It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Need help with labs post thyroidectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
    Wilson1134
    (female)

Wilson1134 HB User
    Need help with labs post thyroidectomy

Hoping someone can help me with my confusing lab results:

TSH .24
    FreeT3 1.22
    FreeT4 .86

The nurse simply said that my TSH was too low and the Dr. wants me to cut back on my dose.

I am currently taking 90 mg of Armour. I am 5'5" and 154 lbs I recently lost 7 lbs and I am wondering if this has any thing to do with my labs.

Also, these are my first labs on Armour. I was on 137 mcg of Synthroid for months after my Thyroidectomy in Nov 2011. My last labs were TSH 1.5; FT3 1.3 and FT4 1.7 but I felt AWFUL.

How can I feel so great on Armour and my labs be so confusing where I felt so bad on Synthroid with more optimal T3 and T4??

Is there something I am missing with the T3/T4 that could help normalize all 3 tests

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Need help with labs post thyroidectomy

Because you're taking Armour, your MD should expect your TSH to be below the normal range. The T3 in the Armour causes TSH to be suppressed when the dose is optimal. The TSH level should be ignored. I take dessicated thyroid, and my TSH has never been higher than .02 during most of the time I've been on it. My MD knows that my dose isn't excessive, because my FT4 and FT3 aren't excessive.

Your Armour dose is an appropriate equivalent of the dose of Synthroid you were taking. If you feel well, if your weight loss isn't unwelcome, and if you have no other signs/symptoms of overmedication - then you should be allowed to remain on the 90 mgs of Armour. Fight for it. Your MD needs to brush up on the prescribing information for the products he prescribes, and you shouldn't be made to suffer his ignorance.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    jaymee456 (03-06-2012)
    Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
    Wilson1134
    (female)

Wilson1134 HB User

Thanks midwest1. That's what I was thinking too about my TSH.

Any ideas on why my T3 and T4 are low? I think I can convince him to stay on my 90 mg, but the drop of the 3&4 should be addressed, right?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
    but the drop of the 3&4 should be addressed, right?
    Not necessarily. If you feel fine the way things are, you don't need to worry about that. If you do think you have lingering symptoms that could need improvement, then raising the FTs would be something to consider. I have a feeling your MD may not agree. You'd have to work around his resistence somehow.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
    Wilson1134
    (female)

Wilson1134 HB User
    Smile Re: Need help with labs post thyroidectomy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    Not necessarily. If you feel fine the way things are, you don't need to worry about that. If you do think you have lingering symptoms that could need improvement, then raising the FTs would be something to consider. I have a feeling your MD may not agree. You'd have to work around his resistence somehow.

Thanks! I only spoke with the nurse and I have put a call in to the Dr. Will let you know how it goes. I appreciate it. Will fight for my 90 mg. I like feeling good!!

Closed Thread

Tags
    armour, free t3, free t4, synthroid, thyroidectomy