It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Started armour and low iron

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
roccoman
(female)

roccoman HB User
Started armour and low iron

Hi My doctor just started me on a low dose of armour thyroid, I split the 15mg in half each mornong, so I only take half each day 7mg? I am borderline amemic, its just below the average range. Its been a week and I just started noticing my heart rate is slightly elevated, 95. I don't feel it pounding but I feel if I continue its only gonna get higher each day.I feel a not in my chest. is there a supplement that helps with the iron quickly? is this the reasoning why my heart rate is elevated?
Thanks in advanced!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
susieq0726
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: Started armour and low iron

Why did you doc give you the Armour? Have you had blood tests that confirm your thyroid is out of whack? Armour has both T3 & T4 hormones in it and it can make your heart race (T3) if you don't need it. Why not just give you iron????

Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
roccoman
(female)

roccoman HB User

Hi I have hashimotos. So I guess thats why he put me on it, my T3 was on the low side and my t4 was a average range, I think the cut off was 12.0 and mine was 9.4. HI have antibodies for hashis. but my iron is low too along with high cholestrol, and so on.
Thanks for getting back to me.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
susieq0726
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I have hashi's too. I have tried to take Nature Throid (very small dose) and it does the same thing to me. You are I sound like we are in the same boat.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
roccoman
(female)

roccoman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieq0726 View Post
I have hashi's too. I have tried to take Nature Throid (very small dose) and it does the same thing to me. You are I sound like we are in the same boat.
so are you on anything for the hashis? are your numbers all in range? I just got bloodwork done yesterday while I was on armour, I started out on 5mg compound, for the past month and about 7 days ago I started the armour 15 cut in half so only 7mg a day, and it started 3 days ago the heart rate, are you anemic? or your iron ferritin low? ugh. I felt great except now this! so aggravating isn't it?

The Following User Says Thank You to roccoman For This Useful Post:
Moo77 (03-30-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
susieq0726
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccoman View Post
so are you on anything for the hashis? are your numbers all in range? I just got bloodwork done yesterday while I was on armour, I started out on 5mg compound, for the past month and about 7 days ago I started the armour 15 cut in half so only 7mg a day, and it started 3 days ago the heart rate, are you anemic? or your iron ferritin low? ugh. I felt great except now this! so aggravating isn't it?
Oh it's awful. I went a whole year feeling terrible before I found out what was wrong. I went the ER 10 times!!!! All my other blood work is ok, and I am not anemic. Iron is fine. Here are my last labs:
TSH - 3.9 (range .03 - 3.0)
Free T3 - 2.8 (range 2.5 - 6.5)
Free T4 - .09 (range .07 - 3.0)
TPO - 439
My TSH is just over normal and though my "T"s are in range, they are very low. The TPO clarifies hashi's. I am taking vitamins C, D, B12, B complex, magnesium, calcium, zinc & selenium. I am also taking Thytrophin which is a thyroid supplement but has no active hormones in it. It's supposed to boost what thyroid I have left and give my antibodies something else to beat up instead of my thyroid. I have been trying to take the Nature Throid, but even the smallest dose gives me hyper symptoms so I don't know what to do.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
roccoman
(female)

roccoman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieq0726 View Post
Oh it's awful. I went a whole year feeling terrible before I found out what was wrong. I went the ER 10 times!!!! All my other blood work is ok, and I am not anemic. Iron is fine. Here are my last labs:
TSH - 3.9 (range .03 - 3.0)
Free T3 - 2.8 (range 2.5 - 6.5)
Free T4 - .09 (range .07 - 3.0)
TPO - 439
My TSH is just over normal and though my "T"s are in range, they are very low. The TPO clarifies hashi's. I am taking vitamins C, D, B12, B complex, magnesium, calcium, zinc & selenium. I am also taking Thytrophin which is a thyroid supplement but has no active hormones in it. It's supposed to boost what thyroid I have left and give my antibodies something else to beat up instead of my thyroid. I have been trying to take the Nature Throid, but even the smallest dose gives me hyper symptoms so I don't know what to do.
my sister has hashis also, she stared on 15mg of armour had tightness in chest heart rate and all, she stopped. went on synthroid much better, no heart racing. she is on the lowest dose.
do you have symptoms? I noticed the b12 shots have helped me with my energy, I was low also. I've had no problems with weight gain but the past 6 months I have gained 10pounds and no change in diet. I exercise too 5 times a week an hour a day! ugh. I have other issues also typ1 diabetic, so don't know if that affects the meds.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
susieq0726
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccoman View Post
my sister has hashis also, she stared on 15mg of armour had tightness in chest heart rate and all, she stopped. went on synthroid much better, no heart racing. she is on the lowest dose.
do you have symptoms? I noticed the b12 shots have helped me with my energy, I was low also. I've had no problems with weight gain but the past 6 months I have gained 10pounds and no change in diet. I exercise too 5 times a week an hour a day! ugh. I have other issues also typ1 diabetic, so don't know if that affects the meds.
I have weird symptoms. Tinnitus, off balance feeling, I had anxiety in the beginning, but that's pretty much under control now. I have actually lost weight so no issues there. No hair falling out either - still very thick. Headaches sometimes. I truly think I am right on the edge. Not quite hypo yet and my thyroid is still trying to fight back. That's why I can't take the meds yet. My thyroid isn't dead. My hashi's is a result of me being gluten intolerant so I am also on a gluten free diet.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #9
Moo77
(female)

Moo77 HB User

I could have written your post there suzie. My tsh was between 1.82 and 2.08 so 'normal' by all standards. T4 on both occasions have been low at 12 and 14 respectively. I am taking meds but haven't been tested for hashis but thinking its about high time I was. I have mucked around with my dose so now am on 25 mcgs for 6 weeks then get blood tested and decide what to do from there. I too have thick healthy hair - no proba there and am relatively 'fit' apart from the crashes I have. Tinnitus too even though ent says ears are great(do have inflamed nasal passages though). I've learned that not all hypo symptoms relate to everyone and in fact one of my work colleagues passed comment that I couldn't possible be hypo because I have my hair and workout and amnt grossly overweight. Well my bloods say otherwise. I think I just need tweaking to get stable.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
susieq0726
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wink Re: Started armour and low iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo77 View Post
I could have written your post there suzie. My tsh was between 1.82 and 2.08 so 'normal' by all standards. T4 on both occasions have been low at 12 and 14 respectively. I am taking meds but haven't been tested for hashis but thinking its about high time I was. I have mucked around with my dose so now am on 25 mcgs for 6 weeks then get blood tested and decide what to do from there. I too have thick healthy hair - no proba there and am relatively 'fit' apart from the crashes I have. Tinnitus too even though ent says ears are great(do have inflamed nasal passages though). I've learned that not all hypo symptoms relate to everyone and in fact one of my work colleagues passed comment that I couldn't possible be hypo because I have my hair and workout and amnt grossly overweight. Well my bloods say otherwise. I think I just need tweaking to get stable.

Hi Moo,
Yes - Have your antibodies checked to see if you are indeed Hashi's. The meds are really hard for me to take because just the smallest doseage puts me hyper. I have stopped taking them for now and just taking vitamins & the Thytrophin which is a non-hormonal thyroid supplement.
My hair is thick and isn't falling out and I have actually lost weight over this. I wasn't heavy to begin with, but it's sure nice to dig into the dresser and put on the size 5 jeans I haven't been able to wear until now!
I think this has alot to do with the fact I am gluten free now and don't eat alot of crap anymore. I think the Thytrophin also dims my appetite as well. My ears are fine too, they just ring all the time and the off balance thing is the worst. If I could just get rid of that I would be ok. I can deal with the crashes.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Moo77
(female)

Moo77 HB User

Well I have lived with the standard chronic fatigue/depression diagnosis since I was 16 - and accepted this until after I had my 2nd very premature baby. Then I started to question things a lot more. A LOT more. I have been on an anti depressant for almost 12 yrs because of this so called diagnosis. This very special medicine was ' working' when I felt ok and 'not working' when I felt bad. Has anyone heard of such a medicine??!! I mean really. Maybe it's because that med could NEVER treat the real cause of my issues!! It's also notoriously difficult to come off but I'll deal with that when everything stabilises. I'm pretty raw about the whole thing and I had to pay for a private doctor to get a diagnosis otherwise I would just be struggling along trying to work out what was wrong with me. However my gp will now monitor my bloods for me even though they did nothing about it in the first place. Anyhow slowly slowly monkey monkey is the approach I'm taking with thyroxine. I started too fast and too high but I have experienced periods of feeling very well so I know I'm on the right track.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
susieq0726
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh the doctors,,,,There isn't enough time in the day to say what I think about most of them,,,,,I started feeling horrible a year ago. After 10 trips to the ER and NUMEROUS doctor visits, all they wanted to do was give me Prozac & Prilosec. I kept blaming perimenopause because I am that age now, but something kept telling me there was more because I felt awful EVERYDAY. My first IDIOT doctor ran my TSH only and said that "4.62 was normal". REALLY!???? I finally ended up at a naturopath who ran all the tests and that's how I found out it was Hashi's. Then, I go back to my second IDIOT doctor and he wants to put me on Levothroid at 100mcgs AS A STARTING DOSE! Well you can imagine how that went,,,,,four days later I was in the ER for overmedication.
I am trying to take the Nature Throid the natural doc gave me, but I struggle with the T3 part of it. We are trying to get my immune system to settle down because she thinks this is why I am having these hyper/hypo swings - and they are miserable. I am on a gluten free diet now so we will see.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
Moo77
(female)

Moo77 HB User

Wow that's a big dose to start with. I was on 50 for 3 weeks 75 for 3 weeks then 100 for 5 and I felt really really bad. I keeled over at work. So went to 75 for a few days then down to 25 for about 10 days then up to 50 and just recently on to 25. In between all these changes I did have a period of feeling very well for a short period of time!! No idea what dose is going to work for me so starting from scratch and doing bloods in 6 weeks.
My bloods taken about 3 weeks into taking the 100 showed I was over medicated but at that point felt ok. Then about 3 weeks after that I started to feel really unwell.

The thing is there is so much information out there and I've tried to take on 3 or 4 different sets of advice. Plus the private doc seems to be a bit over enthusiastic as to how much med I should be on whilst my gp thinks it should be slower with tests every 6 weeks after a dose change. I think that's the approach to take. Im not a screaming hypo if that makes sense my tsh has always been under 3 but my t4 is certainly at the low end and I've no idea what my t3 has been because its never been measured until I started meds - I would be very interested to see what it was!!! The fact that all of my dads side has thyroid disease wasn't considered important.

I am sure there are many with similar infuriating stories. It's trying to focus towards a positive journey to wellness.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
susieq0726
Senior Veteran
(female)

Moo,
I think starting out low is a better approach too, as going hyper is awful. I was even trying 1/8th of a grain of Nature Throid (which is about 8mcgs) and was STILL having issues with it.
My mother was diagnosed with hypothyroidism right after I was born and she's been on Synthroid for years. But she doesn't have Hashi's. She's lucky. Hashi's is a whole other mess.
I just want to feel better. I haven't felt right for over a year now.

Last edited by susieq0726; 03-30-2012 at 12:50 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to susieq0726:
Moo77 (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
Moo77
(female)

Moo77 HB User

I understand hashis can be very difficult as you 'swing' a lot.

Don't worry you'll get there susie- but it's the inbetweens that are difficult

Hang in there x

Last edited by Moo77; 03-30-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Closed Thread