It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Second Auto-immune Disease After Hashimoto’s/Thyroidectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
    HalfDomer
    (male)

HalfDomer HB User
    Second Auto-immune Disease After Hashimoto’s/Thyroidectomy?

My wife was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s disease 16 years ago, and wound up with thyroid cancer this year. She had a complete thyroidectomy in August, followed by a radioactive iodine treatment and full body scan. We just got the results of the scan back this week, and no remaining cancer cells were detected, so thank God for that!

However, about a week after her thyroid gland was removed, she began having symptoms that seem a lot like either Crohn’s or Ulcerative colitis (both are also auto-immune diseases). We’re waiting to meet with the gastointerologist to go over the colonoscopy/biopsy results, but the nurse said on the phone that it could be colitis, ulcerative colitis, or Crohn’s.

Would it be common or somewhat likely for a person with an organ-specific auto-immune disease like Hashimoto’s to almost immediately contract a second auto-immune disease after the affected organ is removed? Is anyone aware of anything in the medical literature that deals with this question?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    -Rich

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Second Auto-immune Disease After Hashimoto’s/Thyroidectomy?

Having one AI disease predisposes a person to having a second one or more. The mechanism isn't completely understood, but researchers hypothesize it's due to a flawed gene.
    I have Hashimoto's and another AI disease myself.
    Best wishes to your wife.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    HalfDomer (10-27-2011)
    Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
    kmmarriott
    (female)

kmmarriott HB User
    Re: Second Auto-immune Disease After Hashimoto’s/Thyroidectomy?

I also have Hashimoto's. My endocrinologist told me from the get-go to expect to have at least one other AI in my lifetime. She didn't know why but she says that once you have one AI, your body becomes predisposed for others. It's not uncommon for AI patients to have 2-4 disorders by the time they die.

Closed Thread