It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

changes in swelling/edema?: adrenal testing? diuretics? draining process?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
thefourthmairi
(female)

thefourthmairi HB Userthefourthmairi HB User
changes in swelling/edema?: adrenal testing? diuretics? draining process?

so, i 've posted before about having Hashi's and facial swelling, which is still somewhat present but it has greatly improved in the last week or two. However, during this time, I gained 8 pounds and 9 inches to my waist (currently down to between 3 and 6 lbs, and only 5 in. to waist). This happened after my TSH hit 3.010 (FT4 1.29 of 0.89 to 1.76 range, T4 Total 8.4 of 4.5 to 12.5 range, no T3 or anitbody levels tested, will be testing next labs), and my Synthroid had been increased by 25 mcg for almost 2 weeks. I have no new thyroid labs since, but I still have some symptoms (which could also be adrenal symptoms), and I have some improvement to my energy levels.

Part of me wants to think my facial swelling is draining but it's causing abdominal swelling in the process, but i feel like i know better (my stomach logically wouldn't swell MORE than my face did, and my face still has some puff to it). For those of you with swelling, what was it like when the swelling finally started to go away? Did you find the swelling migrated before it drained or did you just wake up one day and find yourself a bit de-puffed, and find this experience repeating until all the swelling was gone?

If the levels go back to where they were last weekend with my stomach, I will need to look at diuretics, and I may still be there. Anyone used those? Do they even help if the swelling is thyroid related?

My primary MD is questioning if there's adrenal involvement, now that the swelling is in my stomach. He thought the face was allergy related, but now he's asking my endo to test for Cushing's (which only partially seems to fit).

My understanding is the Cushing's test would still shed light adrenal insufficiency levels...but the testing process looks pretty intense any way it's done. (24 hours of urine collection or injections and recurring blood tests? Finding a lab open at 11 pm for a saliva test seems like my best option, not sure how accurate that is....) Anyone done adrenal testing? Any feedback on the experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread