It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• puffy face changing from day to day?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
    thefourthmairi
    (female)

thefourthmairi HB Userthefourthmairi HB User
    puffy face changing from day to day?

Ok, I've seen posts about this elsewhere on the board with other people having puffy face, and I'm curious if others see any slight change during the day or from day to day in their puffyness? Does it ever go down quite a bit for a few hours only to come back?

Background:
    I was recently diagnosed with Hashi's (hypothyroid--will post the only tests I have below), and started Synthroid 50 mcg Jan 10th am.
    Initially noticed some substantive improvement (although swelling wasn't gone, just diminished) in the first few weeks with the facial swelling (and other symptoms), but then around week 4 symptoms seemed to entirely relapse.

I've had unexplained facial swelling that is often uneven, and never fully goes away but often decreases substantively, only to come back worse than before. I spent May through August of 2010 chasing this, and the tingling feeling it caused with a neurologist, only to wind up at a chiropractor because my neck wouldn't turn anymore. Regular adjustments combined with lymphatic massage drained my face and kept things looking mostly normal until this past summer, when the swelling came back worse than ever, and impacting my neck/lymph nodes for the first time ever. This time there's been almost no tingling with the swelling, although there is a sense of pressure that sometimes causes headaches when the swelling is changing sides or moving from my chin/neck to my upper face.
    My endo initially thought this was another thyroid symptom, but now she says if it comes and goes it can't be thyroid. Is she right?

I've only been seeing her since late November (had pneumonia then so she wanted to wait for that to clear up) and on meds since Jan, so I can't tell if she's only treating based on test results, but this time she said my bloodwork was normal and she didn't want to change anything yet since it was too soon. She also doesn't want to up my dosage even though I still have symptoms (still wearing two sweaters, two pairs of pants/socks, etc. all the time, and COLD, still not losing weight, etc.) However, the fact that she says my levels are normal so she's not doing anything leaves me doubting her.

The only test results I currently have are from 6 weeks ago, trying to get a copy of the ones done last Friday...
    1/4/2012:
    T4 Total: 7.6 reference range 4.5-12.5
    T4 Free: 1.04 reference range 0.89-1.76
    TSH: 5.660 reference range 0.380-3.790
    No T3 tests...obviously hoping to inquire about those...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
    DurbanDon
    (male)

DurbanDon HB User
    Re: puffy face changing from day to day?

thyroid dysfunction can cause almost any problems the whole body needs thyroid hormone.

of all possible symptoms,some are quite scary but as you will see anything can happen with thyroid dysfunction.the typical symptoms like low or high HR and so on are just the most common.some people hallucinate have tunnel vision even paralysis happens to very few people but there is much more,dysfunction will show itself on the weakest parts of your body. eg I smoke and had very bad breathing problems.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-15-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
    thefourthmairi
    (female)

I can't tell from the edits, but I think I'm trying to find out if the symptoms ever change in severity. I thought if my TSH levels are changing with Hashimoto's, it would explain the changing symptoms, but now I'm not sure.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Symptoms will change in severity until levels have been optimized....this is all part of having thyroid disease and dealing with the meds titration process.

I don't know a single person that would be without symptoms if he/she had your FreeT4 level - it's way too low.

50mcg is rarely a therapeutic dose so, once you get copies of your most recent labs, I suspect you will see that your FreeT4 level still needs help.

Based upon your lab's ranges, most people would need a FreeT4 level at least 1.4 and probably closer to 1.6 (or higher) to be symptom-free.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
    thefourthmairi (02-16-2012)
    Old 02-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
    thefourthmairi
    (female)

Once again, this is really useful deeply appreciated information! And my current labs are in the mail, so I feel like the patient, supportive people here have been so informative and reassuring. I have a much better sense of what is realistic and appropriate.

The following user gives a hug of support to thefourthmairi:
    sammy64 (02-16-2012)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    edema, face swelling, facial swelling