It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Progesterone or T3 for mood and health once euthyroid?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #16
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
    Re: Progesterone or T3 for mood and health once euthyroid?

TSH can sometimes provide an indication as to what's going on but, it is not reliable to confirm thyroid function. TSH can be significantly different even at different times of the day.

The best tests to evaluate thyroid function are the FreeT4 and FreeT3 tests.

So, yes, your tests from Sept - Feb are pretty much the same - hypo, hypo, hypo because your FreeT4 levels were near the bottom end of the range. (anti-thyroid drug dosing is *always* based upon the FreeT4 level).

Your current TSH indicates that your thyroid hormone levels are increasing but, as you can see, your FreeT4 level is still hypo.

It's because some of your doctors (and many others) focus mostly on TSH that patients never achieve wellness.

The only levels that "count" when taking meds are the FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels.

I'm sorry your doctor isn't medicating you properly. Going off 2.5mg is too much of a jolt to the system. You might be OK but, it would have been much better if your doctor did things the right way. Decrease to 1.25mg.....then 1.25mg every other day.....then 1.25mg every third day. And, labs would have been done 3-4 wks. after each decrease.

If your TSH stays at .3 or higher *and* your FreeT4 level is in the upper half/upper third of the range, that's a sign that remission is imminent.

And, the information I just gave you about TSH *only* applies if you don't have TSH receptor antibodies messing with things.

If you do have TSH receptor antibodies, your TSH would go lower as your FreeT4 level rises.

As I've told you previously, the right way to be medicated for Graves'/hyperthyroidism is to take the lowest possible dose that will maintain the FreeT4 level in the upper half/upper third of the range, regardless of TSH.

Your doctor is obviously not aware of what constitutes the lowest possible dose. (sigh)

Last edited by sammy64; 04-05-2012 at 05:11 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
    mmandar (04-05-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread