It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Is my doctor crazy..or am I..?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
    tifbowen
    (female)

tifbowen HB User
    Is my doctor crazy..or am I..?

Hi, I am new to this board, and I need some opinions. Hypothyroidism runs in my family, and I've been experiencing symptoms, extreme fatigue, hair loss, can't tolerate the cold..among others. I finally got my doctor to run some tests, which according to her, are normal, with the exception of one, and now she wants to do a thyroid ultrasound which is scheduled for Thursday. From the lab results I have in font of me, can anyone give me their opinions please? Thank you so much!

TSH w/ Reflex to FT4 2.84 (range 0.40 - 4.50)
    Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 680

She also ran a prolactin serum test due to some symptoms..that result was 8.0

FSH 4.1

And also an Alkaline Phosphatase result was out of range at 126 range is 33-115 U/L

Any input would be so helpful. I feel hypo...but I feel like i'm getting nowhere with my doctor

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
    Re: Is my doctor crazy..or am I..?

Welcome!

Sorry for the reason you're here but, glad you found us.

The reason you feel hypo is because you ARE hypo.

TSH > 2.0 often indicates hypothyroidism and your symptoms confirm this.

And, your high Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody level indicates that autoimmune Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the cause.

Once your doctor got those two results, she should have order further thyroid testing of the actual thyroid hormone levels (TSH is a pituitary hormone).

I'm confident your results will be below lab median.

I don't know if you will get anywhere with this doctor but, it wouldn't hurt to at least have your thyroid hormone levels checked:

FreeT4 (T4 or thyroxine, free, direct)
    FreeT3 (tri-iodothyronine, free, serum)

Feel free to post the results here but, please be sure to post the reference ranges for any bloodwork you share. Different labs use different ranges and your results can only be properly interpreted within the context of your lab's ranges.

Also, you might want to read "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Hypothyroidism". It was written by an endo who explains how people can have raging hypothyroidism with "normal" (aka in-range) labs.

Finally, you might want to review this symptoms list from a recent thread of mine and share any others you might have with your doctor:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=876498

And, if that gets you nowhere, you might need to do what many of us had to do....keep looking for a doctor until you find one that "gets thyroid".

Last edited by sammy64; 12-20-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
    tifbowen
    (female)

tifbowen HB User

Thank you Sammy. Wow, its amazing to me that doctors can be so..oblivious to symptoms and apparently even labs that should be clearly indicating a problem to them. I will check out the information you suggested, and will update after the ultrasound results come in. She also mentioned some kind of separate scan that may be needed to show thyroid function. I don't want to go through all this testing, but if it is necessary in order for me to eventually feel better...then..so be it, I suppose. Thanks again.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Please realize that your doctor already has enough information to diagnose you.

The ultrasound is always a good idea to check for nodules and general condition of the thyroid. In fact, the condition of your thyroid could also indicate Hashi's.

Please know that you do not need an uptake scan. The blood work and ultrasound provide better information. Why expose yourself to unnecessary radiation?

Best of luck to you moving forward - please keep us posted.

Closed Thread

Tags
    hypothyroid question, thyroid disorder