It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid Test Results - Opinions wanted

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
    kfelix
    (female)

kfelix HB User
    Thyroid Test Results - Opinions wanted

Hi All,

I was diagnosed hypo ~5yrs ago and my meds keep inching up, particularly during and post-pregnancy. My GP doesn't do much testing unless I request it and that normally only happens after I notice my weight spike up. I'm having a hard time with other symptoms because I have a toddler in the house. Generally, I do always feel like I could nap and have always had brittle nails and hair. Recently, celiac disease sprouted up. With the dietary modifications there and my stomach absorption being affected, my levels are out of whack. I train/workout heavily and watch my caloric intake with continued weight gain. I'm about 15lbs over the weight I've been for 15yrs. I seem to be battling my doctor over weight rather than what I know to be "right" for me. A pharmacist - referred by a hypo friend - recently told me I wasn't having the right tests run and requested the most recent tests be done. Any insights you can offer me here?

Tests from 5/20/11
    TSH 3.06 (.45-4.5)
    Thyroxine T4 8.3 (4.5-12)
    T3 Uptake 31% (24-39%)
    Free Thyroxine Index 2.6 (1.2-4.9)

Tests from 4/11/11
    TSH 7.82 (.45-4.5)
    Thyroxine T4 8.7 (4.5-12)
    Triiodothyronine T3 101 (71-180)

Test from 9/28/10
    TSH 1.08 (.45-4.5)

Thanks in advance! -Kendall

Last edited by kfelix; 05-25-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
    Re: Thyroid Test Results - Opinions wanted

Most cases of hypothyroidism are caused by autoimmune Hashimoto's disease.....this means that the antibodies will continue to attack your thyroid, diminishing its function over time and, more likely than not, require higher doses of thyroid hormone replacement meds.

Pregnancy requires higher thyroid hormone levels so, it makes sense you needed a higher dose then.

Sorry to tell you but, the pharmacist didn't tell you the right labs to have run, either.

The TSH test is somewhat useful since TSH >2.0 is suspect for hypothyroidism. Most people who are being medicated properly for hypothyroidism have TSH 1.0 or lower (and, if the patient takes any T3-containing meds such as Cytomel or Armour, the TSH is often suppressed if treatment is optimized).

The Thyroxine T4 test results are affected by carrier proteins so, not much use with that one. The T3 uptake and Free Thyroxine Index are calculations (aka guesstimations).

It's best to measure the thyroid hormones that are fully available to meet the body's needs and those are:

FreeT4 (T4 or Thryoxine, free, direct)
    FreeT3 (tri-iodothyronine, free, serum)

Even with the obsolete tests you had run, it's clear that all levels are below mid-range (not counting TSH which already indicates that you need a dose increase).

Most people need their thyroid hormone levels in the upper half of the range - usually around 70% of range.....some need their levels even higher (including me).

Doctors seem to put up a red flag when a patient mentions weight concerns. I'm sure you have other symptoms (look at the list in the thyroid information section here)....I'd be inclined to submit a symptoms list to the doctor and ask him/her to Rx a higher dose of meds for you.

If he/she won't, it's time to doctor-shop. Many of us have had to see a succession of doctors before finding one that medicated properly (I'm on doctor #5)

Last edited by sammy64; 05-25-2011 at 02:56 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
    kfelix (05-25-2011)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    auto immune disease, hypo symtoms, thyroid