It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH won't go down

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
    allisonXX
    Inactive
    (female)

allisonXX HB User
    TSH won't go down

Hello everyone--
    My name is Allison and I had my thyroid removed September 8th due to a large nodule/hyperthryoidism (age of 21). About a week after my surgery I began taking 125MCG of synthroid. Two weeks later I got my blood tested and my TSH came back at roughly 32, I believe. The doctor then upped my dosage to 150MCG and two weeks later my TSH remained high at 28.75. Since my TSH isn't going down they decided to up my dosage again to 175MCG. I have been currently taking it for about 5 days and still don't feel any better. I am tired all the time and have been on an emotional roller coaster. I'm scheduled to get my blood tested in another two weeks or so. I really hope it goes down in the next two weeks. I haven't missed a single dose and I take it every night around 10pm. I heard that fiber can mess things up. I don't really remember eating a whole lot of foods high in fiber. Does any trace of fiber mess the absorption or does it have to be a high amount? Is anyone else familiar with synthroid? Does anyone else have this problem? I am so eager to get back to normal and this is taking way longer than I thought it would. Is it possible that the synthroid isn't working or is there something else going on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: TSH won't go down

Your main problem is that you are getting your blood tested too early. You can't really get it tested before six weeks with synthroid---it takes at least several weeks to build in your body. You should see a difference then.

I take mine before I wake up--hours before I eat---make sure to avoid taking it with calcium---but don't go crazy, it should work around your lifestyle, not the opposite.

You should also have them test at least your free t4 to see if it's starting to build in your blood stream.

In terms of dose, it depends upon your size and what makes you feel right--my mother in law is in the 275 mcg range, and I alternate between 150 mcg and 175 mcg---there are people that go into the 300 range. But I think it's too early for you to determine this, I think you have to give this more time between dose increases. It could be that the trauma of surgery effected your pituitary gland (tsh), and everything will settle over time.

Closed Thread