It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 4 large >1 cm nodules; 1 cyst, 3 solid; L & R lobe involvement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
    sburgess1978
    (female)

sburgess1978 HB User
    4 large >1 cm nodules; 1 cyst, 3 solid; L & R lobe involvement

Hello!
    This is my first time posting on this board. I have only just gotten the report from a thyroid ultrasound. My story is complicated due to the fact that I have a brain tumor near my pituitary, so it's possible that the non-cancerous pituitary thing caused this? In any case, I'm going to just stick to my thyroid questions for the purpose of advise for what I need to ask the endocrinologist.

I had blood work done earlier this year which showed my TSH level as normal. However, the recent (Oct 27, 2011) ultrasound findings were as follows:

Right Lobe: (1) 1.6 x 0.9 x 1.3 cm predominantly cystic, (2) 0.8 x 1.2 cm iso or hypoechoic solid, (3) 0.9 x 1.3 cm hypoechoic solid.

Left Lobe: (1) 0.8 x 0.6 x 0.9 cm solitary minimally hypoechoic oval shaped nodule with some see through-transmission.

Impression: Four thyroid lesions, 3 of which are solid

Any advise as to what I should ask the endocrinologist? What to expect at the appointment, and if anyone else has seen or had a case like this before.. what was the outcome?

Thank you in advance for reading this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: 4 large >1 cm nodules; 1 cyst, 3 solid; L & R lobe involvement

You could have a "multinodular goiter" a lumpy bumpy thyroid--you should get an fna on the larger one, these are likely benign, but you should watch for changes over time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
    sburgess1978 (03-26-2012)
    Old 03-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
    sburgess1978
    (female)

sburgess1978 HB User

We waited and watched - my thyroid hormones are all still within normal levels.. the lumps have grown a little, and now some (new??) calcification is causing such a disturbance in the US that my endocrinologist believes that the largest nodule and it's neighbor are actually one irregular hypervascular lump, instead of two separate nodules. I go Wednesday for the jab (FNA). He said it will hurt enough to make me cry, and I am by no means any kind of wimp. He's a great guy, with a fantastic sense of humor. I have an intracranial pituitary tumor (benign), and that thing is probably the root of all my evils when it comes to my body. Honestly can't fault the noggin nugget (brain tumor) at this point though since all of my hormone levels came back normal. Thank you for your reply. Cross fingers that the 4 lumps turned into 6 or however many depending on calcification shadows etc. are just a quick snap away from being removed. I can't have drugs to shrink the lumps if my hormones are fine.. and my mom died of cancer at 51 - dad at 53.. so I'm ready for someone to stab me in the throat and be done with it!! (Morbid humor) Peace & Love all xoxoxox
    Remember..... "It Could Always Be Worse"

Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Unless your doctor is a sadist, I don't think an fna can make someone cry . It is just uncomfortable, not anything painful by any means. If you are scared, take some tylenol prior.

With a pituitary issue, I'm guessing your hormones really are off (you can post your results, being in range doesn't mean that you aren't lacking)---and maybe it's all related.

Thyroid cancer isn't a killer, it's a relatively easy to treat and curable cancer, so don't even let your mind go there.

Wishing you benign results!!!

Closed Thread