaches that you think are cytomel related?
    Azuree
    Azuree, I take the generic form of Cytomel, Liothyronine, and it is not giving me headaches. I take 10 mcg in the morning with my Levothroid. Which form of it are you taking? It could be the fillers that they use, you are right.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #26
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

Jenny--thanks for your response. I was taking the brand cytomel. I am glad to hear that you can take the generic with no headaches.
    Azuree

Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #27
    Eir33
    Veteran
    (female)

Eir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB User

My Eltroxin dose stayed the same, and I've increased it slightly today. *fingers crossed*.

I haven't had any headaches with Cytomel. Most likely I've been feeling a little *off* the past week because my fT4 has dropped. Grrr.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #28
    babs1944
    (female)

babs1944 HB User

I have just started 3 days ago with small dose of Cytomel. (5) . I am hoping it will give me some relief.
    Did I read somewhere that you should not be taking Cytomel if you have adrenal insufficiency ?? Also I wonder if anyone thinks that taking probiotic or acidopholis would help with the absorption of either thyroid medicine?
    Thanks for all the advice babs

Closed Thread