It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Latest Lab Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
    Rainlie
    (female)

Rainlie HB User
    Latest Lab Results

A few weeks ago I decided to see a doctor that I had seen in the past. She moved from the town that I live in and went in practice with another group of doctors in another town. I have been to 2 Medical doctors and 2 Endocrinologists with not any good results. I told her of all my symptoms fatigue, being tired all the time , hair loss, insomnia. She looked in my eyes and said that they looked a little pale. She wondered if I had ever been anemic. I said no. She did a lot of bloodwork. These are the results.

WBC 5.25 Range 4.6 - 10.2

RBC 4.18 Range 4.04 -6.13

HGB 12.9 Range 12 -16

HCT 36.8 Range 36 - 47

PLT 312 Range 142 - 424

Thyroid Profile

TSH 2.637 Range 0.3 - 3.04

T3 Uptake 0.81 Range 0.66 - 1.27

T4, Thyroxine 6.52 Range 4.5 -12

FT1 8.05

FREE T3 2.51 Range 1.80 - 4.20

FREE T4 0.92 Range 0.71 - 1.85

Iron Serum 62 Range 30 - 160

Ferritin 63.1 Range 13 -150

Vitamin B12 + Folate 408 Range 243 - 894

FOLATE, Serum 13.6 - Range 9.1- 30.9

She said that my Thyroid was fine. I am taking 25 mcg. of Levothyroxine every day. She said to stay on the same dose.

She said that even though my iron was within range that she thought that was why I am so tired and I am having hair loss. She told me to take 1 65 mg. iron a day. She said to call her in a month to let her know if I was feeling better. I have been on the iron since December 16 and I do not feel any better. I got sick right after Christmas. My throat was killing me and having bad headaches. I went to a doctor in my town for this. She said it was probably a viral infection. I am almost finished with that medicine and my throat still doesn't feel exactly right. My immune system seems terrible now. I am sick all the time. Can being Hypothyroid cause your immune system to be very bad? I do not feel any better now that I have taken the iron. I feel the same. I guess I will take it a couple more weeks and call her and let her know.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me? I am at my wits end. I just feel terrible. I just wish that I could feel normal again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Latest Lab Results

You are hypothyroid according to those labs, which means the 25 mcgs you're taking is totally inadequate. You need to know that 25 mcgs is a "non-dose", only meant as a starting dose and to be increased in 6 week intervals until levels are optimized and symptoms disappear. The prescribing information of all the major levoT products says as much. That small an amount can have the effect of making you even more hypothyroid than you were before you started taking it.

I suggest you tell your doctor that you want enough of a dose increase to get your TSH to 1.0 and your free T4 to at least 1.3. If she won't accomodate this important request, I urge you to find a more knowledgeable MD. One who doesn't think that 25 mcgs can ever be a therapeutic dose for any human being.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    Rainlie (01-12-2012)
    Old 01-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

While I don't know how to properly interpret your "non-thyroid" test results, I can tell you that your doctor is dead wrong about your thyroid results.

I don't know a single person that would feel good with your levels.

Your doctor ran some outdated tests that don't provide accurate information so, I will address the results of the proper tests she ran:

TSH 2.637 Range 0.3 - 3.04

FREE T3 2.51 Range 1.80 - 4.20

FREE T4 0.92 Range 0.71 - 1.85

Firstly, thyroid-savvy doctors know that TSH > 2 indicates hypothyroidism. And, they also know that pituitary hormone TSH should not be used to evaluate thyroid function.

Instead, they look at the actual thyroid hormone levels. If those levels do not mirror the types of levels healthy people have and the patient is complaining about symptoms, it's time to adjust the dose.

Healthy people have FreeT3, FreeT4 levels above mid-range and closer to the higher end of the range.

Your FreeT3 level is below mid-range....and your FreeT4 level is near the bottom end of the range.

No wonder you feel horrible!

And, please know that 25mcg levothyroxine is a common starting dose - it's rarely a therapeutic dose.

I suggest you find a more thyroid-savvy doctor. Dr. Right will most often come in the form of an internist, DO, or alternative MD.

Some thyroid forum members have had success by getting contact info from local pharmacists (including compounding pharmacists) for doctors that Rx Armour and/or Cytomel. These are two types of thyroid meds that thyroid-savvy doctors Rx.

Don't give up until you find a better doctor - it is worth every effort.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
    Rainlie (01-12-2012)
    Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
    Rainlie
    (female)

Rainlie HB User

Thank you so much for responding to my question. Are you Hypothyroid? What kind of medicine are you taking and the dosage. What is so strange about what is going on with me is, I was started on 50 mcg of Levothyroxine and when I was checked my TSH was too low, then I was decreased back to 25 Mcg of Levothyroxine and my TSH was a little over 3, then I was increased to 75 Mcg and my TSH bottomed out. It was very low. I was sweating bad, the enzymes went up in my liver and I felt worse than ever. Then I went to a Endocrinologist she pulled me off the Levothyroxine and checked my bloodwork and it was similar to what it was this last time I had it checked. She said my readings were good and that I didn't need to even be on thyroid medicine. I have been having these symptoms over 2 years and have went to 5 doctors. I wonder if Cytomel or Armour could be prescribed along with Levothyroxine? I am just wondering because 25mcg, 50mcg, and 75mcg. was never the right dosage. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks a lot!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I'm not sure to whom your questions were posed but, will answer them as they apply to me.

As my signature indicates, yes, I am hypothyroid. While I will share my meds and doses, please know that each of us has different requirements for thyroid hormone. Rather than the meds/doses that we take, it's our actual thyroid hormone levels that matter most. Our levels should be such that we are free from thyroid symptoms.

I take alternating doses of 112/125mcg levothyroxine (generic Synthroid) and 5mcg liothyronine (generic Cytomel). My optimal levels are: FreeT4 at least 1.7 (.82-1.77) and FreeT3 at least 3.8 (2.0 - 4.4) I continue to feel well with even higher levels as long as neither goes too much above-range.

I see a major problem with your care and it explains why you had trouble with your various doses - your doctor was always adjusting your dose based upon your TSH.

TSH is a pituitary hormone that stimulates the thyroid to produce thyroid hormone.

Once you start taking thyroid hormone, your TSH will drop because of this.

So, your doctor was wrong to reduce your dose when your TSH dropped - I doubt your actual thyroid hormone levels were anywhere near the types of levels healthy people have - FreeT4/T3 in the upper half/upper third of the range.

Of course, after the dose reduction, your TSH increased because your body needed more hormone.

Going from 25mcg to 75mcg is insane - too much, too soon. No wonder you had symptoms.

The endo you saw sounds like many clueless doctors - she saw your "normal" (aka in-range) labs and assumed they were YOUR normal.

At the end of the day, you need to find yet another doctor - one that understands thyroid function.

You might have success in getting contact info from local pharmacists (including compounding pharmacists) for doctors that Rx Armour and/or Cytomel. These are two types of thyroid hormone meds that thyroid-savvy doctors Rx.

And, for whatever it's worth: people either take levothyroxine alone, levo w/Cytomel, Armour alone, or Armour w/levo.

It's all about optimizing levels and taking whatever meds/meds doses necessary to accomplish this.

Last edited by sammy64; 01-11-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
    Rainlie
    (female)

Rainlie HB User

Thank you so much for responding to my questions and for all the information that you gave me. It really means a lot to know that someone takes their time and truly cares about what is really going on. Again, thank you so much.

Closed Thread