It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Lab results - advice, please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
    thethinme
    (female)

thethinme HB User
    Question Lab results - advice, please!

Hello all, first post here. Just got new lab results from my PCP. She is a TSH-lover-doc who thinks anything below 4.5 is in normal range. She said she won't treat me at this time, unless I am looking to become pregnant in which case my TSH would ideally be "1.5-2.5" according to her. I find this so conflicting... so my body should be in an ideal range for pregnancy, but not ideal, hormonally, for my own well-being?

You will notice that my last exam does not include Free T4 as according to the lab, I am within normal range and therefore no T4 test needed to be done. argh...

anyway, please give me some advice, and help me read the results, as I plan to go to another doctor I found in Shomon's list. which, in your opinion, would be the best meds for me?

--RESULTS FROM MARCH 12 2012 LAB--

(1) TSH W/FREE T4 RFX (43562A)

TSH 3.88 MIU/L (0.40-4.50)

TSH REFERENCE RANGE - FOR PREGNANT PATIENTS:
    FIRST TRIMESTER 0.20-4.70 MIU/L
    SECOND TRIMESTER 0.30-4.10 MIU/L
    THIRD TRIMESTER 0.40-2.70 MIU/L

(2) T3,TOTAL 79 NG/DL (76-181)

(3) T3,FREE 2.8 PG/ML (2.3-4.2)

(4) THYROID AB (ATA,TPO)
    THYROID PEROXIDASE AB <10 IU/ML (<35)
    THYROGLOBULIN AB <20 IU/ML (<20)

(5) TSI
    TSI 29 % BASELINE (<140)

-- Results from FEBRUARY 15 2012 lab--

- Tests: (3) TSH W/FREE T4 RFX (43562A)

TSH [H] 4.68 MIU/L (0.40-4.50)

T4, FREE 1.2 NG/DL (0.8-1.8)

- Tests: (4) Total T3 (30536R)

T3,TOTAL 79 NG/DL (76-181)

Also, my LDL colestherol came back high for the first time in my life:

- Tests: (1) Lipid Panel (CPT-80061)
    CHOLESTEROL,TOTAL [H] 208 MG/DL (125-200)
    LDL CHOL, CALCULATED [H] 130 MG/DL (<130)

Last edited by thethinme; 03-12-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
    rtis44
    (female)

rtis44 HB Userrtis44 HB User
    Re: Lab results - advice, please!

these labs look hypo to me. do you have symptoms? if so, i would try a low dose synthetic T4 to start. The TSH on both is too high, and the only Free T3 i see here is too low. most importantly is having hypo symptoms, and i would get tested for hashi's also. good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to rtis44 For This Useful Post:
    thethinme (03-13-2012)
    Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
    thethinme
    (female)

thethinme HB User

thanks rtis44. Yes I do have symptoms, mainly extreme fatigue and depression, as well as cold intolerance and brain fog.

Shouldn't I also take T3 to begin with since mine is low and therefore there's a possibility I have trouble to convert T4 to T3?

Isn't the Thyroid AB test my doctor did the one that determines if I have Hashimoto or not? This one:

(4) THYROID AB (ATA,TPO)
    THYROID PEROXIDASE AB <10 IU/ML (<35)
    THYROGLOBULIN AB <20 IU/ML (<20)

Or is there another test I am not aware of for Hashimoto?

And what is the TSI test for?

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

There's always a "possibility" that T4 won't convert well, but you can't know that ahead of time. Most people do fine with T4-only meds, despite what you read in thyroid formums. It's probably a good idea to go into it with a doctor willing to prescribe T3, if needed, to avoid having to switch MDs yet again if it is.

Yes, the antibody tests you had are for Hashimoto's. They are negative. The tests are only so accurate, can be false-negative up to 20% of the time. Autoimmunity is the leading cause of hypothyroidism, but it doesn't change the treatment in any way. Treatment is the same as for hypoT from any cause.

I'm glad you're being diligent about finding a diagnosis. Wishing you good luck with it!

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    thethinme (03-13-2012)
    Old 03-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
    thethinme
    (female)

thethinme HB User

thank you very much midwest1.
    the new doctor I'm going in a couple of weeks is open minded (prescribes natural hormones if needed), so it seems I should probably trust him if he recommends T4 only, right? I just don't understand what should be taken into consideration when they prescribe meds then, if we can't know things ahead, etc. the meds work on error and trial, is that how it works?

hopefully my antibodies will keep being negative in the future. how often people get tested for these to rule out the false negatives?

thanks for your wishes. when I realized this was more complex than it seems, and that my PCP only follows conservative rules for treatment, I understood I had to take this in my hands and understand it myself so I could be my own advocate good luck to you as well and thanks again for your opinion.

Closed Thread