It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Severe hypothyroid from prolonged zinc, magnesium and b6 supplementation

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
BoyfromPoland
(male)

BoyfromPoland HB User
Severe hypothyroid from prolonged zinc, magnesium and b6 supplementation

Hello, first sorry for my english, im not from us
As i mentioned in the title, i've got tough hypothyroid, i've been taking vit b6 zinc and magnesium for very long time ( 3 years daily). The doc ive talked to recently told me that its mainly from zinc build up in the body and lack of copper and impaired iron metabolism (impaired iron mobilization). He said its something similar to low ferritin. I have ferritin but my body cant use it properly because copper is needed to do it.
I started to supplement with copper and iron and feel the difference. (3 moths now) 2 days ago i experimented with vitamin d too (took 4000 iu) and it also helped alot (for 2 days only). Is it possible for vitamin d to help with hypothyroidism??
I experiment with many nutrients, and for now theres a couple of substances which help me:

selenium
iron (heme iron preparation), copper
vitamin d
vitamin b12 (???)
calcium
iodised salt

What else can help, what do you think??
The doc ive talked to said it can take months or years to clear excess zinc from my body, its horrible to even think about it, anyone else had this issue?
I cant function properly, i cant exercise, ive got severe brain fog, weakness, dizziness, my face is bloated from water (although after supplements it changes for a while but a few hours later recurrs).
What do you think about it? Thank for answers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Bran'sNana
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Re: Severe hypothyroid from prolonged zinc, magnesium and b6 supplementation

All your symptoms sound like hypo thyroid. your doc thinks zinc did it? i thought people who were hypo are supposed to have some zinc? Maybe you took too much? I know selenium is good for antibodies and also to convert T-4 to T-3, so if that's low that's a good supplement. I have taken it on and off in the past. I take B-12 everyday 500 and also take 2,000 units of D in the winter. Most people who have thyroid disease have low vitamin D.you should continue that. The iron is good too if you're low in it but the most important is the thyroid replacement med. You need that more than anything if your body isn't making enough. B vitamins are water soluble so what you don't need you pee out. I take 50 mgs of the B's everyday.

Last edited by Bran'sNana; 04-07-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
distantdrum
(female)

distantdrum HB User

BoyfromPoland,

Has your doctor prescribed you levothyroxine?

Last edited by distantdrum; 04-08-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
lisa789
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

What else can help, what do you think??
I never heard of hypoT being caused by too much zinc in the body. I cannot say it's not possible, but so far never heard of it.
I'd have a full thyroid panel run if possible, being TSH, FT4, FT3 and as far as antibodies are concerned antiTPO and antithyroglobuline. that should give more information.
Most cases of hypothyroid are caused by hashimoto,auto-immunity,that's were the antibodies are relevant.
In case of hypoT you need thyroid supplementation, did you doctor prescribe that?

good luck!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Bran'sNana
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Yes I was taking synthetic and was having some problems on it so i asked to switch to Armour thyroid. I never had severe symptoms. Also didn't have really low labs either but was more hypo than my body liked. I screwed myself up mostly switching around meds and doses but see now it takes patience to get on the right track. I have like joint pain when I get too low ( the only complaint really for me right now) so I tend to want it to go away now!! Plus trying to decipher what is hypo and hyper for me still confuses me. and I've been at this for some time.

Closed Thread