It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• test results - help/advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
    alicehatter
    (female)

alicehatter HB User
    Unhappy test results - help/advice

Hello,
    I have been experiencing hypo symptoms for several years: cold sensitivity, hands and feet are freezing most all of the time, joint/muscle aches, very heavy periods, tired, foggy thinking, brittle hair/nails, weight gain, difficulty losing weight. However, I've also experienced heart palpitations at various times.
    I just got my results back but they are so confusing. I am going this Thursday to see an endocrinologist (a different one). I saw one 2 years ago and was told my #'s were fine so my thryoid is fine. They keep an eye on it due to thyroid disorders and cancer in my family.
    Here are the results - if anyone has any input, please let me know:

FREE T3 3.0 pg/ml (2.2 - 4.2)
    PTH (Parathyroid Hormone) 44.1 pg/ml (7.5-53.5)
    FREE T4 1.1 NG/DL (0.78-2.19)
    Thyroglobulin AB <20 (<20)
    Thyroid Peroxidase AB <10 (<35)
    T4 7.81 mcg/dL (5.53-11.0)
    TSH Cascade 0.52 uIU/ml (0.465 - 4.68)
    T3 Uptake 30.4% (23.5 - 40.5)

I do have one small nodule on my thryoid that an ultra sound was done on and although I haven't gotten my Endo's input/feedback on that, my family doctor seems to think it is just a cyst on the thyroid.

Thank you for any input. This is very confusing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
    Re: test results - help/advice

Sorry to hear of all you've endured - it sounds like you've been dealing with hypothyroidism for quite some time and your doctors haven't recognized the obvious.

You did have some outdated tests run so, I will address the tests that provide accurate information.

Firstly, your antibody test results....

Thyroglobulin AB <20 (<20)
    Thyroid Peroxidase AB <10 (<35)

These two antibodies are often seen in Hashi's, the most common cause of hypothyroidism. Just like you, many people don't test positive for the antibodies. Hashi's is definitively confirmed through biopsy only. Since hypothyroidism is treated the same, regardless of the cause, this isn't necessary.

Now, your thyroid hormone levels are most definitely hypothyroid:

FREE T3 3.0 pg/ml (2.2 - 4.2)
    FREE T4 1.1 NG/DL (0.78-2.19)

Most healthy people have FreeT3 and FreeT4 levels well above mid-range, if not towards the high end of the range.

You will note that your FreeT3 level is just under mid-range and your FreeT4 level is very much under mid-range.

I suspect that your TSH result has been confusing doctors since it is in-range...and at the lower end of the range

TSH Cascade 0.52 uIU/ml (0.465 - 4.68)

TSH can take YEARS to rise above-range and that's what clueless doctors wait for before giving a hypothyroidism diagnosis.

Doctors that understand thyroid disease know that TSH is a pituitary hormone and does not provide reliable information about thyroid function.

Thyroid-savvy doctors look at the actual thyroid hormone levels - FreeT3 and FreeT4.

You should be started on some thyroid hormone replacement.

Please let us know what the endo says tomorrow.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

PS I know nothing about Parathyroid function nor how to interpret the test results.
    The other tests were the outdated thyroid tests I referred to in my earlier post.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
    alicehatter
    (female)

alicehatter HB User

Sammy,
    Thank you so much for replying. Just hearing someone say that the #'s warrant treatment make me feel "less crazy" However, I'm nervous that this new endo I'm going to may not do anything. I did ask the nurse at his office when I made the appt. whether he just looks only at TSH or if he also takes into account Free T3 and T4. She said he looks at all of them as a whole. Maybe this is good news?

Old 01-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I hope it's good news.

I will admit I heard the same from my 3 former endos and they had no idea how to treat thyroid disease.

Let's see what the endo says.

If the appointment is a bomb, I have some suggestions that might help you find a thyroid-savvy doctor.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
    alicehatter
    (female)

alicehatter HB User

Well, as it turns out this endo told me that all of my #'s are in range so the symptoms I have cannot be from my thyroid. Now what?

Old 01-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

So sorry to hear this. Endos are often the worst at recognizing hypothyroidism even if it smacks them in the face.

More likely than not, Dr. Right will come in the form of an internist, DO or alternative MD.

Some forum members have had success getting contact info from local pharmacists (including compounding pharmacists) for doctors that Rx Armour and/or Cytomel (pronounced cye-toe-mel). Thes are two types of thyroid meds that thyroid-savvy doctors Rx.

Don't give up until you find a doctor that recognizes your obvious hypothyroidism. Many of us have had to see a succession of doctors before finding one that "gets thyroid" (I'm on #5 myself).

It is worth every effort.

Closed Thread