It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• hashimotos twitching musles, muscle pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
    barrineau
    (female)

barrineau HB User
    hashimotos twitching musles, muscle pain

hi, i have hashimotos hypothyroidism. i have a lot of muscle twitching and muscle cramps despite labs being in normal range with meds . my thyroid antibodies tpo are still very high @ 1300. anyone else experience these symptoms ??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
    Re: hashimotos twitching musles, muscle pain

Welcome!

Sorry for the reason you're here but, glad you found us.

I had the symptoms you've described when my thyroid hormone levels were too low for me.

Please know that, with thyroid disease, having levels in the normal range isn't good enough.

They need to be optimized so you no longer have symptoms. For most of us, optimized levels means having FreeT4/FreeT3 levels in the upper third of the normal range.

Hopefully, not only has your doctor been testing your TSH but, he/she has been adjusting your meds by looking at your actual thyroid hormone levels - the FreeT4/T3.

If you have some recent labs to share, we could help you interpret them. Please be sure to post the reference ranges for the results since they vary from lab to lab....and your result can only be interpreted in the context of your lab's ranges.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
    barrineau (07-22-2011)
    Old 07-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
    barrineau
    (female)

barrineau HB User

my last tsh was 2.0 range ( 0.4-4.68) free T4 1.01 range (0.78-2.19) free t3 2.5 range (2.3-4.1). also my tpo antibodies were very high 1611 range (0-34).

the twitching and muscle pain didnt start until i became hypo but endo denies that they are related . i have also had a thyroid ultrasound that showed a multinodular goiter.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Your labs show you to be hypo - I hope your doctor is increasing your meds dose.

Just so you know, most healthy people have FreeT4/FreeT3 levels in the upper third of the normal range. Based upon your lab's ranges, this means FreeT4 around 1.76 and FreeT3 around 3.56.

Thyroid-savvy doctors will adjust the patient's med dose in efforts to achieve those types of FreeT4/T3 levels and then tweak the dose to address any residual symptoms.

Everyone has different responses to different antibody levels. The fact that yours are so high indicates that your thyroid is quite inflamed. So, you can expect the function of your thyroid to diminish over time.

It makes me nuts when doctors try to dismiss obvious hypo symptoms to anything but the thyroid....especially when the symptoms resolve with proper medication.

If your FreeT4/T3 levels were better, then, yes, there is probably another cause for your twitching/muscle pain. Until that time, it would be nice if your doctor increased your dose to see what might happen....and he/she just might be surprised.

While my doctor is pretty thyroid-savvy, she, too, had a hard time believing that certain symptoms were thyroid-related.....until they resolved when my levels were optimized for me.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-22-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
    barrineau
    (female)

barrineau HB User

yes, it is truley frustrating to have endo's quickley dismiss all of your symptoms. just hoping to start feeling better soon. sometimes i feel close to "normal" then sometimes im back to feeling like ive been hit by a truck. not sure if this has to do with swings in my levels due to the hashimotos or not. all of my labs have reflected hypo numbers since being diagnosed, but i may have 2 or 3 good days and then a couple bad days. has anyone else been super symptomatic while there antibody levels remained high, and how long does it usually take for the antibody levels to start trending down

Old 07-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Everyone has different responses to antibody levels.

It's the thyroid hormone levels that are responsible for symptoms.

Since yours are still clearly quite hypo, you really need a dose increase - you cannot expect symptom relief until your levels have been optimized for you.

I worked with my doctor to identify and maintain my optimal levels (my needs are higher than the average upper third of the range - I need both my FreeT4/T3 at the very top of the range).

As long as my levels are where I need them to be, I am symptom-free.

Closed Thread