It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Advice regarding lab results and levoxyl dosing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
    bioqueen
    (female)

bioqueen HB User
    Smile Advice regarding lab results and levoxyl dosing

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this group, but have been impressed with all the information that I have read so far on the healthboards. Would appreciate some feedback on what has been going on with my thyroid the past 12 months!

Last year, I had been diagnosed with subclinical hypothryoidism based on a TSH of 4.66 (lab range: 0.4-4.5) and a freee t4 of 1.19 (lab range: 0.8-2.7). I went to see an endo because my LDL was elevated for the first time in my life at 142 (normal <130 mg/dL). My LDL has always been around 100 or less.
    Endo said that 4.66 was too high for my TSH and prescribed 50 mcg of Levoxyl which I took for six weeks and my results came back as follows: TSH of 1.3 and free t4 of 1.6. Endo was happy with results and I continued taking50 mcg for the next 3 months. After 4 months on 50 mcg, was retested and TSH was 2.45 and free t4 was 2.5. Endo increased dose to 75 mcg since thought that 2.45 was too high for TSH and I was retested in another six weeks after taking new dose. TSH was then 0.03 and free t4 came back at 3.8!! Now I was hyperthyroid. So, dose was lowered back to 50 mcg and when retested in six weeks, my TSH was 42 and free t4 was 1.10. Endo thinks that I had experienced a subacute thyroiditis which caused the hyperthyroid and hypothyroid fluctuation. It has been about 9 weeks since TSH was so high. Now, at a dose of approximately 68 mcg (taking 75 mcg
    5x/week and 50 mcg 2x/week), my TSH just came back at 11.77 and am awaiting free t4. I have been very TIRED and feel terrible. Seems odd that I have never had a TSH in my life above 3.0 except for the 4.66 a year ago, and now my TSH is all over the map!! Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! THANK YOU!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
    lisa789
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
    Re: Advice regarding lab results and levoxyl dosing

Welcome to the board.

Were you diagnosed Hashimoto? Were your antibodies tested? if so I'd think you had a flare of active hashi's which caused your hyper flare. It's not uncommon to happen and after that one becomes more hypo which seems to be the case for you.

Did the doctor suggest another increase? I assume you still need one.

The symptoms you describe fit hypoT, things will get better once your levels are better and things settle down.

hang in there!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
    bioqueen
    (female)

bioqueen HB User
    Re: Advice regarding lab results and levoxyl dosing

Thanks for your response. I have never been tested for Hashi's and have not had my antibodies tested. Endo thinks that I have subclinical hypothyroidism from my initial TSH of 4.66 one year ago. My TSH for the previous 20 years was always in the range of 2.3 to 3.5 and I never had been to see an endo. Only went because my LDL cholesterol had been slightly elevated.

Is Hashi's only determined by antibody test? Could the levoxyl medication make my thyroid go up and down like a rollercoaster the past few months?

Going to see endo this week to determine what we are going to do about the dose and to see what my free t4 number is.

THANKS again for replying to my message.

Closed Thread