It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Need help with interpreting test results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
    mgrot
    (female)

mgrot HB User
    Need help with interpreting test results

I had a partial thyroidectomy inApril of this year due to benign tumor. I have had hypo symptoms for years but my TSH levels have always come back "normal". My symptoms have gotten worse and new ones are occurring including extreme fatigue, joint pain and swelling,anxiety,forgetfulness,weight gain, high cholesterol, and the list goes on. I have had my thyroid levels checked 3 times since surgery with dr reporting them as normal each time with no need for meds.

Current levels:
    TSH - 2.49 (normal range .49 - 4.67)
    Free t4 - .69 ( normal range .61 - 1.12)
    Free t3 - 2.7 (normal range 2.0 - 3.5)

My dr is now wondering if I have early stage fibromyalgia?? I still think it is hypo symptoms but want to get some input from others! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
    Re: Need help with interpreting test results

I know most people on here join me in my wish that doctors would stop looking at pituitary hormone TSH in attempts to evaluate thyroid function.

The National Institute of Health has confirmed that TSH is diagnostically misleading and the actual thyroid hormone levels (FreeT4, FreeT3) should be used to assess thyroid function.

That said, your FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels are at the bottom end of the range - couple this with your symptoms and you are hypothyroid.

Most people feel/function best with FreeT4/T3 levels in the upper half/upper third of the range.

"Normal" (aka in-range) thyroid levels do not mean they are YOUR normal. It's quite clear to me that you are feeling anything but normal.

***** has a great article about this:

http://women.*****.com/news/20021108/thyroid-root-many-symptoms?page=2

Sorry to say, it sounds like you need to start looking for a doctor that is more familiar with thyroid disease.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-13-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
    mgrot
    (female)

mgrot HB User

Thanks so much for the input. This has been going on since December and I just want to move forward! I have been doing a lot of research and it looks like there isn't going to be a quick fix

The whole dr situation is so frustrating. My endo released me a couple of weeks ago saying I was fine after my 2nd tests. Of course he went completely on tsh. I then followed up with my family dr. They are wonderful there. She completely listens to me and knows I am not a complainer. She ordered every blood test imaginable and of course all " normal". She told me we could switch to another endo for 2nd opinion. I really hesitate to do that after my experience with the first. Unfortunately, I don't think my family dr wants to be the one responsible for monitoring thyroid....understandable since it such a specialty. It would be so much easier for mr if she would take this situation over for me.

I have read so many horror stories about what types of meds to try that I am also very concerned about where to start with that. If I do see another endo, I want to go in prepared with an idea of where I want to start whether he agrees or not. At least he will see that I am somewhat educated and not a pushover!

I just want to feel good! Really, is that asking too much??!!

Thanks again for your input and listening ear

Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Most endos have no idea how to treat thyroid disease....you will read that recurring theme on here.

Treating thyroid disease really isn't rocket science....it takes the knowledge of a few basic concepts and the desire to optimize the patient's levels so they are without symptoms.

If you can find a doctor willing to treat you, we can help arm you with the knowledge you need to feel better.

The horror stories you read are often related to people not being medicated properly.

Most people fare quite well with the most commonly prescribed thyroid hormone replacement - levothyroxine.

One of the most important aspects of thyroid hormone replacement is to make sure you get the same manufacturer's product each time the prescription is filled.

Different manufacturers use different fillers. Fillers affect absorption. Different levels of absorption mean different levels of effectiveness....thus, problems.

As I said, we have quite the collective amount of knowledge and experience on here...you can check in with us throughout your journey and we'll let you know if you're on-track.

Thyroid forum members helped me so much....they pointed me in the right direction for research and explained things to me that no other doctor explained.

People that have learned what it takes to feel well while having thyroid disease are a valuable resource.....I am here to pay forward what I've learned through research and experience.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-14-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
    toomanypets
    (female)

toomanypets HB Usertoomanypets HB Usertoomanypets HB Usertoomanypets HB User

Agree with Sammy. Many cases of hypothyroidism can be easily treated by a family doctor. My doctor has been great working with me. He's no expert and neither am I but together we are figuring out how much medication I should be on. I am just taking generic levothyroxin and it's been working well for me. Maybe ask your doctor to just give a trial on medication and say that if it gets too complicated, that you'll consider a referral. It can be a long process to get it just right, but it's not too complicated, most of the time.

Closed Thread