It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Parathyroid issues? + How to get diagnosed...?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
asp1079
(female)

asp1079 HB User
Question Parathyroid issues? + How to get diagnosed...?

I've been having a lot of issues lately similar to hypothyroid problems. I have terrible pain in my thyroid area, like a feeling of pulsing and swelling at times. PMS makes it all worse, including thyroid swelling. EXCEPT, when I did my labs like 5 months ago, around the time the issues started, everything came back 'normal', doctors said. My TSH level was 1.1 and nothing was overly elevated or too low.

But, here is the twist... my GP, not the endo ironically enough, pointed out that my calcium levels were about 11.0, and my vitamin D level was dropping towards the low 20s. They said I could possibly have a parathyroid issue.

Has anyone here ever had a parathyroid problem?
How were you diagnosed? I suspect I might by hyper since my calcium level is too high, but who knows. After discussing it with my GP and doing research I've discovered I have a lot of hyper symptoms, like the feeling of pain in the bones, nausea with certain foods, randomly rapid and unsteady heartbeat, depression, sluggishness, etc. etc. I guess that's why I originally thought I had hypo... except one thing tipped me off, which was I wasn't rapidly gaining weight which is a major hypo symptom.

Anyway, any advice on how to get diagnosed and deal with a possible parathyroid issue is much appreciated. I know testing for parathyroid is much more extensive, so I am a little worried about it. But I have been in majorly weird pain over a long period of time, in the bones and sometimes abdominals (which accompanies nausea) and the thyroid area, so I'm getting desperate.

One annoying thing is I don't have a PTH level result, which would've majorly helped, I know. I believe the doctors when they say the labs are normal, I double-checked about normal levels and it seems mine are. But I think I might still have a tumor or something inside the ultra sound didn't pick up, plus maybe the calcium level is trying to show I am really messed up. I heard it is possible to have a parathyroid adenoma that ultrasounds usually don't pick up, so maybe this is why the pain is still there but docs say I am OK there... Also, the 11.0 calcium level is really worrying me, since I've heard that is not normal.

Thanks to all who respond. Sorry this got so complicated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
Reece
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Parathyroid issues? + How to get diagnosed...?

I don't know if you have a parathyroid problem (I guess there are tests the endo would do on parathyroids or maybe an ultrasound), but high calcium levels can also actually be a symptom of bone loss---maybe a bone scan?

It also might be that you are only slightly over the lab range? If so, maybe it's not anything worrisome at all. My endo. once said that calcium is complicated to test when I asked him. Also, are you taking vitamins/supplements with calcium? That can also affect your levels.

Hopefully you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Reece; 04-03-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
estelle454
(female)

estelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB User
Re: Parathyroid issues? + How to get diagnosed...?

You need a blood test and a ct scan of your neck area.

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, diagnosis, parathyroid, testing