It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

edema vs. weight gain? any thoughts? anything that's helped?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
thefourthmairi
(female)

thefourthmairi HB Userthefourthmairi HB User
edema vs. weight gain? any thoughts? anything that's helped?

So, I don't have any new labs since Jan, I have some coming in early May, doc felt like it was too soon to test anything more still for at least another 3 weeks.

Right around 2 weeks into my dose increase to 75 mcg my face started to depuff for the first time in months. It's been almost two weeks now of seeing my bone structure every day for more than a few minutes!

I thought (with some encouragement from other docs) that I had fluid moving around my trunk that had suddenly (literally overnight) puffed up my stomach with a more than 5 inch gain to my waist. but my endo thinks I have fat that's moving around my body and frequently relocating and i just need to focus on weight loss, which she basically said would be incredibly difficult still since i'm still getting used to my dose and may need a very slight increase. Weight is exclusively either in my abdominal region/hips/thighs, and levels will move back and forth a bit from day to day.

Anyone ever heard of transient fat? This seems awfully jiggly and movable for that fat I've had in my body in the past....that always seems attached to something!

She did indicate she'd check T3 next labs, and as soon as thyroid levels are squared away we'd check adrenals if I wasn't all better, but basically said testing different hormones when one is off mucks up the results of the other tests a lot of the time.

Any truth to this? Anyone with adrenal issues got any feedback on the turn around time if there is a cortisol issue?

Does T3 help if it's weight gain not edema?

I had seen a lot of progress (taken several inches off) drinking tons of pure cranberry juice and this doc claims it's just making me fatter because it's high in sugar/calories. Not sure if it's worth cutting out completely. Thoughts? I'd seen some posts here about high potassium being good for edema....

This doc seems to have her head on straight for the most part, but I'm feeling really lost and despairing and I'd love any feedback at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
crjones
(female)

crjones HB User
Re: edema vs. weight gain? any thoughts? anything that's helped?

I'm looking forward to hear what others have to say. I just had T3 added to the mix and I think it's helped my energy levels - I don't wake up wanting to just stay in bed all day now. So with more energy, I think I should see some weight loss - as long as I'm eating well and moving.

I read a book that talked about the 3-legged stool of sex hormones, adrenals, and thyroid and when one is off, the others are off. I know my sex hormones and thyroid is out of sorts, but the cortisol test wasn't a good one (only blood work in the AM instead of saliva) so that didn't really show anything. However, I do feel I have adrenal issues as well because of my insomnia and "wired but tired" feeling. I do think they need to test everything though to get a full picture. And I have also read that adrenals should be taken care of first - before thyroid.

Good luck! And I will be checking in to see how you are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to crjones For This Useful Post:
thefourthmairi (04-06-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
thefourthmairi
(female)

thefourthmairi HB Userthefourthmairi HB User
Re: edema vs. weight gain? any thoughts? anything that's helped?

Thanks so much for writing back!

And please, please, please keep me posted on the T3!

This was useful about the bloodwork vs. saliva, too, I'm super grateful!... I'm trying to make sure I ask her about getting a thorough test. I think I logically understand readings get off when two things are being changed at once, but I've had basically 3 docs tell me to get my adrenals tested.

I'm pretty sure there's something just plain "missing" and I can't figure out whether it's T3 or adrenal, but I live in a state where I need a doctor to test...and I'm terrible at waiting!

I really truly can't cut out sugar completely, docs are really fascinated by how much better I am when I take in a moderate but small amount, and how much my mood/energy/everything improves with sugar.

I'm currently investigating the blood type diet (which I can't fully do for my type A--heavy in soy--but I'm looking at Type O and trying to do what I can for Type A).

Has vinegar worked for anyone?

And any thoughts about edema vs. fat gain? In the end, does it actually matter?

But I'm willing to try or look at just about anything right now!

Closed Thread